ARB Smart solenoid/ emergency starting??

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:34
ThreadID: 54970 Views:5343 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I read/heard/saw some information about 'shorting out' the ARB Smart solenoid to use the auxilliary battery for cranking in an emergency situation.
I have done a search on this Well of Wisdom forum- but must be using the wrong parameters ..
The solenoid has 2 fat cables- i assume to the Cranking & Aux. batterys- and three spade terminals- one has a black wire to earth, one has a white wire going somewhere, and the third spade terminal is unused ..
Anyone any ideas.??

And everyone have a good day !!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:16

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:16
Will have to check and get back to you, regarding which one is which etc.. but I have the ARB smart solenoid and had a soft switch mounted on the dash.( yoyu press it in but it doesn't stay engaged when you release it). so that should I (or SWMBO) leave the lights on etc.. you can press the button which connects the 2 batteries and use the 2nd battery for cranking. Although the 2nd battery is deep cycle so may be best to just hold the switch in for a while to allow some power to flow to the cranking battery as deep cycles don't release the power quick enough for cranking generally.. (so it depends on your 2nd battery type whther it is worth doing this.) It seems strange you don't have this, as I thought it was standard fitting with the ARB smart solenoid installation.

Will get back to you within an hr or so with a description of my solenoid wiring. Cheers.
AnswerID: 289617

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:25

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:25
Thanks mate- I think you're on the right track there..
Cheers

FollowupID: 554940

Reply By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:42

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:42
The ARB unit is actually a Surepower 1314

http://www.surepower.com/separator.html

The sticker on the front shows the connections. If it is missing

The connector next to the grounded one is aux start. ARB usually connect this to the starter light, or switch or to the winch or both which is bad. It should be to a momentary switch, otherwise you never know if you have a flat cranking batt.

the other one is Auk start light out. It lights up a light when the one above is activated.

AnswerID: 289620

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:24

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:24
Hi Tony...
Why would the 'centre' pin (next to the grounded one) be going to the starter motor??..
See my current set up below..
Have you any suggestions for a recommended wiring setup??

FollowupID: 554946

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:31

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:31
It is wired to the starter because when you start, it overrides the normal function and closes like a relay.

Mine was set up like this and it was bad because I had a flat main battery for a while and didnt know it bacuase the car started ok from the Aux.

The way I have it wared now is to put a switch in the middle of the line to the starter. Taht way it normaly starts of the one battery ( cranking batt) but you can over ride it when your cranking batt is low it is like jumper leads between the 2 batteries.

FollowupID: 554958

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:46

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:46
OK.. now lets see if I can describe this in a way you might be able to understand...

The switch on my dash (similar to a small horn button in that it is spring loaded and there is no way to leave it "on") has two wires of course... one runs (positive) to the solenoid terminal that the heavy duty positive cable running to the + on the Aux battery is on. (this is the terminal furthest from the mounting base of the solenoid). The other cable from the switch is obviously - and it is connected to one of the spade terminals you mentioned. (of note is that the one spade terminal that is between and perpendicular to the other two is not used at all) The spade terminal this wire from the switch is connected to is the one furthest from the mounting point (I hope you cansee what I'm talking about) the other spade terminal is as you mentioned earlier and is the earth that is wired to a nearby point of the body of the vehicle. I have no idea where your "non-earth" black wire would going to,but I can assure you that mine goes o the switch.

Hope this has helped and I hope not too confusing. Cheers
AnswerID: 289622

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:18

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:18
Thanks Coyote- yup it was a bit confusing (I am a bit slow)..
Any how- the 2 fat cables are where they should be..
Now the spade connectors..(currently on my vehicle).
The one closest to the mounting bracket goes to earth (body)..
The centre one is wired down onto the starter motor..
And the 3rd (closest to the bigger connections) is empty
Any ideas from yourself (or anyone??)
FollowupID: 554945

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:39

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:39
I have no idea why the centre one is wired to your starter motor. Mine is not used at all. My earth is the same as yours.. (closest to mounting bracket) and the one furthest away goes to my switch (these two spades are parallel to each other and the middle one is perpendicular and not used)
Then I have a positive cable coming from the "fat" cable connection at the solinoid that runs to the Aux battery. this + cable also goes to my switch.

This set up basiclly overrides the solenoid which is designed to seperate the batteries when the engine is not running (ie prevent any power drain on your cranking battery when stopped) you should be able to here the solenoid click when you turn the ignition key. This solenoid also makes sure thast the cranking battery recieves all charge from your alternator before allowing charge to flow to your aux battery.. otherwise like some of the cheaper solenoids all that happends is that the batterys just even themselves out. (a bit like to buckets of water with a hose between them.. if you don't have a "smart' valve between them,. they will just become levle with each other resulting in possibly 2 batteries (buckets) with out enough power to start anyway.. thats why the "smart" solenoid is so good.
FollowupID: 554947

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:02

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:02
Coyote
Just had a squizz at the SurePower details...
Apparently- the wire from the centre pin to the 'starter motor' is in fact )indirectly) connected to the start position of ignition. It is supposedly for 'automatic operation'.
I don't think it's very 'automatic' as I did have a cranking battery failure (after leaving headlights on) and it didn't work.
It looks as if you've gotta have at least 3V for it to actuate- so my battery must have been dead flat.
Think I might put the 'manual' system in..
Thanks for your assistance..
FollowupID: 554954

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:15

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:15
Hey Coyote
Just to confuse the issue for you..
The diagram on the SurePower site shows the CENTRE spade is for the Auxilliary start operation.
The spade opposite the EARTH one (closest to the big lugs) is for the 'Auxilliary Start Indicator Light'.
FollowupID: 554956

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 14:05

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 14:05
maybe mine is a different model or is incorrectly installed by ARB.. either way, it weems to be working OK and I'm not going to muk with it.. I have found out the hard way that tampering with a professional installation usually ends up in tears.. Cheers..
FollowupID: 554960

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:30

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 13:30
If you run power from the start key to that unused spade, when you turn to start, it will join the batteries to give a boost to that sequence. If you have a efi car, be careful doing this as the spike may do in your efi computer if your main is low and aux is full...otherwise, this is a great way to minimise voltage drop....which causes premature failure of starter contacts etc...it also exercises the aux battery...
Andrew
AnswerID: 289639

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:53

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:53
I never need um, but always carry them, jumper leads?
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 289732

Sponsored Links