Newbie - planning Simpson trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 22:44
ThreadID: 54965 Views:1940 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

basically just wanna say hello. Have been lurking for ages and got an awful lot of hints and good advice concerning my previews trips around OZ, not to mention a regular fair share of laughs (aka phriday phunnies). Thanks to all for that.

As far as I'm concerned this forum is the best way to enjoy Aussie mateship online, especially when your so unlucky to live on the wrong side of the planet (poor bugger me). So I thought it's finally time to sign up and become a member.

I'm desperately looking forward to a trip across the Simpson in May. I'll be starting on the Sapphire coast (NSW) and since time is precious my basic plan is to follow the Murray, drive up to Coober Pedy along the black stuff (done the Oodnadatta track before)
and traverse west to east along a mixture of the French and WAA lines.

Then return maybe via Walkers Crossing to Innaminka. It's still eight weeks to go, so hard to predict what road conditions will be like. But from what I read recent rain (what a relief for the farmers) might have a significant influence on my plans.

What do you think, assuming there's not more rain to come over central QLD, is there any chance the water will reach Lake Eyre
and still be there in eight weeks from now? That would be an absolute highlight and definitely worth a detour. But I reckon even if water will reach Lake Eyre, it will evaporate too quickly.

Cheers Wolf
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 00:40

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 00:40
Wolf

your web site is a good read and some great photos, sorry I can't help you on the simpson but I sure someone will ,,

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 289593

Follow Up By: Member - Wolf (Int) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:09

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:09
Thanks Richard.

I know at this point any answer to my question is just guesswork anyway.

I read in the forum that flooding of the Cooper Creek will soon reach the Innaminka area and the crossing might be closed for weeks. In an ABC news coverage they said that it actually is likely that water will reach Lake Eyre. But they didn't give any estimates on how much water it might be or how long it is likely to stay there.

On wikipedia they write: "The entire flow of the Murray-Darling would be insufficient to fill Lake Eyre, merely keeping pace with evaporation." Geez, what a place this is! Now I do appreciate those few drops of "real rain" we had while camping at Coward springs back in 2005 even more.

Cheers Wolf
FollowupID: 554914

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:13

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:13
I'll second Richard's comments about your website; a really good read. many of your photos was like going down memory lane as they were just like ours.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 555042

Follow Up By: Member - Wolf (Int) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 07:57

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 07:57
Thanks mate.

Cheers Wolf
FollowupID: 555104

Reply By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:18

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:18
Wolf

Have a look at this websiteLake Eyre Yacht Club

It is a great source of info and updated regularly.

GB
AnswerID: 289609

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:18

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:18
Also meant to say that May is a great time of year for a trip like that. Enjoy.

GB
FollowupID: 554924

Follow Up By: Member - Wolf (Int) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 17:54

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 17:54
Thanks Garbutt,

I already thought it might be a good idea to take a tinny on that trip. But the idea of actually sailing the lake didn't cross my mind. Thanks for that one. LOL

Cheers Wolf
FollowupID: 554997

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 17:30

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 17:30
At the moment it's unlikely Lake Eyre will fill significantly if at all. It usually requires rain to fall in different catchments at different times then arrive simultaneously. Further rain over the next couple of months may change that though so keep your eye out. One thing that the rain may muck up is your plans to use Walkers Crossing as it is pretty likely Coongie Lakes will overflow and possibly flood that area within 8 weeks. They are already forecasting the closure of the Innamincka causeway.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 289667

Follow Up By: Member - Wolf (Int) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:09

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:09
Thanks Craig

that helped a lot. I'll keep an eye on the road conditions reports and the BOM website.

Cheers Wolf

FollowupID: 555000

Sponsored Links