Removable drawers/storage

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:20
ThreadID: 54661 Views:4036 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I found the removable rear storage box containing drawers and a fridge slide on the Opposite Lock website

I am a regular viewer of the forum, plenty good advice found in the past, and hope to get some feedback from you on these.

Reason is that although I go on major treks, I also need the third row seats in my LC when at home (sadly 48+weeks of the year). Previous 4wd had the permanent drawers. Great use off road, but it took me two hours to install/uninstall.

I found the Roller Drawers and slides on the OL web page (code RD00) that is simply a box that you fix to the existing cargo tie downs with turn-buckles. The drawers contain plastic storage boxes that you can lift out. Any good/bad/ugly experiences or views on these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:42

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:42
I know people who have bought a set and they like them. From what I can see they are very expensive for what you get.

Before I built my own drawers we used the set of plastic drawer boxes from Bunnings or similar. Worked a treat very light weight just need to be carefull what you stack on top. We just strapped them down to the rear restraint mounts.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287920

Follow Up By: Member - jjt98 (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 13:59

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 13:59
Hi - Same goes for me with the plastic containers. I have just built 2 x 2 draw cabinets for the back of my Disco. Light weight & I can just take them out when ever i want (not bolted or strapped in, they just fit snug beside the Engel - $250 approx). I've been told that the equivalent to buy would be around the $600 mark.

Sorry, rambling on a bit.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 553215

Reply By: stocky - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 16:10

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 16:10
I have the OL stuff - pricey yes - could have built em myself - but time was off the essence this time!

Very happy with them!

PS OL slide is NOT tilt - i made that bit :-)
AnswerID: 287958

Follow Up By: CJ - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:09

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:09
Stocky

Your setup is almost exactly the one that I am looking at (except for the tilt fridge - I'll have a normal one)

There are two options. 1) would be a double drawer, and a separate fridge slide. 2) is a double drawer with a fridge slade as one unit, with a lid over the top.

I prefer the second, it means I can pack over and on the side of the fridge. Without the fridge covered one has stuff falling into the space when you pull it open.

I appreciate your feedback - good to hear from someone that actually used it!

CJ
FollowupID: 553256

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 16:31

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 16:31
Hi CJ

I like the idea of easily removeable, so had a go at making my own. Have a look at the unit in my rig pics, from memory about $500 worth of materials all up. The draw runners allow the removal of the drawers and homemade slide for the 80 l waeco, and there is a thin shelf above the fridge slide for the barbie plate and stand. Ther is just enough room for std 20l crates above, and I can have the unit out of the car in about 10 minutes. It has 3 bolts through the 2 20x50 rhs crosmembers into the std luggage tie downs, and a couple of screws through the cargo barrier. the crosmembers underneath allow for the use of the exixting kids seat anchor points.

The 2 drawers hold heaps of stuff, and softer items like snatch straps etc are generally stuffed down the side. the unit lifts strait out and just fits between the open doors.

It took a fair while to build, I can see where the money is in the professionally built version (if you put a valueon on the labour). I rarely take it out of the car, but ist is fairly easy (the cargo barrier takes longer than the drawers!

Hope this helps,

Cheers ANdrew
AnswerID: 287962

Reply By: Philip A - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 16:44

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 16:44
Well I have a set of plastic drawers which are available from Go Lo and others for $38.
Mine were an earlier set which have a divider between each drawer. I glued all the joints of the plastic "click in" frame with building adhesive.
I tie the drawer frame to the dog guard with a velcro tie, and have velcro ties on each drawer to keep them closed.
Obviously the setup is for light stuff like food.
I cracked a drawer trying to pull it out with the cutting board jammed in it, and I was able to buy a new drawer EXACTLY like it, in a new set of 5 for $38.
I have had this setup for about 6 or 7 years now and it works fine and weighs about 5 KG.
I could not believe the weight of the fancy custom made drawer sets at 80Kg (or the price!). thats about 50% of the load rating of a Lexus.LOL

IMHO unless you want stack hand winches inside them most of the sets available are vastly overengineered for the purpose.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 287965

Reply By: CJ - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:21

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:21
I appreciate the feedback guys, good to be able to hear from people actually using similar products. I can purchase with more confidence as a result. Thanks!
AnswerID: 287973

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:57

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 17:57
CJ,

We produce top quality drawers from $850. Full roller bearing assembly, 100 kg capacity per drawer, carpeted, alloy trim, locking handles and 5 year warranty.

They bolt straight into your luggage points in the back and take less than ten minutes to fit or remove.

Our website is www.bestoffroad.net.au

You can get me anytime on 0411 874406 or at the factory during BH on 03 9706 6527.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 287983

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 00:24

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 00:24
Forum Rules:

Advertising - self-promoting posts will be deleted from the Forum but ads can be placed on relevant articles and pages of the site. Please read this section if you have a product/service you want to promote to our audience

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 553334

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 22:16

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 22:16
Built mine out of mdf.

I have a double height shelf unit and a fridge slide.

I can put the fridge on its slide without removing any of the seats. Just fold up the left 3rd row seat, bolt the slide in and fit the fridge. I can still use the right 3rd row seat.

My shelf system has been modified for every trip we have done. Sometimes it is two shelves high, sometimes jsut one. It is divided into pigeon holes which take plastic storage boxes. It is also divided across the shelf with half accessed from the rear of the car and the other half accessed by folding the second row seat forward.

It takes me about 20min to remove and store the seats and install the fridge slide and shelf unit. About the same going the other way.

I was always going to use it as a template for a flash alloy job but as I say I keep changing the design.

If I was at home I would put some pics up but I'm not sorry.

Duncs
AnswerID: 288057

Sponsored Links