front recovery points

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:57
ThreadID: 54956 Views:1935 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have a GU Nissan Patrol, with an alloy bull bar. Any ideas on where front recovery points can be bolted on..Don't want to replace bullbar. Can the standard tow hook be used if the bolts are replace with hardened steel bolts? Not using the tie down points.
Thank you
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Johno [NSW] - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:20

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:20
The hook attached to one of your chassis rails is designed for recovery. However it is a good idea to attach a second hook to the other chassis rail to allow for an even pull using a "Y" chain configuration during recoverys.
Unfortunately Nissan only put one hook initially, probably as a cost saving exercise
Good luck
AnswerID: 289533

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:54

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 20:54
Hi there Johno, changing subject slightly you say "allow for an even pull using a "Y" chain configuration during recoverys". I have been told not to do this as it pulls the chassis rails towards each other. Is this comment a fair one or is it some one talking out there ar#se. I have been pulled out a few times in the old lux,mud etc and did have two front rated hooks one either side but only ever used one at a time.Who ever had it before me must have been pulled out BUT they must have done it via the bullbar and I would say via a Y configuration as the two lower holes at the point of the steel arb bar were slightly twisted indicating this to me. They obviously didnt no not to recover from the bull bar instead of recovery points. I have also fitted 2 to the front of the prado. Whats your thoughts on this. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 554856

Follow Up By: GerryP - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:06

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:06
Using a bridle ("y" configuration) is recommended to provide an even pull to both sides of the chassis. This is particularly important for severe snatching loads. I normally use a rated nylon bridle rather than chain. As long as the "legs" of the bridle are long enough (the longer they are, the straighter the pull), you will not damage the chassis. Also, DO NOT loop the strap (or chain) from one recovery point, across to the adjacent one as the force applied during the recovery will "squeeze" the chassis rails together - go from each recovery point directly to the main recovery strap.
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 554870

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:12

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:12
Thanks Gerry. Might go and get myself a bridle and as you have mentioned make sure it is of reasonable length. Would some thing like this be available from either ARB or TJM or is this some thing I would have to get made up ?? The latter I would think not as it wouldnt be rated.Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 554875

Follow Up By: Old Johno [NSW] - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:40

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:40
Stephen M the post from GerryP is correct, however I use a chain and find them quite Ok.
Good Luck
FollowupID: 554943

Follow Up By: GerryP - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:24

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:24
Stephen M, I got mine from Futura (now Gasweld I think), however, Nobles would have them also. Nobles would also be able to help with rated drag chains as well if that is your preference.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 555003

Reply By: Monkey - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:59

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 21:59
The standard tow hook on a GU is fine for recovery. If you want a tow hook for the other side they can be purchased from Nissan or more cheaply from Nizzbits on the patrol4x4 web site. He supplied mine with the bolts included.
I think from memory the earlier GU's don't have the bolt holes pre-drilled on the other side. You might want to check that.Mine is a 2005 model and the second tow hook bolted straight on.

Regards, Monkey
AnswerID: 289561

Sponsored Links