Rated shackles for safety chains

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 16:07
ThreadID: 54950 Views:12692 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I recently spoke to my SWMBO's cousin who is active in a Qld caravan club.
He told me that there is a new requirement that shackles on safety chains must be "rated" ie have a WLL stamped on them, and that members had been fined by police for not having rated shackles.
Does anyone know whether this is true or an urban myth. Nobody I speak to seems to know anything about it.
They are only cheap but you have to get small ones from Bullivents or another chain company , which is a PITA.
Regards Philip A

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 16:39

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 16:39
I would say logically, that YES, you should have rated shackles. What else would you use, D-shackles from Bunnings???

Considering the shackles will be the weakest link in the safety chain I would go with rated shackles just for the sake of safety as opposed to the legal requirement.

What are padlocks rated to as I've seen a lot of them used to join the safety chain to the tow bar mounts?
AnswerID: 289488

Follow Up By: mowing - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:22

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:22
The use of padlocks is illegal in wa (by themselves). But having said that I had to take a traffic cop friend around a caravan park to explain the different ratings of towbars...... didn't have a clue but if your rego sticker is out of date watch out!
FollowupID: 554814

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 19:01

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 19:01
Weakest link ?? how about the weld !!
FollowupID: 555013

Reply By: hazo - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 17:23

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 17:23
Cannot confirm but I was told recently that some caravan insurance companies were telling their clients that all "D" shackles must be stamped with the rating.

Brian
AnswerID: 289498

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 17:54

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 17:54
I have heard the same thing but also cannot confirm.
FollowupID: 554800

Reply By: jskogsta - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:03

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:03
Safety safety safety ... for the low price of rated shackles, why even consider using anything else? Seen the horror stories of things gone wrong, and its not worth it. My $0.02 cents worth. ;-)
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289508

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:15

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:15
Just go out and buy some - I've got 2 sets supplied with new towbars - WLL of 1T marked on one set and WLL of 0.75T on another.
AnswerID: 289510

Reply By: Philip A - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:17

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:17
Lets not get too excited.
I use 10mm shackles which even unrated would be far stronger than the chains themselves. ( The ones in Supacheap have AFAIR 1.05 tonnes on the package but not the shackle).
But that may not do me any good if some copper wants to see a WLL.
Unfortunately my 3.2 tonne ones will not fit through the chain.
I intend to buy some but AFAIK there is knowhere on the web which sells them, so its a matter of calling Nobles or Bullivents and getting them to mail them. Repco, Supacheap, and "Metal by the Meter, Bolts by the Bucket " certainly do not know about it.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 289511

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:27

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:27
I just had a look at ours & they are stamped "Hayman Reese" & we purchased them from a reputable Auto retailer/ fitter at the time of purchasing Hayman Reese weight distribution equipment & having the same distributor fit a suitably rated tow bar to our tow vehicle to tow our van.
I hate assumptions, but assumed at the time that seeing that they new we were setting up to tow a van & were given the necessary weight specs. of the van & that they had fitted the tow bar, sold us the distribution equipment & the shackles, that all equipment, including the shackles met with any lawful requirements.
What does WLL stand for? Cheers

AnswerID: 289513

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:51

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:51
WLL stands for Working Load Limit or is often stamped SWL (safe working load) on earlier D shackels. The breaking point of this gear is often 8 to 10 times the rating on the D. Gear with a WWL is normally used in the lifting industry (cranes/hoists) & not a requirement for towing or trailer hitches. ie: a 2 tonne D shackel is not specified for a 2 tonne caravan.
If this was in fact a rule I'm sure our company who have hundreds of trailers would have let us know about it by now.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 554808

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:17

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:17
Just a follow up on my reply to the post & in particular in relation to safety chains.
On the 28th September 2006 my wife & I were heading for Cobar on the Barrier Hwy with our Van behind us.We had all the right tow gear rated correctly for our tow vehicle & van etc. About 30Ks or so out of Cobar & travelling at about 95 K, BAANG!! & almighty shudder in our car.
A quick glance in the rear view mirror revealed a caravanners worst night mare, the van was about 3 metres or so further behind us than where it should have been. My knee jerk reaction was to break & I did, HAARD.
Fortunatlety the van veered to the left & not into oncoming traffic & because the tow vehicle was breaking the R/H front of the van collided with the L/H side of the bumber on the car, this caused another shock wave in our car, but it also slowed up the uncontrolled progress of the van.
When all came still an inspection revealed the 50 mm tube that receives all hitch equipment AND THE SAFETY CHAINS had all broke loose & were laying on the ground.
MY POINT IS THIS. I AM GLAD THE SAFETY CHAINS WENT WITH THE REST AS I AM CONVINCED THAT HAD THEY REMAINED ATTACHED TO THE VEHICLE WE WOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL WITH THE VAN PUSHING US GOD KNOWS WHERE.
If it were to happen again & I was quick enough to think, I would step on the go pedal & get out of the way, not the brakes!!
Sequel to the story? My wife tells everyone that it was my "driving Skill" that saved us & is kind enough not to mention that it was my knee jerk reaction!!
AND all you Toyota Cruiser Owners. It was a bloke in a series 80 Cruiser that came along and about an hour after the excitement we were following him into Cobar with our van in tow, he was from Victoria & a top bloke. Would you belief it, but even though the electrical connection was ripped sort of apart, blinkers, break lights etc were all functioning.
FollowupID: 554813

Follow Up By: mowing - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:36

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:36
If I am getting the story right, what you are saying Barry is that the safety chains breaking was a good thing because your correctly rated vehicle could not have coped with a van attached by safety chains?
If this is the case I am glad that I was not coming the other way and your correctly rated van was not coming head on to my vehicle. Van doing 95km me doing 110km not a good assessment. If I have the story straight (and I hope I haven't,) your correctly rated scenario is absolute rubbish.Please tell me I have the story wrong.
FollowupID: 554819

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:55

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:55
Have had 2 trailers separate from the car/truck (Lets just say don't trust others to clip the tow hitch on) and both times the chains held. The first had the trailer slapping left & right but with some gentle braking came to rest under control. 2nd was a 4 tonne trailer in town popped off the pintal hook. As it was still attached it was a simple matter of applying the trailer brakes a little harder than the truck. I hate to have thought where the trailers could have ended up particularly in town with pedestrians about.
Chains of an appropriate size with no excess length attached with quality D's to sturdy points on the tow bar are a necessity from my experience.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 554829

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:56

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 19:56
You have got the story right, you have not got it wrong. it is not as you state, rubbish. I do not lie. My Insurance Company ( Allianze) would have wiped me, and let me assure you they investigated it pretty thoroughly & had I not complied with regulations I would not have received financial compensation from them nor from Hayman Reese.
I am also thankful that you nor any other motorist was not coming the other way & that the van veered to the left, away from oncoming traffic.
The safety chains did not break, nor did the shackles. The "flange" where you attach the shackles through are attached to the tube section, which gave away from the tow bar body.
The point I was trying to make is that regardless of whether or not your shackles are rated as the original post asked, would not have made any difference in our case. Cheers
FollowupID: 554830

Follow Up By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:32

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:32
What did you have your emergency brakes connected to on the tow vehicle? Aren't they supposed to brake the van in the event that everything else becomes separated?

I connect my emergency brake to the "towing loop" (not sure what it is called, but it is above the hitch/towball), and not the tow bar/hitch assembly for that very reason.
FollowupID: 554918

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 17:47

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 17:47
Our van has a loaded weight of about 1450 Kg & is not fitted with an emergency breaking system in case of seperation from the tow vehicle.
FollowupID: 554992

Follow Up By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:24

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:24
Mmmmm!

Could there be a lesson in all of this?
FollowupID: 555105

Reply By: Russell [SA] - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:03

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:03
OK you towing experts. Vans over 2 tonnes are required to have breakaway units with batteries to applied brakes for 15mins if activated. Vans are also required to have safety chains, except one cancels out the other. If the van breaks away but retained by the chains its unlikely the breakaway unit will be engaged as designed so what is one supposed to do.

Personally I use a 3tonne sailing shackle to connect the chains to the vehicle.

Russell
AnswerID: 289525

Follow Up By: Dion - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 01:32

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 01:32
"Vans over 2 tonnes are required to have breakaway units with batteries to applied brakes for 15mins if activated."

Not entirely true!

Breakaway brakes are not nescessarily electrically operated, the brakes may be air (positive pressure) or vacuum (negative pressure) operated. In either case, after breakaway, yes, they must hold the brakes applied for 15 minutes.
With air and vacuum trailer brake systems, I've looked and I've looked, but have been unable to find the battery, but by god, the brakes do remain applied for several hours and require re-connection to release them, or manual manipulation to release them.

Cheers,
Dion.
FollowupID: 554901

Reply By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:24

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:24
When we built our trailer a year ago we were told that the shackles should be rated!

Now this was by the bloke in the bolt shop of course, but he claimed to have had customers come in to get rated shackles because they had been told too by the police of Dept of Transport. (IIRC the police or Transport visited a local caravan club meeting).

The shackles did not cost very much!
AnswerID: 289553

Reply By: Member - Happy Gutz (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:59

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:59
Don't forget, the chains have to be rated as well. Don't ask me what is the actual rating is , I wouldn'd have a clue. But I do know the correct chain is bloody heavy.
AnswerID: 289562

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:59

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:59
Ok ,so now we know that we all have to have rated shackles on the safety chain/s and that the chain itself should also be rated ,, no problem ??? Now how can we be assured that the WELD holding the chain to the chassis is strong enough / RATED !!
AnswerID: 289684

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:19

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:19
At least in Qld, the following applies to the safety chain, as referenced from Dept Transport - Code of Practice:

For trailers up to 3.5 tonnes ATM, the safety chain attachment can be by welding. The weld must extend around 50% of the circumference of the link and the adjoining link must have free movement.

Also:

Trailers up to 2.5 tonnes ATM must have at least one safety chain complying with AS4177.4 - 1994 (Trailer and light trailer towing components – Safety chains up to 3.5 tonnes capacity), or as amended from time to time.

Andrew
FollowupID: 555044

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:58

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:58
Philip

"12.3 Drawbars Safety Chains
All pig trailers with rigid drawbars and any other trailer without breakaway brakes must be fitted with safety chains complying with the following:

trailers of ATM up to 2.5 tonnes must have at least one safety chain complying with AS 4177.4 -1994 or as amended from time to time;
trailers of ATM over 2.5 tonnes and up to 3.5 tonnes must have two safety chains of designation of 3500 kg complying with AS 4177.4-1994;
trailers of ATM over 3.5 tonnes and up to 4.3 tonnes must have a chain size of at least 7.1 mm a minimum chain breaking load of 6.4 tonnes be made from steel of a minimum 800 Mpa breaking stress and conforming to the mechanical properties of Grade T chain as specified in AS 2321-1979 'Short Link Chain for Lifting Purposes (non calibrated). trailers of ATM over 4.3 tonnes and up to 4.5 tonnes must have a chain size of 9.5 mm a minimum chain breaking load 11.6 tonnes be made from steel of a minimum 800 Mpa breaking stress and conforming to the mechanical properties of Grade T chain as specified in AS 2321-1979 'Short Link Chain for Lifting Purposes (non calibrated) or as amended from time to time
(Effective from July 1998)
12.4 Drawbars Safety Chain Attachments
The chain must be permanently attached to the trailer shackles are not permitted.

For trailers up to 3.5 tonnes ATM the safety chain attachment can be by welding. The weld must extend around 50% of the circumference of the link and the adjoining link must have free movement.

For trailers over 3.5 tonnes ATM safety chain attachment must not involve welding or deformation of the chain. Suitable pin-lock couplings should be used.

The safety chain attachment must be located as near as practicable to the coupling and where 2 points of attachment are required they must be mounted one on either side of the centreline of the drawbar

The safety chain attachment must withstand the following minimum forces separately applied without incurring either any residual deformation that would interfere or degrade the function of the assembly or any breaks cracks or separation of components

Longitudinal tension (N) .. 9.81 x ATM (in kg)
Vertical Load (N) ..... 0.5 x 9.81 x ATM (in kg). "

Have a read of this link Au gov.

Cheers

Richard

AnswerID: 289734

Sponsored Links