access 4wd camper trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:51
ThreadID: 54628 Views:2148 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if it is feasable to take a camper trailer along the Halligan track to access Lake Eyre.?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddie - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:39

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:39
Yes you can when its open I did it in may 2006, at the end is a bus stop style parking bay a very exposed and hot place to camp, we walked on the lake for a few hours then did the trip back to William Creek and on to Lake Cadi for the night, a much nicer spot to camp.
regards David
AnswerID: 287779

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:46

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 13:46
Provided you have a purpose built off road camper you will have no problems. Most of the off road trailers these days are well built and will not cause trouble.

The track itself is pretty easy, most of it could be done in two wheel drive. However I did talk to a guy at William Creek who was spending the remainder of his holiday recovering a "really good" trailer from that track.

He had beefed up his old box trailer for the trip to Lake Eyre. I saw it at the side of the track, it was a good solid trailer and would probably have survived going back and forth to the tip for years, but the corrugations on the good dirt roads between Melbourne and the Halligan track had taken their toll. It had broken a spring hanger and badly bent the axle.

The camping out there was quite nice, in amongst the dunes but there was not a lot of protection when the wind got up and we had one of the more memorable nights in our time as campers there

Duncs
AnswerID: 287780

Sponsored Links