GMC

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:04
ThreadID: 54935 Views:2176 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had good look at (are they a new product)the GMC inverter generators at Bunnings. Better still anyone got one??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:29

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:29
Gday,
Firstly...No
GMC are a cheap brand of many tools.
Here is an example of cheap tools.
I had a Hitachi grinder worth $100 ....
It lasted through hard work, around 10 years...(needed a bearing worth $20)
The Mrs bought me a new one for $45....(Arlec)
Bugger all use on light stuff, it lasted about 6 months.
Do the maths....If you want to use something a couple of times they are worth it,

Cheers
AnswerID: 289401

Follow Up By: DIO - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:53

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:53
Had a friend in the Hardware retail business. He told me that the cheap range of battery powered drills are referred to as '9 minute units'. Apparently the industry worked out that the average homeowner used a hand held drill for and average of about 9 minutes over a 5 year period. That's about the life of the drill/battery combo. Like someone else said, 'go figure it out'.
FollowupID: 554742

Reply By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:54

Monday, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:54
Talking to my local hardware man a while back and he tells me that GMC put out periodic tenders for their equipment. Sometimes the equipment if very good, sometimes very poor and sometimes OK. There apparently is no real way of knowing who made what tool to what standard and if "ya pays ya money ya takes ya chances". Seems they will keep changing poor bits until warranty expires. Then it 'have a nice day and buy another!'
AnswerID: 289406

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 08:28

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 08:28
I bought a $99 kit with Drill, Sabre saw and Circular Saw on the basis that if out lasts through the bathroom renovation and then I throw themaway it'll be money well spent.

The drill switch failed immediately so Bunnings replaced the single-speed basic drill with a 2-speed drill ! Whoohoo.

The sabre saw was a tremendous and in some places I though "this has to finish the cut, even if it does in the process". It survived the rough treatment and is still an incredibly powerfull battery tool.

The Circular Saw is small, limited in power and chews through batteries quickly - especially when ripping.

After two years the batteries wouldn't hold their charge and I was about to chuck them out. Then I decided to cycle the batteries three times - discharge at 0.1amp and charge at 0.1 amp. The batteries now have plenty of capacity and hold their charge for months - woohoo.

So I'm happy with that GMC purchase, but I agree, it may give no indication of the quality of other GMC appliances or the service you will get.
FollowupID: 554728

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 00:14

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 00:14
Not the inverter one, but my old GMC $100 generator is still starting and running well after a few years. Mind you it's only been used in anger a couple of times.
It's a throw away item of course. But considering the price of generators...any generator...before these cheapies came onto the market...
AnswerID: 289408

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 14:55

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 14:55
I agree 100 % Footy.
I paid $99 for my GMC 750 W unit 3 & a bit years ago. Longest run it has had was to supply lights & TV during a blackout for 6 hrs. Never missed a beat except when it ran out of juice.
Having said that. You do get what you paid for, but if it is not a Life Saving device. who cares if you don't have 240 volt lights when your sitting on the banks of the Cooper.
Vince
FollowupID: 554777

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:03

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:03
I suppose some people get a goof one ever now and again.

It fine to say the unit might be a throw away until it goes belly up and you are stuck 1200 km from a Bunnings i Darwin to replace it. Had a 2 stroke 850W unit which wanted to end its days as a boat anchor in Arnhem Land. It stopped and never re-started.

The constant hum of a neighbouring camp's Honda convinced me to never skimp on stuff I might have to rely on 100s or 1000s of km from help.

Had a EU20 Honda for 4 years. Its run the house fridges and freezers durng storm blackouts. Its never failed us and is a blessing after a stinking hot day when you want the van aircon on at a night stop. $2000 well spent.
AnswerID: 289436

Reply By: inspired - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 13:47

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 13:47
The same Chinese factory which makes the ubiquitous GMC generators and a host of others under different names, also makes entirely different looking, no-name brand, sine-wave inverter generators.

My history with GMC is:

Pressure washer: replaced twice under warranty. So I'm onto my third one and because of the drought can't be used for car washing.

18V cordless drill: Good, still going well.

1200W power saw: Rarely used, aluminium casing broke as I was getting it out of the boot. Replaced under warranty.

Table saw: plastic adjusting handle broke, replaced under warranty.

850W generator: Poor quality control on assembly line, loose petrol tap caused dangerous leak, oil pools in exhaust muffler, has died once but come back to life, though this second time last week it was terminal for the generator part. Out of warranty.
AnswerID: 293332

Sponsored Links