Follow up on 3AK rip off

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 00:11
ThreadID: 5491 Views:1267 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just to let you know I forwarded those emails and the story to mediawatch (see thread 5438.) I thought I would use Kiwiangler's approach - the pen is mightier than the sword. Lets see if this keeps them honest.

Thanks for all your great advice!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 00:42

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 00:42
Johnad
I read your post 5438 and dropped a reply there.
AnswerID: 22739

Reply By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:31

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:31
Talk about a storm in a bloody teacup.

I went and read throught the original thread Johnad, and I am bloody amazed at some of the "advice" you have been given.

These people do not have a life as far as I am concerned.

You entered a competition for a $600 prize and it turned out that it was less than that. So what?

As somebody in the other thread said there is no price control in this country and the value of any prize is a subjective isssue and nothing else.

If 3AK valued that prize at $600 that is their value - end of story.

All this emotional claptrap about fraud is simply just that - emotional claptrap.

There has been no fraud committed - nobody stole a thing from you.

For crying out loud mate - you got SOMETHING FOR NOTHING - just enjoy it and as Willem II wisely says in the other thread: "get on with your life."

These people urging you to waste more of your life are just that - bloody urgers.

The world is full of them.

It has been wisely said that the size of the man can be measured by the size of the issue that upsets him.

In life's big picture this should really just be an annoying little side issue for you that you will be able to have a good laugh at over a few beers round a campfire sometime in the future.

And BTW, anybody who would really believe anything the media says or does would believe in the tooth fairy.

And as for Media Watch, that drongo makes a living out of criticising others. A great claim to fame eh???

He does nothing constructive in the world - just criticises. A real asset to the community.

enjoy the bush

DennisN
AnswerID: 22773

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 14:44
so dennis
what your saying is becauce we know the radio staion is not honest we should ecept what ever they throw our way & smile about it ,if that is the case im sure lawsy would love you as a listener. radio station have like all media out lets both a moral & legal obligation under their licence agreements not to miss leed the public if you let the the small ones through the big one s wont be far behind. like all business you cant inflate the price of your product when you have a special there are laws against over valuing your products
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 15026

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 17:21

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 17:21
G'day Bruce,

No, thats not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is basically "don't sweat the small stuff".

I can't believe that such a small issue has attracted such a mass of "self righteous indignation" from some areas.

some people lead very small lives.

Good grief - we're talking about a couple of hundred bucks here - not sheep stations.

My advice to Johnad was virtually to cop it sweet and move on - I stand by that advice.

It's not like he has lost anything.

As I said in my post anybody who believes anything the media says/does deserves what they get. Are you telling me that people really believe what the media says is gospel??

If that's the case - serves them bloody right.

I was amused to see you refer to morals and radio stations in the one sentence.

The media has no morals, and in spite of what you say, have no moral obligations to do anything.

We might think they do, but they certainly don't.

Im also interested in your comment re their "moral and legal obligations not to mislead".

I was not privy to the original competition - nor were you, but from what I have read the station offered a prize of certain value for some competition or other.

Value is a RELATIVE thing, and this radio station can not be held in any way responsible for whatever value the prize recipient perceived the prize to be.

The station put a value of $600 on it - end of story.

If they had said that the prize would be Model no. 123 of brand XYZ car alarm, and then the winner was given model 234 instead of model 123 as the prize, then THAT is misrepresentation.

Love them or hate them - I don't think 3AK has broken any laws. They may not win any prizes for good ethics, but ethics and the media do not mix well anyway.

And as for their being laws for "over valuing your products", the radio station was not selling the bloody thing - it was giving it away.

These "overvaluing " practices go on daily right across the country and nobody in any consumer organisations does a thing about it.

You only have to look at some jewellers and carpet merchants with their 70-80% discount sales to prove that.

They bring the item onto their books for x dollars, mark it up legally by 30-200 % [depending on the industry], then discount it - telling you what a great deal you are getting.

It sucks but it is legal.

Only the very gullible would believe it.

Don't get me wrong Bruce, I do not endorse what 3AK has done, I just think the amount of effort being expended to do something about it could be better used elsewhere.

It's a pointless exercise - just like all these posts.

And as for your comment on Lawsy. Reinforces my point. Only the gullible would believe anything he said.

I'm sure we can find better things to talk about on this great forum. :) :)

enjoy the bush

DennisN

FollowupID: 15034

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 08:09

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 08:09
Well said Dennis
some people can not see that they have learnt a lesson .....(Dont beleive what you hear or read until you've checked it out yourself!!!) and should just forget about it.

Anyhow if he is so upset with the alarm he can always see if the station has a requirement to follow the industry set "Code of Practice" and send his complaint to the regulator and wait and see what happens ......if he ever hears back from them. lol lol lol

Richard
FollowupID: 15076

Follow Up By: Johnad - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:10
Dennis,

thanks for your advice and follow up. As I originally stated in my letter to 3AK, I am extremely grateful for winning this prize.

When I was originally contacted by the owner of Cobra car alarms, I was told the alarm I was getting was the 7918 (value of $600). The alarm they installed is the 7911 (value $300). It just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I appreciate all the advice I have received on this forum.

I do think you are right, I will have to cop this one sweet. At least I have an alarm and remote central locking now.

As for the media, they make a living out of deceiving the public, all in the name of ratings, though.

Regards

John
FollowupID: 15106

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:34

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 14:34
Dennice
i guess will have to agree to disagree
becauce i still feel a rip off is a rip off if the prize offered was 1mil & you only got 600k you would be pi$$ed so just becauce the $$$$ value was less should not mean you should be any less pi$$ed, if you advertise one product & then give away a differant product of lesser value its a rip off ,so i still say stand up agianst the little ones & the big ones are less likely to happen the main reason they are corrupt is becauce we say it dosnt matter no worries mate sheel be right they will get thiers but till we give it to them they wont
jm2cw
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 15109

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 15:30

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 15:30
John,

good onya mate - I nknow its a b!@#$@% now, but you will laugh t it one day in the future.

As I said to Bruce, just because I take point of view my does not mean I support the mongrels at 3AK in any way shape or form.

I just find it is easier to just put these sort of things behind you as quick as you can.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the saying "don't get angry - get even", and if you ever get a chance to do that - give it to them - in spades :) :) :)

all the best

Bruce,

Spoken like a true gentleman, and I will agree to disagree with you :) :)

Though I can see, and appreciate you're point of view.

enjoy the bush

DennisN

FollowupID: 15113

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 15:34

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 15:34
Wow - look at all the typos, and I havn't even had a beer - honest :) :) :)

Heres a better version:

John,

good onya mate - I know its a b!@#$@% now, but you will laugh at it one day in the future.

As I said to Bruce, just because I take my point of view does not mean I support the mongrels at 3AK in any way shape or form.

I just find it is easier to put these sort of things behind you as quick as you can.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the saying "don't get angry - get even", and if you ever get a chance to do that - give it to them - in spades :) :) :)

all the best

Bruce,

Spoken like a true gentleman, and I will agree to disagree with you :) :)

Though I can see, and appreciate you're point of view.

enjoy the bush

DennisN

FollowupID: 15114

Sponsored Links