Waeco failures Vs EvaKool failures

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 22:19
ThreadID: 5470 Views:9369 Replies:12 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi internet campers. I'm in the market for a new fridge and have narrowed the field to either a CF 80 Waeco or a RF 60 EvaKool with the Waeco ahead by a nose. I have read the postings in the archive section and was hoping people could get back to me, if and only if, they have PERSONALLY owned one of these devices AND have had a failure of any sort. This will help with my decision on which brand I purchase. Sorry to be so particular but there is a lot of money at stake here.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: boof - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 22:48

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 22:48
Derek, the only problem I have had with waeco is the fuse holder in the 240 to 12 volt converted, the small plastic screw cap breaks the fuse holder out of the main body, but as far as fridge performance goes I and quite happy with my waeco of 2 years, and my engel of 15years, both run for approx 6 mths of each year.
AnswerID: 22608

Reply By: Member - David - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 07:42

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 07:42
Hi Derek,
I have owned a RF 60 EvaKool now for about twelve months. I am completely happy with its performance, this includes a two week stay last Christmas on North Stradbroke Island. When camping the fridge mostly sits in a fridge slide atop a draw system I made myself in the back of a GQ Patrol.
Hope this helps, cheers David
AnswerID: 22621

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:55

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:55
Also own an RF60 and I am very impressed. Would recommend. Suggest you talk to a danfoss repair agent to get another opinion. I did, and was swayed to the EvaKool.
AnswerID: 22630

Reply By: Old Soldier - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:05

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:05
G'day Derek,

I don't have a CF-80, but I am more than happy with my CF-50. It has never let me down in a wide variety of bush situations and temperatures.

Yet, I often hear about how unreliable they are.

The funny thing is these stories do NOt come from people who own them. It is always someone who "knew someone, who knew someone, etc." .....

I think the term is "urban myth".

The same goes with Volvos.

At one time in my life I had quite a string of them in a row and was more than happy with them in all aspects. Surprisingly they even perform well if driven hard.

One night at a Sergeants mess in Melbourne there was a bloke at the bar running Volvos down something bad.

"Have you had a bad experience with one?" I enquired.

"No" was his answer.

"Have you ever owned one?" was my next question.

That got another "No"

"Have you ever driven one?" was my next query.

"No" was the answer.

"Have you ever been in one?" was my final question.

You guessed his answer to that one.

"Well I have owned 7 of them, and never had a problem in any area." I replied "So what do you base your EXPERT opinion on?"

This bar room "expert" made no further comment and eventually slunk off to the other end of the bar.

You see it everywhere - all these so called "experts".

Take your advice on this thread only from "owners" of the 2 products

:) :)

enjoy the bush

DennisN

AnswerID: 22632

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:37

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:37
Good Stuff OS.

I've owned a Volvo.

The only problem I have encountered with an Evacool (my parents) was the power supply had a noisy fan. Apparently they have changed the design slightly and the new ones don't have the same prob.
FollowupID: 14943

Follow Up By: Derek - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 21:38

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 21:38
Hi OS. Thanks for the quick reply. I agree with you comments re: Urban Myth and backyard experts that's why I worded the question the way I did (and it worked except for 1 posting.....ah well). I've become very wary of some of the informatio given on this forum. Were you accessing this forum at the beginning of the year when the debate raged over mineral engine oil Vs synthetic oil? Suddenly everyone was a chemical engineer offering all sorts of advice and the postings became quite personal. I save the forum now for non-technical opinions (and for that it's great) and visit the experts for technical advice. I'll get off my soap box now before I'm knocked off. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 14992

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:22

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 15:22
Dennis,
It wouldn't have happened in the Officers' Mess. I've owned two Volvos and one Engel. All three werw great. Don't know about the other 'fridges!

Mal T.
FollowupID: 15288

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 16:13

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 16:13
G'day Mal,

Well, you know what a "punchy" lot those Senior N.C.O.s are

:):):):)

Probably be politically incorrect in today's messes

enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 15294

Follow Up By: John - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:32

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:32
Its not the volvo that''s the problem.its the nut behing the whee.
thyfollowing one
john
FollowupID: 16701

Reply By: Steve L - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 13:32

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 13:32
Derek,

I have been running a 40 litre Waeco since they were first available in 2000. The unit has been on a number of trips with severe conditions, plus countless trips of a more sedate nature, plus when not on trips it has been running 24/7 at home since the day I bought it.

To date I have not had a single problem with it - the only problems I've heard about to date are the one above re the fuse and a couple of very old ones where the fridge lid warped (mine is one of the original units and I haven't had that problem). I would take the other stories with a grain of salt - as Dennis said, are they owners? There's a lot of hearsay from different people trying to put bad info about, so beware who is able to provide details from actual ownership!

As far as Danfoss faults, I wouldn't know what the stories are (high cost perhaps?) but I think you'll find there are far most 'standard' refridgeration mechanics out there who can fix a Danfoss than other models of compressor.

Just my 2.2c (incl GST) worth....
AnswerID: 22650

Reply By: machac - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 16:44

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 16:44
I have had a Waeco CF50 for a year and a half now, and it has given faultless performance in all situations. Yes the original lid did warp slightly, but was replaced free of charge by Waeco with their new updated lid. There should be no lid problems with the latest fridges.
AnswerID: 22666

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:04

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:04
Trailblazer
End of story
AnswerID: 22689

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:11

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:11
Brian, What makes you say that..... We have autofridges and trailblaza's and I am just wondering what you like about the trailblaza. Don't get me wrong I reckon that they are great... Mark
FollowupID: 14981

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:10

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:10
Mark,
I see you are in the refrigeration business as well.. :-) Where are you based?
To answer your question I looked at the common fridges from a refrigeration technicians perspective.. without knocking the others I prefer the trailblaza. Main points are the insulation, its almost indestructible construction, the lack of fan motor ( so less current draw).... the efficiency of the compressor etc... I don't like the idea of having to put a "blanket" around a fridge... how does the heat dissipate?
Also the lack of plastic plays a large role in my opinion. Would be very interested in your opinion as you obviously see more brands on a day to day basis
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 15007

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:15

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:15
Brian, we are in Perth and have the business as a part time concern. Apart from the trailblaza's we do the 39 and 73 litre Autofridges plus engels. The Autofridges are very good and touch wood, we have not had any problem with them apart from themostat adjustment. Not that convinced on the engels as they are noisey and side by side don't stack up against the others. The Evakool looks like it would be good and in theory it should be. Margaret from trailblaza is very helpful and you must admire their ability to export their product (we need more of that)
I did hear that Margaret lost her husband last year.
For something that is virtually unbreakable, ease of access to components -Trailblaza (If they last in the back of a Army APC they must be good)
Power saving consumption- Autofridge (bit pricey)

I would buy a quality Aussie built fridge anyday rather than a imported engel.

Regards

Mark

FollowupID: 15014

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 18:39
Mark
I am over here on the Gold Coast, only a couple hours to the Trailblaza factory!
I haven't been up there yet to see the place, but it's on my "to-do" list! I spoke with a couple of the guys at the recent Gold Coast camping show and they were very helpful... there were three other manufacturers there but Trailblaza still has my vote. You are right about the quality.. unfortunately in refrigeration and air conditioning there are numerous Australian products but few are really worth the money... labour rates being what they are! Trailblaza is a very good quality product and y'know how the saying goes... "pay-peanuts-ya-get-monkeys"!!!!

Cheers Mark

Regards
Brian
FollowupID: 15040

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:56

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:56
Derek,
I have one of the first RF 60's (about 3 years old) and have had no problems with it and been very happy with the performance. The key features I would say would be the light weight, good insulation & of course the legendary Danfoss compressor.
Cheers
AnswerID: 22703

Reply By: chopper - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:37

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:37
I have a small engel great little fridge
an elecrolux sensational on gas
a CF110 waeco, had this for abour four months now, i can not fault this fridge. I can run it between 0 and 1 degree seemingly indefinatley so long as i'm driving for 1/2 to 1 hour a day.

I too had heard horror stories but have never met the victim.

I do like the evakool idea, all of my eskys are evakool and they are simply sensational, there has to be an advantage with starting with an already very efficient box.
AnswerID: 22749

Reply By: Joe - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 11:41

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 11:41
G'day boys, In response the never-ending fridge debate I feel I may have some good points. I own a shop on the east coast and have deliberated many times over the question. When stocking my shop I decided to go with both the evakool and the waeco fridges. I also have extensive history in the marine industry as a skipper of large commercial vessels so I believe I am qualified to respond. To cut to the chase we sell 10:1 (waeco over evakool). the reasons for this are as follows;
-same internal compressor( german made danfoss)
-waeco 5 years warranty on the box - evakool 3 years
-waeco have polypropelene box ie. can't chip thus compromise insulation as fibreglass can.
-evakool compressors cycle harder thus draw more and from what I've seen cycle just as often as waeco which draw slightly less
-both have excellent warranty standards although I have tested evakool on this more than waeco (get my drift)
-price point. e.g waeco wins hands down.
-Don't get me wrong, Evakool are a top of the range Australian made fridge that compares well with all other brands, it just seems to me that customers can justify the purchase of a waeco considering their similarities yet better pricing.
-we run a 110ltr. waeco in our new camper trailer and have dragged it across cut-in after corragation and never missed a beat (apart from rum cans not reappearing endlessly tim tam style)

Hope this helps. Joey
AnswerID: 23056

Follow Up By: Terry - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:11

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:11
Joe

Being a skipper doesen't make you a refrigeration engineer, I wouldn't have thought you would use either Waeco or Evakool in a commercial stiuation on your boat.

Same compressor??? give Danfoss a call and tell them your Waeco has broken down and you were after a replacement compressor, You may be surprised at the response and the word China is sure to crop up.

The material used in the outer construction has similar thermal properties, As for insulation Evakool have far better insulation properties than Waeco.

Evacool compressors cycle harder??? give me a break, didn't you state Waeco and Evakool have the same compressor.

I'd be very surprised if you tested Evakool warranty more than Waeco, Waeco's failure rated based on the construction of the two units would have to be higher.

I don't own either units, however if I had to crawl across broken glass it wouldn't be for a Waeco, get my drift.
FollowupID: 15767

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 12:29

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 12:29
I have an EVAKOOL, mate has a Waeco- both very good, but even my mate admits the Evakool is better.....
The Evakool runs longer on the same size battery, and works better when the going gets hot!
Like I said though, they're both great!
AnswerID: 23140

Reply By: Joe - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 13:27

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 13:27
Bad day Terry? In response to terry (the refridgeration engineer) portable fridges are used to take ashore and compliment the large eutectic aboard the boat. Evakool have made the danfoss run faster(thus drawing more) in an attempt to have it cycle for less time. Never owned either unit hey tez, that would make you the warranty expert for sure then. My exact numbers are as follows :
Waeco fridge returns: 1
Evakool fridge returns: 7
this may be slightly different for other dealers but that is my experience.
Evakool insulation is top of the line.......until it chips.
Maybe terry sure take note of 'Old soldiers' comments instead of scrutinizing honest responses.
AnswerID: 23715

Follow Up By: george - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 16:50

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 16:50
Joe, I have just read through your responses above and must buy into the argument you put forward.

1. All Danfoss Compressors come from the factory with the motor set to run at 3500 rpm.

2. Evakool re-adjust the speed of the motors to run both the Boost and Economy mode to suit Australian conditions. Bearing in mind that in this case the Danfoss is fitted to the best insulated cabinet on the market.

Boost: 3000 rpm
Economy: 2000 rpm

So your comment regarding Evakool running the compressor faster is, in fact, incorrect.

Could you also supply more details as to who you are because I am trying to ascertain which of our retailers you are and where you operate from. I need to know this so I can direct our local representative in to you for some further product knowledge assistance and training.

Incidentally you made comment regarding 'damaging' an Evakool cabinet versus the Waeco unit. My understanding is that you can buy a simple fibreglass repair kit from Bunnings that will do the job nicely. Priced around $15.00. I don't know how you would go about reparing the Waeco cabinet if it got damaged. A point to remember is that we also offer a 5 year warranty on the cabinet against manufacturing faults but are always able to help those that seek our assistance. As a final resort the owner of a 'damaged' Evakool could always visit the local fibreglass boat repairer can always be relied on to do a first class job.

I trust that this will assist you in further comments and responses in relation to the Evakool product range.

My only other comment would be that whilst I won't be drawn into the argument of which is best (my comments would be biased and would have to start at the effectiveness of the cabinet to reflect heat) I will state that if a locally made product (in this instance Evakool), made in Australia for Australian conditions is available and is price competitive against an import, then I will always buy Australian. In this instance it keeps me (and 62 other people like me) employed in this country.

I look forward to hearing from you Joe.

Regards,

Rod Miles.
National Manager
Evakool Iceboxes
FollowupID: 16508

Sponsored Links