Barge from Cape York to Cairns

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:43
ThreadID: 5461 Views:9929 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Does anyone know about the availability of a barge from Cape York to Cairns. I have heard that you have have you 4wd loaded onto a barge and shipped back to Cairns if you are short of time.

Jen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:58

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:58
G'day Jen,

Heres the link you want - and it's not exactly a barge :) :)

I have been thinking of doing the same trip but have been advised you need to book quite some time in advance.

You would be better off doing the trip Cairns - Bamaga (and not reverse) during the winter months - unless of course you are a bloody good sailor and would enjoy punching into a sou' easter for several days on the southerly trip frokm the Cape to Cairns.

Just a point to consider.

Look here:

http://www.seaswift.com.au/passenger.htm

enjoy the bush

DennisN
AnswerID: 22569

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 17:35

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 17:35
Jenelle it takes about 3 days for the trip i think and people say its a good trip and you are well looked after .As old soldier says you would have to book early as they dont take to many passengers.
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
Eric 02 4294 3496
Peter 07 4094 1745
Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 22672

Reply By: bigred - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 21:48

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 21:48
Hi Jen A trip a couple of years age to the top a friend in a troopy got sick of corrigations, moving camp and dust. decided to put the vehicle and my second spare, in a container, on a a container type ship (hardly a barge) leaving from SIESA.the trip took approximately 48hrs compartments where small, but comfy.his had a bathroom attatched, cost was approximatley $1350.00 the crew very friendly ,food good and they considered this another part of the trip nobody else in the party had done another part of the adventure happy tripping
AnswerID: 22831

Sponsored Links