Oasis Roadhouse

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:58
ThreadID: 54865 Views:3944 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all
Planning a trip for latter in the year, we'll be travelling between Hughenden and Atherton on the Kennedy Developmental road, looking for somewhere that we might stop over night. Looking at the map I see the Oasis Roadhouse at the junction with the Gregory Developmental road. Does anybody know if you can camp there or any experiences of it, or any other suggestions. We'll be travelling with a campertrailer and young children so trying to break the journey into small stages.
Thanks in advance
Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:05

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:05
Hello Jon,

We camped at the Oasis Roadhouse years ago (1996), back then it was just a basic campground but perfectly alright. The hotel there has the smallest bar you'll ever see...four customers would be a crowd!

Porcupine Gorge just out of Hughendon, if you're staying at Hughendon, is too soon for an overnight stop, but it's worth having a look around.

Undara Lava Tubes and lodge/caravan park are not far off the Kennedy Dev Rd on the Gulf Dev Rd and although being fairly pricey, they did a lot of things, like campfire songs/yarns and spotlight tours around the campground. There were betongs etc around that the kids would like to see. Also the tours of the lava tubes were really interesting.

Innot Hot Springs has a caravan park and the hot springs were fun.

We enjoyed travelling that road and I hope that someone can give you more up to date info for your trip.

Viv
AnswerID: 289089

Reply By: lynxxy - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:05

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:05
im travelling that way myself with camper trailer and kids around July.

I had decided to stopover at the lava tubes...everyone tells me its really good.

So Im very Interested in what others suggest.

AnswerID: 289094

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:43

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:43
The Lava Tubes were worth a look the camp ground was great, but the attitude of the people that ran the show was very unprofessional.

The first person we saw was more interested in finishing her conversation with her friend than she was serving us, A wait of at least 5 minutes and yes she could see us, then all she was interested in doing was taking money off us, meaning that if we didn't book the tour there and then we would probably miss it, we booked it 2 hours later after reading all the info, the tour was only 1/2 full the next day, the next morning before the tour it took her another 5 minutes to serve me when I bought some drinks for the tour..

Then there was the tour, as they do at Kingfisher Resort as they are run by the same mob you get a run down of what you can buy were you can buy it, this spiel is longer than the one about the tour.

The guide was on his first tour and as far as I am concerned he did a good job, but the woman that big noted herself that she had been guiding there for 20 years spoiled it as she corrected his small and probably not noticed mistakes in front of every body his confidence was shot to pieces by the end of the tour, this made other uncomfortable as well, the thing was, she herself wasn't that Knowledgeable, not for her 20 years there anyway, she was more interested about bagging their opposition, apparently they didn't have any for a while then their 25 year exclusive lease ran out this meant other tour companies could move in.

For a place that has Savannah Guides and Accreditation ETC the service was very poor, we made note of this on their comment sheet.

They will never get another $$ off me again, this includes Kingfisher Bay.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 554429

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 13:03

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 13:03
Steve,

I'm sorry to read about your experience as in 1996 when we went there we found the people helpful and the tour guide extremely experienced.

Just the same, how did you find the actual lava tubes? Despite the annoyances, they surely amazed and interested you. I know they did us. We had three 13 year old boys with us and their eyes were like saucers...they loved it.

Viv
FollowupID: 554432

Follow Up By: lynxxy - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 15:19

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 15:19
If they mesmerised 3 x 13 year old boys...thats all I need to be convinced that they are worth going to.

I dont care how rude the c'van park women will be to me...but getting 13 year old boys interested in something that adults are taking them to...wow...thats priceless.
FollowupID: 554446

Reply By: Member - Franga (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 14:37

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 14:37
Hello Happytravellers,
We travelled down the kennedy HWay in August 07 and pulled up at the Oasis for smoko. Its a nice little spot with very friendly people and although we didn't actually see the camping area, I think it would be a nice spot to stop over night.
Porcupine Gorge is worth having a look, the lookout turn off is before the actual walk turn off when doing the walk make sure you take water with you.
When driving the Kennedy there are a number of little POI, make sure you stop and have a read, some are interesting and some are very funny.
Hope I have been of help.
AnswerID: 289114

Reply By: happytravelers - Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:14

Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 at 22:14
Thank you all for your helpfull replies, sounds like the Oasis roadhouse could be a good overnighter. We visited Undara back in 1993 and really enjoyed it then, although it will no doubt be a lot more commercial now.
Once again many thanks
Jon
AnswerID: 289218

Sponsored Links