Tow vehicle.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:03
ThreadID: 54807 Views:4319 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have the opportunity to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7,low mileage in great condition.To be used essentially to tow our Van Jayco J series poptop 17 foot 1400 kg weight.We have a Hayman Reese Load Distribution Hitch Tekonsha brake system,some reviews we have read bag the Grand as a tow unit,can anyone forward an unbiased opinion on towing,the transmission,additional trans cooler?? and general reliability Regards Frank.M.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:24

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:24
Look here

Right Tow Vehicle

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288772

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:30

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:30
We owned a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 for 18mths (only just sold it over Xmas) and found the vehicle in general to be way better than falcons and commodores in the standard equipment, very comfortable and plenty of poke (for a smallish 4WD). approx 13lt/100 Hwy & 17lt/100 City. Towing 1500kg the fuel was around 20-22lt/100 - but then I tend to still drive hard with a trailer on - the vehicle handles really well while towing.

We never had transmission issues while towing, but we did upgrade the rear swap bar to 26mm ($280) which takes alot of the back end shake out that Grands seems to suffer from.

The only negative that I ever had with the vehicle is the cost of repairs - literally every part costs twice as much as a average family vehicle - but I was happy with this because we loved the Jeep. We had no mechanical failures that we haven't had in other vehicles. Just keep it serviced as per the book, keep it cool (had a few heater hose leaks from old hoses) - as increased engine temp will cause side affects like transmission being erratic - mind you I never had the Trans Over Temp Light come on while towing.

Only sold it because of child #3 arriving and not very many off road options/accessories available in Oz, so we sold it to help fund the purchase of a LC100 Sahara (I really miss the auto dimming rear view mirrors & seat memory function :)

AnswerID: 288776

Reply By: jeepthing - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:56

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:56
Frank M,

I owned the same model grand you are talking about did 130,000k in it not a problem very reliable vehicle. Towed a Jayco Penguin 13 Offroad camper also a 6 metre boat power not an issue BUT do not tow in overdrive if you do the gearbox will search for a lower gear when thereare inclines and you are pushing wind. The manual states to tow out of overdrive, in fact the new 4.7's have a tow facility which essentially locks the transmission from the overdrive facility.

I had the hayman reece hitch and the Tekonsha brake system. I've upgraded to the V6 CRD, 510nm of torque and it is obviously better than the 4.7. If you are looking towards a second hand grand see if you can get hold of one of the earlier 2.7 diesels the reason I'm suggesting that is the torque of a vehicle is the key to towing and the 2.7 has more torque than the V8 4.7.

There is an article in one of the 4x4 mags where they did a tow test and the WH crd killed the opposition. I haven't seen any reviews on the 4.7 as a tow vehicle. My view is the best people to talk to are the ones who drive them. Go to this website www.ausjeepoffroad.com and ask the same question that you have asked here you will get honest replies but I'm not saying they won't be a little bias:) I have owned a Toyota and a Nissan in the past but I never bought a second one I bought a Jeep and now I'm on my second one which speaks for itself I think.
AnswerID: 288782

Follow Up By: hoffy - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:52

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:52
Have to agree with jeepthing. We have a 2.7 CRD and love it, tows our 18'6 Regent full van better than the 3.0l Gu Patrol, and uses far less fuel; 13.5 L/100k towing at 90-95 kph.
Haven"t had any problems with the Grand, would be the best 4wd we have owned.
It is a bit lighter than Patrol and Cruiser but it still handels 2 ton of van very well with Hayman WDH.
Can't comment on the petrol engines, however I would say Jeep are a very under rated vehicle.
Graeme.
FollowupID: 554123

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:06

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:06
hear hear Graeme they are very under rated. They have the best 4x4 system on the market with the Quadra Drive II much smarter than air lockers. The main reason they are under rated is because too many people who don't own one bag them when they have never even driven one!!

The V6 CRD will outperform any other 3.0 diesel on the market with it's sheer power and performance. Fuel consumption is incredible I'm getting on average 790k + to a tank which only holds 77l at highway speeds, not towing of course. I tow a 6m boat which weights 2.8 tonne and I'm averaging 14l p/100 k at 90kph.
FollowupID: 554133

Follow Up By: geriatricgypsy - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 20:57

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 20:57
I also have a 2.7 diesel crd, tow a 1700k full van at 100k and get just under 14l/100k....its a 2003 grande cherokee Laredo model ..its my second jeep awesome torque 400nm and when not towing i get between 8 and 9 l/100k...engine and auto are both benz of course at $30,000 less than a benz 4x4...why wouldn't i be happy...sorry i cant comment on the V8 but that was going to be my last jeep untill i saw the fuel economy of the V8 compared to the 2.7 diesel...hence the reason i have the 2.7...same torque but now i go to more places more often because i can afford to...all i have to do now is make the oil companies sell diesel at the same price equivalent as in europe(a third cheaper than petrol) as consumers we are so gullible in allowing the oil companies to rip us off
FollowupID: 554204

Reply By: Member - Frank M (QLD) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 15:18

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 15:18
Gents,thank you for your response and advise,as stated,the Grand would be a touring only, not a shopping trolley.The way diesel prices are going along with servicing is getting down right frightening,and I always had a soft spot for V8,s.
We will dwell on it again thank you all,
Frank.M.
AnswerID: 288818

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:26

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:26
Frank M,

I had a sports system on my V8 they sound pretty good that motor is sweet; Merc of course. One thing I miss with the CRD is that V8 sound!!!

If you are into V8's that 5.7 hemi is truly a power plant I took one for a test drive and it was an agonising decision between it and the CRD.
FollowupID: 554258

Sponsored Links