Ceduna via Lake Johnson and Norseman

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:04
ThreadID: 54942 Views:3507 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning All, we are heading for Ceduna in just over a week to enjoy some whiting ,crabs and one or three oysters.We wanted to go via Hyden and Lake Johnson through to Norseman.We are aware of the extensive mining in that area. Has anyone been that way recently.Thank you for any advise. LOS
PS happy birthday to the owner of "HONEY BUN"

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:37

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:37
Hi Los,

I went through Lake Johnson a month or so back.

Check this Plot File

I have a picture in my rig page.

cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289455

Follow Up By: Member - LOS BUSH - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:46

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:46
G'day Allen Thanks for that. Good plot File. I was thiking more of the Lake Johnson Rd way All the best LOS
FollowupID: 554764

Reply By: Member - peter C (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:05

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:05
Los
I took a caravan/Jackaroo through there Easter '06. There's a fair bit of traffic because of the mines and it's a lot shorter for the interstate freight trucks.
Expect the road to be mostly good but some sections of corrugations or maybe a short section of bulldust. 2 good camping areas with wood bbq at breakaways & lake johnson.
If you insist on driving really fast on gravel or are intimidated by heavy vehicles - don't go this way, otherwise I reckon its the best way to start a trip across the Nullaboor.
AnswerID: 289546

Follow Up By: Member - LOS BUSH - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 23:12

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 23:12
Thank you for the info Peter-- LOS
FollowupID: 554890

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:20

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:20
That way was used for the diversion due to the GEH being closed. so should be fine although at least 1 car crashed during that period killing a young girl
AnswerID: 289552

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:08

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:08
HI LOS

What do you call "the Lake Johnston Road". You are obviously familiar with the Hyden Norseman road most are replying about. Is it the old road between Lake Johnson & Norseman?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 289566

Follow Up By: Member - LOS BUSH - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 23:10

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 23:10
g'day Mother hen The road I'm referring to is the rd that leads of from hyden an heads east via the breakaways we have talked about before and the holland track comes off to the north The rd goes on to Mcdermert rocks and Lake johnson on the southside I have dothe trip this a few times and I am interested in the rd conditions as of now I have aways found it pretty good All the best MH LOS
FollowupID: 554889

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 23:36

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 23:36
Hi LOS

It has been in very good order each time we have been that way (2 or 3 years apart) as it is well maintained for those mining trucks. They are few and far between, but they roar past you like they own the road. Much better condition and much wider than the Lake King Norseman road which we have used more often as a short cut home. I enjoy both drives.

Like all dirt roads, caution is needed after very heavy rain, but we went through the one to Lake King in a heavy downpour with the caravan without incident, when towing with the Patrol. They may have had some rain come through post cyclone, but i doubt enough to make any difference and no cyclones around for the next week or two. Main Roads on 1800013314 for an update if it does rain.

The authorities were concerned about a large volume of traffic using it as a bypass to the Great Northern Highway during recent fires, as the previous time, people drove like they were still on the bitumen.

Enjoy the journey.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 554895

Reply By: Member - Robert W (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:04

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:04
Hi

We went from Norseman to Hyden last September with our 3l Patrol and Jurgens off road caravan. I cannot remember any problem with the road, and I didn't know there was supposed to be a problem with mining trucks. We camped at Lake Johnson and enjoyed the tranquility, and ran into other ExploreOz people camping at the breakaways, which are well worth seeing.

There is a booklet on the Norseman-Hyden road which describes the vegetation in each section, and it considerably added to the interest. We also bought a booklet for $7.50 on walks on Wave rock and only had time for 1. It was very interesting, and we will do more next time.
AnswerID: 289625

Sponsored Links