Tyre Pressure & Temperature monitoring systems

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:38
ThreadID: 54832 Views:8708 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, can any one give me any info( good or bad) on the types of tyre monitoring systems that are on the market at the moment,the Tyredog system seems the easiest to use (just unscrew a valve cap type arrangement to use on a spare tyre etc. no reprograming) but I don't know how accurate the temp reading would be when mounted on the valve stem, Sensa Tyres unit is mounted inside the rim.Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:04

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:04
Ralph,

last week I had one fitted to my caravan tyres. It's from an ExplorOz advertiser ABR (Affordable Batteries etc).

It seems to work quite well although I think the transmitters' strength is at its limit on the van. Signal dropped out when going around corners and the amount of metal between the transmitters and receiver changed position. It is designed for vehicle tyres where the transmission distance is shorter.

Having said that it is one of the few that can take more transmitters and I might get four more to do the truck as well as the van.

They come with locking rings which should be used. The transmitters got a little loose after a few hours.

About the only negative comment, which probably applies to a lot of gear these days, is the Chinglish instruction book was a little confusing.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 288918

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 22:03

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 22:03
hi gone bush, do you use metal valve stems?
cheers shane.
FollowupID: 554357

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:50

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:50
Hullo Shane, My valve stems are just the regular rubber ones on a tubeless rim.

The other point to ABR's system is that the low pressure setting is a percentage of the normal pressure. In other words you can't set, say 25psi as an alarm level, and then be able to play around with tyre pressures anywhere above 25psi.

If I want to let my van tyres down to 30 psi I have to reset them to the monitor. Bit of a pain but I'll get used to it. At least I think that's how it works, Chinglish !!

It was $150 cheaper than the TyreDog.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554702

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:12

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:12
Go to the TOPICS section up the top here , click TYRES and you will see an add for it on the right.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 288919

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 02:19

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 02:19
It never ceases too amaze me what there bringing out,aint technology grand Dougie !

FollowupID: 554249

Reply By: jeepthing - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:15

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:15
I have them on my vehicle as standard equipment and they are an excellant system...saved me destroying an expensive rim and tyre last year whilst travelling in a remote area of WA. As you know most of the time one realises you have a flat after having travelled on it for some time. The sensor alarmed when the tyre was down to 15 psi.

My understanding is that the ones with the sensor mounted inside the rim are more accurate.
AnswerID: 288935

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:55

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:55
I reckon they are still too pricey. $400 for the Tyre Dog, is a lot too much in my book, if it was $199 then I would be in their doorstep
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 288973

Reply By: Ralph2 - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 16:43

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 16:43
Thanks Guy's, still don't know what system to buy.
AnswerID: 289000

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:15

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:15
I have tyre dog fitted on my car for only about 2 weeks now and so far so good. They are simple to fit, but limited to four wheels at present. I plan to run them on the rear tyres and on my camper trailer tyres when towing. Its good info to have at hand. I will be hardwiring the display unit when motivation and time allow.

I also have the sensatyre system to suit 6 wheels which is being fitted to one of our Mitsubishi Canter's for a trial. It will be trialled and if they live up to claims/expectations I will be fitting them to all our 6 wheel vehicles.

I paid $399 for the tyre dog (4 wheels) and about $650 for the sensatyre with 8 sensors (8 wheels) and a 6 wheel display.

I'll do up a report in sveral montsh when we have thoroughly tested both units. In the mean time I am happy to give feedback to anyone wanting it.

cheers
AnswerID: 289277

Reply By: Member - Jason B (QLD) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:30

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 22:30
Hi Ralph2,

Had a Permagard 3rd Eye TPMS with 6 sensors fitted to Navara 2+ years ago now. Sensor mounted inside rim works great, except when having tyres rotated - make sure your fitter writes down which tyre went where so you can re-calibrate. Make sure you deal with a fitter experienced with rim mounted setups when getting new tyres, otherwise they'll just be snapped off.

Having a few service problems with JaxQuickFit now they are the "exclusive" distributors for Permagard. Can't get any replacement parts or list of experienced fitters ... but still trying.
AnswerID: 289390

Sponsored Links