Gas Injection for Diesel Engines

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 21:58
ThreadID: 54768 Views:5093 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,

I'm looking at gass injection for my Dec 2006 4.2 L TD Patrol.

The two systems I have found are the Deisel Gas and the Eco shot.

Does anyone have any practical experience with either of these systems on a Patrol??

Thanks

Gazza11
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geepeem - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:10

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:10
HI Gazza11,
Can't help with personal experience with it yet but I am also researching it for a Toyota Turbo Diesel.
There are other systems as well as the 2 you mentioned.
In last Saturday's Brisbane Courier mail there is a story about Visy Recycling doing a trial on some of their trucks. They are going for the GFSI system. You would presume they would do their homework so it may be worth checking out their system.
Other ones to look at are Ecomix and D-Gas (different to diesel/gas).
All systems work on all diesels so I don't think you need to seek out a system specifically for the Patrol.
I am still researching the different systems. I have a retired friend who has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering who is assessing all the data for me and looking at how the different systems work.
Post your decision when you make one - I would be interested in the results and your experience.
Cheers,
Glen
AnswerID: 288534

Follow Up By: Gazza11 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:20

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:20
Glen,

The two I am looking at are the only two fitted locally (ACT Region) and the reason I am specifically looking for similar vehicles fitted with these systems is to better understand where the bits go and how they fit into the engine bay as well as the results I can expect.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Eco shot because it is controlled by boost pressure and offers minimum interfaces with the engine (boost out/Gas in). The other system has electronic controllers, uses a stepper motor, samples throttle inputs and other electrical stuff which seems way too complicated for an off raod vehicle.
Thanks
Gary
FollowupID: 553884

Reply By: warfer69 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:15

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:15
Hi Gazza

What worries me is i had my 5 litre berlina wagon put on gas just under a year ago now it was about 43 cents a litre,No rebate was mentioned and i paid the full 3 grand and then a month later it was anounced..(what a bugger)

Now since the rebate it has nearlly doubled, so you get yours done and whats it gonna be in another year ???????

From what i have read the majority of people are very happy with it and it gives about 17-20 % increase in power !

cheers
AnswerID: 288536

Reply By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:45

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 at 22:45
All i can say is we fit the Diesel Gas systems and find them to be well worth the cost on the turbo models,good power increases and better consumption.

Matt
AnswerID: 288542

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 08:27

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 08:27
Big question I have to ask is what effect will fitting have on my warranty ?
Suppliers of the system say "NO" effect Nissan dealer say "VOID"
Have sent email to the Greenhouse Office, but no reply.
Vince
AnswerID: 288577

Reply By: jomah - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:44

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 21:44
All the car manufacturers are the same. If you add gas they void your warranty because you have made changes to their sysyem which in their opinion could adversly affect the motors reliability; performence;life etc. Technically ; If you could prove that any damage caused was not the result of the gas conversion/addition then your warranty should still stand; however how much time and money do you think you would spend winning your case against a multi national giant like Nissan?
Also; I would question the statement that your fuel consumption will improve. A recent test done by one of the 4X4 magazines on 3 or 4 different vehicles showed an improvement in power ranging from about 19% to 40% but fuel consumption did not change. Although the vehicles used less diesel they made up the difference in litres of gas used. The only saving was in the price differential between the diesel saved and the gas used. So; no better consumption but cheaper driving
AnswerID: 288721

Follow Up By: Russell [SA] - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 08:26

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 08:26
The suppliers in Adelaide offer insurance to cover any warantee claims rejected because of system.

Seem fair
FollowupID: 554104

Reply By: GiDiesel - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 13:44

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 13:44
Hi Gazza,
I have had a little to do with a number of Gas into Diesel systems including the EcoShot. It is easy enough to fit up but the install instructions are not useful. One thing that was obvious was that it has no engine run signal. In other words if you turn the key on but do not start the engine there is a chance of allowing LPG through to the air intake with out burning it. If you have a heater in the low pressure supply line and it turns on, you could be in big trouble.Bang.The Ecomix system [which I understand has had a name change to Peak3] is the best of the ones that I have looked at. With positive pressure and [against neg press and liquid for GFSI and DieselGas] I think is has the best fit up and safety options so far. Remember too that with a turbo boost system, you will not burn gas at idle or low RPM and you may find the same when cruising at speed on the open road.

GiDiesel
AnswerID: 292090

Sponsored Links