Camping along the Murray R

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:30
ThreadID: 54802 Views:2210 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi members,
Has anyone heard if camping along the Murray river between Echuca and Wodonga is permitted. I've heard that this will be stopped.
Could anyone confirm this please.
Thanks Revs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:47

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008 at 23:47
Yes apparently there are plans afoot to stop camping along some areas.. Not sure of all the details.
AnswerID: 288750

Reply By: Von Helga - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:33

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:33
Rev's

I have been in contact with the Campaspe Shire Council (covers Echuca area) and apart from a Code of Conduct that I hope we would all be following anyway there are no plans to restrict
"camping on the Murray".
The Corowa Shire council also has a booklet on caming on the Murray.
AnswerID: 288797

Follow Up By: REV'S - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:46

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:46
Hi Von Helga,
Thanks for your reply, there are so many rumour's you don't know which way to go. But whatever happens, if we do the right thing as we should all be doing, tread lightly these areas may stay open for us to enjoy. As is there are far too many areas locked up.
Cheers Revs
FollowupID: 554136

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:54

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:54
Is this what's fueling the rumors:

Camping
Camping regulations should be applied consistently regardless of land use category to assist
with avoiding increased usage pressures outside regulated areas, including consideration of:
• Prohibiting the use of pit toilets and the provision of composting toilets;
• Prohibiting the use of chainsaws and other motorised saws for the collection of wood for
camp fires (where allowed);
• Restricting camp fires (where allowed) to constructed fireplaces (provided in camping
and day use areas);
• ParksVic to supply firewood at all camping areas or enforce campers to bring their own
firewood; and
• Improving management of hard waste including opportunities for recycling.

Read the full article.
AnswerID: 288803

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 14:23

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 14:23
And you certainly have to wonder about the competence of a council which can't get the front page of its own website right. Try it at 1024 x 768.

Moira council

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 554147

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 15:22

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 15:22
Just to stir the pot a little bit ,, parks Victoria have actually NO legal right when it involves the Murray river ,, we were taught at school that the actual border is NOT the river but but 22 yards from the riverbank on the Victorian side ,, ergo the river belongs to NSW,,,,
FollowupID: 554156

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 16:24

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 16:24
Yes camping is currently permitted & yes there will most likely be some camp sites closed as part of the River Red Gum Parks proposal. These include some areas under Aboriginal claim (Parts of Barmah forrest I believe) & camps in narrow sections of bush (between the river & private land) where there is either insufficient distance to camp away from the river or dig a toilet hole.
Go to the VEAC site for the detail.
AnswerID: 288828

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 18:16

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 18:16
Read the VEAC report and if they get their way there will be VERY limited camping, NO camp fires.
Many track closures. Only camping in designated areas.
Only camping in groups of up to 8. (They were surprised that more than that often camp together at Easter) These people driving this are city based and are not only happy to take our lifely hoods / water away but now want to close up / shut us out of our own back yard.

I hope they like eating imported food with human waste and chemicals banned years ago attached.

Just try and find one thats ever accountable, they hunt and hide in packs.

Most locals are taking the stance " how will they lock us all up if we ignore their dumb rules"

The worst areas affected areas are often the National parks as they advertise and bring in people who do the wrong thing when thses areas were unchanged in the previous 50 years, then they say OH DEAR too much damage, we will have to shut you out, sorry.

As you can see this is a sore point and the rift between the city and country is growing very fast.

God bless Australia

AnswerID: 288843

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 18:31

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 18:31
>and the rift between the city and country is growing very fast.

Ain't that the truth - it saddens me greatly and I have no idea what we can do about it :(

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 554177

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:15

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:15
Rev's, we have just spent 3 days camping in the Barmah Forest last week. Absolute waterfront site.
There is another area just upriver from where we were that is in the Park.
A ranger drove past us the other day and didn't stop, just kept going.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288897

Sponsored Links