Google maps on mobile phone

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:09
ThreadID: 54623 Views:1710 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I installed google maps on my GSM mobile phone some time ago & found it quite useful on occasions when walking around the City with a mini map. I've just downloaded the latest version & found that by pressing the '0' key it will now work out where you are to within a couple of hundred metres, not great accuracy & no where near GPS quality but pretty clever all the same. It uses triangulation & determines roughly where you are by the signals recieved from various GSM cell sites.
I have google maps on an older Ericson phone but the '0' option does not work on it so it seems this option does not work on all phones with browsers, works fine on my Nokia N series though.
You can get the new version by punching www.google.com.au/gmm into your phone browser & it should detect the phone type & download the correct version.
Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:06

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:06
If you have a N series Nokia you can put Tom Tom mobile on it and with a bluetooth GPS have voice navigation as well Much better than the AGPS that runs off cell sites.
The bloothooth GPS will work while its in your pocket even and you will get funny looks when you go into a shop and it says " do a u turn" LOl But I use it all the time in the city
AnswerID: 287772

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 17:02

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 17:02
The Garmin maps also work very well on the 6110 or N95 phone, with also will do tracklog and offroad application
FollowupID: 553088

Reply By: time waster - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:38

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:38
I've got the nokia 6110 how do I go about puttung Garmin maps on it ?
Thanks
Christian
AnswerID: 287886

Sponsored Links