Melbourne access

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:53
ThreadID: 54621 Views:1569 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are traveling from Brisbane through to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. We would like to find a caravan park from which we could catch a train into Melbourne to do the tourist sites. Could somebody please advise the best area to stop. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:05

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:05
Gday - are you coming into Melbourne off the Hume Freeway - if so there is a caravan park at Craigieburn - called Apollo Gardens - 039305 5656 - which is not too far from a railway station - ora Big 4 at Coburg - closer into the city - Melbourne Big 4 - 039354 3533 - I know some of the people on this site have stayed at these - and been quite satisfied - both are easy to find - well signposted - and you are on the right side of the city to get down to the Great Ocean Road.
While in Melbourne make sure you head down past Federation Square to the parklands down there - as well as Southbank - they have a market on Sunday - and I think a Friday evening one - and check out the "City cirle" tram - I think it is free to just get on and off - at Federation Square (right opposite Flinders Street Station) there is a Melbourne City tourist place who can give you all the info you need to see this great city at its best
AnswerID: 287756

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:53

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:53
Ken,
We did a similar trip 18months ago, but going in the opposite direction. We stayed at the Barwon Heads Caravan Park and caught the train into Melbourne from Marshal, which I think is the end of the suburban line, with a well lit parking area.Its about 10mins up the road from the van park. From there its about an hour into Melbourne, but it beats driving and then finding somewhere to park.
Barwon Heads CP is where some of the Sea Change TV series was located - wharf, Lauras cottage etc, and they are still there. There are camping and van sites overlooking the water - very pleasant spot, though very busy in school holidays. We were there in term time and it was very quiet.

The railway people turned a blind eye to our out-of-state seniors card, and there are fare discounts if you travel out of peak hours.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287763

Follow Up By: Member - Ken I (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:19

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:19
Thank you for your replies. We have booked a site.
FollowupID: 553259

Sponsored Links