My version of a top mount TD42 intercooler.

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 18:33
ThreadID: 54632 Views:6617 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Oh Oh, Truckster's going to be very jealous of this one.

We have been building this one for a while, it's an extended length custom core using the original endtanks apart from cutting off the relatively small tubing on the intake end and replacing it with 2.5" 64mm tubing.
Finally got to fit it today, the rear sits in the original position and all the original piping bolts up as they normally do. The front mounts are custom as I had to cut the original bracket to allow the inlet tube to pass through the the mounting bracket that runs from the firewall to the radiator support panel.
Piping from turbo to intercooler is obviously custom and expands quickly up to 2.5" 64mm right at the turbo outlet.
There is room to access both oil filler cap and power steering reservoir cap without any difficulty.
The customer will try it out both on the road and dyno's and do some back to back comparisons with the standard intercooler which can be refitted at any time within about 10-15 minutes.
Once we have some usable data we will look at either converting it to water to air or build a new water to air intercooler in the same configuration.
Regards Andrew.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 20:24

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 20:24
Holy beejeezus batman, I reckon more than Truckster will be jealous at this creation Andrew.

One very nice piece of art. Would love to see dyno figures when you get your paws on them. See if you can get some useable egt's with and without this monster sitting atop the old oiler.

How does the owner intend to feed it, is there a thermo fan pushing air into it (doesn't look like there would be room for one), or is it just going to be fed via the original bonnet scoop? Reckon, either a taller scoop (to force feed more air into it) or a fan would optimise the effectiveness of it all. I am sure you have enough in reserve with this setup anyway, but why not maximise it hey?

How much extra volume does it hold over the original? have you tried to work this out or do you even care? I can see it is HEAPS larger but I am curious as to HOW MUCH LARGER.

Keep up the good work. Will you be dropping dyno figures on the bottom of this thread or starting another? (I will thread watch this one, if you intend on tacking figures to bottom of this thread)

Thanks for the pics,
Trevor.
AnswerID: 287826

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 20:37

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 20:37
Cane toads can't apply to have one of these monsters!!!! Back in ya hole Trev!!!!! hahahaha
FollowupID: 553112

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:11

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:11
Andrew, I was obviously talking about intake temps and not EGT's but I am sure you would have guessed this already anyway.

Roachie, WHY NOT? I'll be good......I promise....won't use it to hurt anyone.....please...please...please, I promise I'll be good LOL!!!

TRevor.
FollowupID: 553169

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:25

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:25
Trevor, It is my inter cooler, plan to only use the bonnet scoop at present. Further plans are to water cool the inter cooler to allow it to work at slow speeds. Just need a radiator, pump, etc etc, further $, but hey, you only live once. Have no idea of the extra volume it holds, but it is much better flowing, picked up a pound of boost. It is nearly 50% bigger than standard. Dyno figures will be done soon, standard cooler and modified one, then when the water cooled one is done, dyno that. Stay tuned. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 553377

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 14:15

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 14:15
Bast@rd!

Dude here at work is making a water to air, but has a control unit that runs a spray jet like windscreen sprayer.. Basically, this control unit connects to a temp sender on the ICooler, and when it gets to a certain temp, it sprays until it cools enough.. this can be a matter of seconds.
New Intelligent Intercooler Water Spray Controller

it also tells you when the water tank is gettin empty.

This may save some work..
FollowupID: 553411

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:35

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:35
Good link Truckster, Thanks. I was thinking of something similar to this for my radiator (years ago now) but felt it was all too hard back then.

Since seeing this thread, I thought why can't I get an extra radiator put up where the TD6 intercoolers are and add a bonnet scoop for cooling. This way I will increase water capacity in the cooling system by heaps, increase cooling efficiency of cooling system by heaps and hopefully eliminate the warm runnings of my GU???? anyone see any flaws in this idea? I figure the weight up top and the constant pounding vibrations on the corrogations may really test the brackets this radiator is mounted on but apart from that it seems quite plausable.

My intercooler is front mounted so I do not need to re-route any plumbing, making it seem to easy??? maybe I am getting too hopeful and ahead of myself though.

Any news on the dyno figures John?

Cheers Guys,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 555115

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 22:01

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 22:01
Sh#@*t, that looks like mine..............................

Dyno figures will be posted in about a weeks time. Original and modified and then when the water/air I/C is done, will dyno that and post all figures.

I believe the water/air I/C is more suited to what I do, not flat out speed/power, but offroad touring, sand dunes, big hills etc, when the air /air I/C is just a big heat sink.

Thanks Andrew, wonderful work.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 287848

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:04

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:04
So it didn't fall off when you were driving home then John? lol.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 553192

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 00:01

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 00:01
Andrew, bruce wouldn't want that one anyway. He has always a bigger one wouldn't make any difference when I argued that was where the restriction is in the I/C GUs. Its too big for him. he would have to go hard to keep up with a 100 anyway. LOL
AnswerID: 287865

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:57

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:57
Amazing job ,,,,, wow

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 287875

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:57

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:57
Amazing job ,,,,, wow

Cheers
Bucky