Towing Horse Trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 20:33
ThreadID: 54677 Views:3188 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have been ropped into towing a neighbors horse trailer along with two horses (not ponys) about 45ks to the Megalong Valley. Although I have towed a box trailer I have never towed any thing as large as this. The float is fitted with Electric Brakes so there fore I must fit a controller. Can I just have the controller fitted via velcro to an appropriate location and have the controll wire connected to my 7 pin socket on a casual basis. I think all that is required is Ign and ground (Ve and Vg) and the control / (output)???

What precautions should I take uphills and down? Tow vehicle is a 4.5 Ltr LC 100 Auto.

Thanks

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunaruna - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:00

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:00
The controller has 4 wires - batt+ (black), earth (white), brake lights (red) and service brakes (blue). The red connects into pin 6 at the trailer base, the blue to pin 5. The Black goes directly to battery via a 20amp circuit breaker.

This needs to be hard wired into your vehicle but the controller can be removed leaving a connection plug under your dash. Spend the extra bucks and get a prodigy especially for a rig that heavy.

Speaking of heavy, is you towbar rated sufficiently?

Stay well away from overdrive and seriously consider an oversize trans cooler.
AnswerID: 288014

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:16

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:16
This is good advise, However If you are only going 45ks, then a transmission cooler is not needed provided you are going to be at full throttle for an extented period of time.
Shane
FollowupID: 553294

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:17

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:17
. . . . . . . . . provided you are NOT going to be at full throttle. . . . . .
FollowupID: 553295

Follow Up By: Bill n Di - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:31

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:31
One more tip re the horses, the larger/heaviest one should be loaded on the right/drivers side of the float unless its a scrambler.

Also if no stallion divider between their heads, tie them so they can't bite each other, otherwise the float will be moving about as they lunge at each other. Tie the leadrope to some baling twine so they can break away if they panic.

Always go slowly around corners, braking etc as everyone has said.
FollowupID: 553380

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:12

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:12
BIG tip, Horse's don't like sudden movements, take your time.
If you upset the horses going there, the're not gunna get back in.
Tow vehicle is argueably one of the most desirable for horse float, plenty of power and auto.
As for the controller, requirements vary from state to state as to what is required, If you use the basic type, you will have to adjust the amount of braking force required on the day.
Gently does it, both uphill and down, if going down you should be in a gear that makes the motor control the speed and NOT be on the brakes, little dab here and there OK, on the brakes from top to bottom will be no good for anybody (except the brake repair man).
Mount it how you feel is suitable, It will have to go thru the plug, just ensure that the pole you feed power to is correctly aligned with the plug on the trailer.
I think it will be better to permantly have the wire from the plug to the in cab controller if you find yourself doing this again simply for the conveniance and just plug in the controller when needed.
You can buy multi wire plugs from any autoparts store so I'd do the wiring properly and have the plug "hidden", If in the future , you get the phone call All you have to do is Stick the controller in is tempory home, plug it in and go.
This may seem a big operation for a one off job, But i think you suspect that you'll be doing it again, if so I'd do right the fisrt time.

Shane
AnswerID: 288021

Reply By: Dunaruna - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:44

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 21:44
My bad, I misread the 45km as 450!
AnswerID: 288045

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 23:15

Sunday, Feb 17, 2008 at 23:15
I/we tow a horse float on a regular basis. Horses are not sure footed inside a float. Do not take corners sharply or fast. A horse that falls is a real B to get back on their feet, even worse if you've got 2 horses in the float. Don't break hard -same problem.

If the car starts to jerk up and down pretty much guess the horse/s are stamping. You may need to stop and calm them.
Some horses hate trucks behind them- our's does.

Basically take it easy keep an ear out break in plenty of time and take bends slowly.

Have fun.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288065

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 07:38

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 07:38
Thanks Guys for all your suggestions. As the add says "I feel better now ".

I will take all advice and have a controller fitted as I feel this wont be the last time.

Regards

JD
AnswerID: 288098

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:09

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:09
Treading Lightly isn't a name one would thought would go with towing horse floats, especially if it becomes more frequent. You may consider Lighter Wallet. LOL
FollowupID: 553388

Reply By: brushmarx - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:01

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:01
I regularly tow a float with generally one horse, and occasionally two and they are both bad travellers, stomping around and kicking especially when stopped at traffic lights.
Continual movement can make the bastards think twice about balance being more important than attitude.
The best and simplest way to keep them calm is a full hay net in front of them. A biscuit of hay will shut them up for the best part of an hour. Just ensure this is all right with the owners/riders because a gut full of food is not real good just before serious riding or competition work.
As previously said, slow acceleration, steady smooth braking, and slow corners help.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 288116

Sponsored Links