Noisy snorkel or something else?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:25
ThreadID: 54605 Views:4395 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Since I have had my 4runner (may last year, 2.8D) I have noticed that there is a noise coming from the snorkel, like a vibration. No amount of tightening can stop it. Previous owner even put a piece of thick rubber under the bracket that attaches to the A pillar. Anyway, today I think I might have figured it out. Here's a rundown.

Start the car in the morning and drive 6km to work - snorkel seems like it vibrates like mad. But the noise seems more like a reverberation than a vibration, if you know what I mean. Lasts all the way there.

Well today on the way home I noticed that it wasn't making any noise at all. Could it be that it is an intake noise that is different in the morning due to cooler, more dense air? In the arvo it is a warmer ambient temperature. Your thoughts. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not causing any problem, it just gives me the whatsnames.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:41

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:41
Took me a while to get used to the intake noise on my snorkel, since I normally drive with the window down. But it is more of a noise and at first I thought I had a small hole in the exhaust or a leaky exhaust manifold. It does increase with revs and not road speed, while there is a little whistle at higher speeds as the slipstream passes the snorkel.

Is the engine diesel or petrol?
AnswerID: 287658

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:46

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:46
Diesel, 2.8L non turbo. I don't think it increases with engine revs but not sure as I try not to pay attention to it. Doesn't go fast enough to generate a slipstream. LOL

The one I had on my GQ Patrol 4.2D was really quiet. Different brand snorkel though. This one is a Safari, one on Patrol was an Airtec.
FollowupID: 552917

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:42

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:42
It's obvious, the car is just happy to bring you home from work but grumbles going to the sweatshop.
AnswerID: 287660

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:52

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:52
Try running a test.
Reverse to work in the mornings and see if it still does it then reverse home at night and see if it does it then.

If so you might have to buy another car just to travel too work and use that one for the trip home only.:-())))))))))))
FollowupID: 552918

Reply By: blue one - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:52

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:52
Louie,
I had a rattle on a new snorkle instaled by ARB. Took the guard off and found the mid connection of the Safari not connected. Bit of silcon on the joints placed the flexible connection correctly tightened the screw clamps and all was good.

Cheers
AnswerID: 287663

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:59

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:59
Louie,

It is /was a common problem with the 2.8 diesel Hilux/4 Runner.

There is only one cure and that is to fit a turbo.

A lot of attempts were made to fix the problem but they may reduce the vibration a little but will not fix it. Fitting a turbo will stop the vibration.

This is the only vehicle motor combination that has the snorkel vibration as thought he dash is going to fall out.

Wayne
AnswerID: 287665

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 19:36

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 19:36
It's probably just induction resonance.

They all do it to some extent maybe just more noticeable in the cold or before the engine has warmed up.
AnswerID: 287673

Reply By: oldpop - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 20:55

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 20:55
Louie

Had the same problem snorkel not bolted tight to guard and connecting sleeve not done up pull inner guard panel off and tighten up a little bit of silicone on joints most of vibs gone

Regards
Oldpop
AnswerID: 287684

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 21:06

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 21:06
Hi Louie, I had one on my 2.8lux (safari). Its more a resonating noise then any thing (unless its actually rubbing on body). When you take the ram off the top there should be a washer type (flat) that sits on top of the tube under the ram with a hole in it roughly the size of a 20c piece. This reduces the intake noise/resonate dramatically. I took it out just to try the difference and it was that noisy that it would drive my wife nuts in the passengers seat even with out window down. Wind down the window and thats all you could hear. This metal plate/washer bout 1.5mm thickness should only be taken out when running a turbo for obvious reasons (to suck more air). You dont have to have it in there for any other reason then to stop the noise. It doesnt reduce power, fuel consumption or anything else. The 2.8 doesnt have enogh grunt to require any more air through the ram unless as said above and running a turbo. As mentioned in above post the only way to reduce it totally is turbo but with washer in place no major issue. You can see the washer in the picture below. Item under the clamp.Hope this helps you with the problem.Regards Steve M

AnswerID: 287686

Sponsored Links