Colson Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:29
ThreadID: 54714 Views:1801 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are planning our next trip. I find an info to Colson track that the permit required to use the Colson Track is extremely hard to obtain.
What´s the reason of it?
Is there anyone travelling this track last weeks or month?
What means "extremely hard"? Is there any possibility to get a permit or is it nearly impossible.

Thank´s for any help.

Petra F
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:42

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:42
My info is a year old since friends last went on part of it.

Its aboriginal land and permits have been near to impossible to get.

But people do travel it without permission from both directions and its not that hard, its just a long way.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 288261

Reply By: traveller2 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:51

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:51
Yes it is Aboriginal land, apparently now though there has been a change at the CLC and they are now apparently being more proactive re permits.
We drove a small piece of the Colson last year during a Madiagn crossing and compared to what it was when we travelled it years ago before closure it is now very overgrown, eroded and washed away, in spots it is much easier to drive across country.
AnswerID: 288280

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 13:27

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 13:27
Hi Petra
It is only a small section that is aboriginal land, about 3/4 of the way up. Having said that, it is that small strip of land that stops everybody. The CLC NO NOT approve any forms of travel in that section, and will not provide any type of permits at all, even with the things changing like they did under the Federal Government. I even tries to gain approval for this year again and was told in a nut shell that things have not changed and permits will not be issued.

The chances of being caught are very slim, but the permit officer told me that they do head down that way sometime in the hope of catching people. She told me that that have had a couple of people in court, with very heavy fines imposed.

I have driven a fair section of it, above and below the aboriginal land. I was not prepared to take my chances and enter the out of bounds area.

There are many other fine areas to visit without having the change of Big Fines in found there.

It is up to you, but I am not prepared for that chance.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 288293

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 19:16

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 19:16
"What´s the reason of it?"

My recollection is that the Colson Track became closed after some visitors trashed some aboriginal sacred areas.
AnswerID: 288335

Sponsored Links