100LC transefer case

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:06
ThreadID: 54907 Views:1770 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all, I am quite new to both this fourm and 4wding so be gentle.

I have a bit of technical problem, while out in my brothers newly accquired 1998 100 series auto on the weekend we found that the transfer case/centre diff lock would not disengage once back in H or by pressing the button

We accelerated/deccelerated forward and in reverse and it would not dis-engage. It was about 15 mins and 10km later after going over a speed bump that it finally freed up.

Any thoughts

now I have got your attention I am thinking of buying a fridge........only joking

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:53

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:53
Colby,

With autos what you have to do when going from low range to high range the vehicle has to be stopped and natural selected in the gear box.

High range should then be selected. If the 4WD light is still showing on the dash, driving forward should extinguish the light. Reversing for a short distance will also help to disengage 4WD.
In a more extreme case, jacking up a front wheel and allowing any transmission windup to spin out will also help.

In some cases the light switch could be at fault.

Now about the fridge :-))

Wayne

AnswerID: 289266

Follow Up By: Colby - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 16:54

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 16:54
Wayne,

Thanks mate - Yeah did all that, obviously when we hit the speed bump we lost the wind up and it disengaged. Will keep an eye on it next time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 554600

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 21:44

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 21:44
You could also try driving one set of wheels off the road and one set on. This can allow the two wheels not on tar to slip on the gravel or dirt which gets rid of the wind up.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 289383

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:04

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:04
I'm not sure with your set up , but the earlier centre diff lock actuators where vacuum controlled, that is to say they needed vacuum to engage AND vacuum to disengage, check the rubber pipes that lead down to the front drivers side of g/box - transfer case.
If this cruiser hasn't seen much 4WD work it could be simply sticking from lack of use, you know what that means, that's right heaps of Weekends away!. . . . . . . to fix it
Shane
AnswerID: 289526

Sponsored Links