My Nuvi 760 Report

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 22:41
ThreadID: 54833 Views:2589 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Brilliant.........................
I will add that I was a bit annoyed not getting a mains charger as with the 660 , This time they are an accessory, about $64 , That is no problem though because it does charge when connected to the PC and if need be I can connect a Cig lighter socket to my 6amp 240v to 13.9v power supply in the Caravan.
Out on the road it is spot on in every aspect, the new feature of Highway speeds is bloody good, I took notice at every town speed sign 80k 60k and 100k and noticed it changed about 20m to 30m past the sign, at every zone between Cairns and Tully, I am in the process of making 60m proximity warnings at the zone signs in my locale from Tully to Cairns just in case one is not thinking , Already tested the Tully ones today and it works fine.
Every thing else about it is as good or better than the 660 , The Track and Route are as good as the old Quest and would record over 4000Klm of Track, The Installed POIs have info for the whole of Australia , ie Birdsville Fuel with the Phone No, BP Bamaga, with phone No, not to mention the 1000s of points in the larger Cities and Towns.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:15

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:15
i think ill agree with you ..Doug..but as you know .im still have in trouble getting one over here..........what was the program. you had with all the warnings for all the bridges..and such......Bundy
AnswerID: 288915

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:52

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:52
Darren
I have the files now in my GPS page for you to download, I also put the Truck Parking Bays in too which has every bay on the Great Northern and Coastal, places where an Oversize can stop,
Scroll right to the bottom of the page and you find the place to get them.

Get Files Here

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554242

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:59

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:59
Forgot to mention, with the Truck Bays, if you see a point coming up on the screen ie 489 N and your heading North then it will be on your left, same applies to W / S / and E , a waypoint ending with D = Double, means 1 each side of the Hwy.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554248

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:18

Friday, Feb 22, 2008 at 23:18
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the update. I am looking at replacing my GPS V and while I am wrapped in my wifes Nuvi 660, wouldn't want to be without the track info. While I have Oziexplorer, I reckon that with T4A and Oztroppo, you wouldn't need anything else.

Looks like I will have to update in the near future, what do you reckon a GPS V with V7 navigator is worth to sell?

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 288917

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:00

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 00:00
Garmin GPS V eh long outdated , I just let my 3 year old Quest go for $185 , Just pack it away and keep it for a spare back up ,
I think T4A is no longer available it's now OzToppo V2, and your right, nothing else needed ,
Oztroppo eh..... nah not in WA , Troppo is what we do up here in the wet...lol

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554243

Follow Up By: jedboy70 - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:39

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:39
must say while oztopov2 may be more accurate i am disappointed in the amount of detail as the shonymaps have way more detail particularly nat park trails etc and they were free ( I am starting to the think the bloke who built the shonkies deseves a lot more credit in particular for making them available to all for nothing)
FollowupID: 554263

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:24

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:24
I bought a 760 not too long ago and I am disappointed in the number of times I have typed in an address and the exact house number doesn't come up. e.g. type in 8 Smith St and it might come up 5 Smith St. The number that comes up is not necessrily opposite the number you want.
I realise this is a Sensis problem but it would be nice if Garmin put some pressure on Sensis to get their act together.
When I was in Beechworth the other week, I asked the 760 to show the route to Albury. Well, off we go along these little streets and out into the bush along various tracks following the directions being transmitted to us.
We weren't going in the general direction that I had anticipated it would take us, but it was a new toy and we weren't in any real hurry to get to Albury, so we just followed her directions.
CT in tow, we went on tracks that were getting narrower and narrower and eventually came to a locked farm gate. It required quite a bit shifting fallen logs and manoeuvring to turn around and return about 6 Kms to Beechworth so we could take another route.
The trouble with following the directions it suggests if you dion't know the area (and that's why you buy these things) is that you don't know if it's right or wrong until you follow the suggested route.
If you have to double check everything in your maps and various books, what's the use of spending $700 on an electronic device that's supposed to help you.
I hope the electronic traction control and electronic fuel injection devices don't get as bamboozled as the 760.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 288945

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:38

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:38
Dave
I find that a bit hard to believe, what you need to do is learn how to use it , AND NEVER DO WHAT A WOMAN SAY'S.
I just tried Beechworth to Albury on the PC and it went to Albury via Wooragee and Leneva, which is a main road, and I'm sure if I were there in real time my GPS would have guided me that very same road, on the other hand if you prefered to go via Chiltern and the Hume Hwy after you select the first route you then ask the gps to to Chiltern, you will then have the choice to add Chiltern as a Via Point .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554278

Follow Up By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:38

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:38
Doug, I am telling you that it guided us up a narrow track to a locked farm gate.( Kibbells Rd)

All I did was picked out the address we wanted to go to in Albury and pressed 'Go'.

We did not know the area, so we just followed the directions.
I had used the 'via' function a few times previously, so I am aware of the alternatives doing that.

I ddin't really care which way we went, we were just on holidays wandering around, so it didn't matter.

I agree with the fact you have to learn how to use it, but I would be surprised if your 760 showed a different way to mine, unless it just picks random ways to travel.
You may have to go to the same location as I was (High St Beechworth) to just see which way it would suggest you go.

Dave

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554284

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:53

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:53
Dave, maybe you have it set on shortest distance rather than quickest time (or whatever it is). The shortest thing will take you anywhere, the other one picks out the main rads (most of the time)
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 554291

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:09

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:09
Dave
The unit is a computer, your a Human , it didn't ....guide you up there, yoi drove up there, ..know what I mean,
As I said, learn how to use it , that means not doing exactly what a computer tells you, If you had disobeyed it and geaded up the right road, it would then re-calculate after a short distance and begin giving the rifgt instructions, One thing you as a Human can't do is blame a computer for your actions.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554292

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:34

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:34
Dave
I just programmed my Nuvi to to route B'worth to Wogonga, went straight up the main road,
Just done some teasting on the PC. if I programe the unit at Alma Rd and Kibbels Rd and have it set shortest distance yes it will go via Kibbels, If I change to fastest it will go via Wooragee,
You also must take into account exacly where the start point is as to which way the unit will calculate, then a bit of common sense must prevail. sorry Dave, nothing wrong with your GPS.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554295

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H (WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:45

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 13:45
Hi Doug

Can you tell me, if you input co-ordinates in the 760, does it pull you back to a road like the 660 does. Im hopeing it doesnt.

Peter
FollowupID: 554296

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:07

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:07
Peter....Peter....Peter
If it's off road where you made the Co-Ords , Yes it will , but when working off road then you shange the settings to OFF ROAD.
press tools/settings/navigation/route preferences/Off Road. then it works as a non route city Navigator would, in a straight line.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554298

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H (WA) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:12

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:12
Thanks Doug

Many thanks for that mate. Ive been waiting until you bought one and told us about it. As usual you give honest opinions and as soon as I sell my 660 i will buy the 760.

Peter
FollowupID: 554299

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:27

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:27
Doug, you must have oodles of time on your hands to test everybodys' query or comment on Garmins.

' Just done some teasting on the PC. if I programe the unit at Alma Rd and Kibbels Rd and have it set shortest distance yes it will go via Kibbels, If I change to fastest it will go via Wooragee,
You also must take into account exacly where the start point is as to which way the unit will calculate, then a bit of common sense must prevail. sorry Dave, nothing wrong with your GPS.'

I ain't got Supermans vision, and I couldn't see the locked gate about 6 Kms in front of me.
I bought the unit to give me an idea which way to go, and it gave me a bum steer.
I guess the 760 couldn't see the locked gate through the farm either, or it assumed I had a key and permission to go through the farm.

How the hell am I to know it's going to take me up a road that I can't get through?

Have you tried you brand new 760 on all the roads around Queensland to see if it is perfect in every way?
Or do you just stick to the roads you know like the back of you hand and really don't need a navigator?

I am not knocking the 760, it's just that you should expect a few surprises with it.

It was about 4 Kms out when I tried to find an address in Robinvale Vic. It took me to what appeared to be a waste depot.!!

Dave

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 288981

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:59

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 14:59
Dave
Yes I do have oodles of time on my retired hands and I get great enjoyment in ....well trying to help you guys get your balls around some problems, very difficults at times I can tell you, It's a bit like all the stories you read about Litigation and stuff, No one wants to accept responsibillty for their own actions and when it's minor things like gps, diff locks, running out of fuel , blown tyres eyc it's never their fault ,
You asked if I have tried my brand new 760 on all the roads around Queensland to see if it is perfect in every way, had it 2 weeks Dave but I know it will work as good as the 660 in every aspect.
Mate give it time , I know your new to Nuvi's and I might seem a bit arrogant at times but don't let that deter you from asking for help, I really do enjoy it, get a hold of your gps and fiddle with it, learn every thing it can , inside and out,

.Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 554303

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 15:34

Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 at 15:34
OK Doug, I will ask you for a bit of help with my 760.

What sequence of buttons do I press to find out if there are any locked gates on the roads I wish to travel?

I really don't want to waste a lot of your time, as I know you are busy helping others too, but I find it a bit annoying havig to backtrack over old ground because of problems like this and I would love to know more of the intricacies of the 760.

Dave

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 288992

Sponsored Links