OT: keep your computer data secure

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 17:27
ThreadID: 54702 Views:2211 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
With the proliferation of computers, and especially notebooks, I guess many of us have data stored on them we would not wish other people to access - bank account details, personal letters, pics of you and that goat :) etc...

Secure cryptography has been around for a long time (PGP et al) but has generally required a degree in "Geekness" to use. Recently I happened upon an excellent piece of software which integrates into Windows and makes encrypting files and/or folders very simple indeed.

Main page
Download page

Scroll down and click on "AxCrypt-Setup.exe". When installing the programme will ask if you want to register for updates and if you will allow it to send some install data back to its Dad :) You have the option to say no to both questions. I said "no" to the first but allowed the second.

This programme is a "Sourceforge project" which means the code used to write it is available, constantly, on the internet for others to check and contribute to, this means there cannot be any "naughties" in the programme, ie, unlike something written by eeemm...? say... Microsoft... it cannot do things without you knowing. It also means it's "Freeware" and the authors wrote it because they wanted to, not to make any money from.

AxCrypt uses AES-128 encryption which is pretty secure and is, probably, uncrackable by all but major governments and they're probably not interested in your goat :)

This type of encryption relies upon a password and it's best if you choose one that is about 10 characters long and includes a capital, letter, numerical digit and a punctuation mark. However... should you forget your password your data is lost - forever! I chose "2goatsRule!" :)

Mike Harding
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 17:49

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 17:49
"pics of you and that goat"

Ok, spill the beans - how did you get onto my computer?

Regards
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288172

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:14

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:14
>Ok, spill the beans - how did you get onto my computer?

_That's_ why you need to encrypt your data :)

Mike Harding

PS. She was a pretty one though :)
FollowupID: 553466

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:59

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 20:59
and Mike you can tell it's a "she" goat because .... :-))

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 553481

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:35

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:35
It's easy for us experts:
Goat sexing for beginners
FollowupID: 553559

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:49

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 21:49
And we all believed you, when you said you wanted to spend a winter alone in a mountain hut, "the goat doesn't count, she's just for fresh milk".

AnswerID: 288224

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:36

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:36
I'm not made of stone, you know!
:)
FollowupID: 553560

Sponsored Links