100 Series T/D radiator fan problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 19:29
ThreadID: 54988 Views:6240 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
100 Series T/D radiator fan problem. Has anyone experienced a fan blade hitting their radiator during a water crossing? I have been warned of this by two different people and am told the fix is to fit an 80 series fan. Any experiences or feedback would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TD100 - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 19:33

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 19:33
TPG,

Yep mines done it but not pierced the core.apparently you fit a 78/79 series fan or as some one suggested the other day cut a piece of 20mm wire mesh the size of the core and put it behind the cowl.it supposedly works,try a search.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 289690

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 20:16

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 20:16
I think its got something to do with the flex of the blades. 100 series is more flexy and gets sucked into the radiator. Others I believe have less flex solving the issue.

I'll stand corrected but I'm pretty sure that's it.
AnswerID: 289698

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 20:24
The 80 series will flex as well, trust me.

There is one solution fit some small mesh max size 20mm x 20mm between the cowling and the radiator.

Parks have done this and so have I I will do my new car soon and post some before and after photo's.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 289701

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:34

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:34
Gday Steve,

The mesh sounds like a really good solution, but
#1 I'm curious as to how far off the aluminium core you need to space it. You wouldn't want it to touch and rub on the core. #2 And if its spaced out a bit, I'd expect it might get hit by the fan a lot???
#3 What sort of mesh?? If its normal square mesh might have the fan sliding on the mesh on the horizontal, but catching on the vertical, if you know what I mean??

Are these issues or not?

FollowupID: 555047

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:50

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:50
The mesh sits on the outer edge of the radiator so as the mesh doesn't hit the core, It is then held in place by the shroud.

There is a gap between the mesh and the core, and then a more than large enough gap between the mesh and the fan.

Ideal if you cross water without a bow wave the fan will not flex into the radiator, I have done close to 1000 meter deep water xings to twin falls and back and never done the radiator, however its a fine line between fine and disaster.

You can use small mesh, Parks use 20mm x 20mm and if the fan hits the mesh and breaks its better the fan than the radiator, catching the fan wont hurt either as the fan will stop but every thing else will turn I use a smaller woven mesh that wont catch the fan.

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 555052

Reply By: stevesub - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 20:41

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 20:41
Our 78 series has marks on the radiator after a deep water crossing - the mesh sounds like way to the go - next trip to Bunnings!!!

Stevesub
AnswerID: 289706

Reply By: The Parts Guy - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:02

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:02
Thanks all for the quick responses. sounds like the mesh is the way to go. I will have a look at the best way to mount to the radiator, and still fit the shroud. I wonder if it will need to be spaced back from the radiator core? Hopefully get time on the weekend and report back. Cheers
AnswerID: 289712

Reply By: apriti00 - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 23:13

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 23:13
There have been several discussions on this and other forums about the problem, I myself have had it happen and several large marks in the radiator and three blades broken. This happened in a mud hole not a water crossing and accept that stiffer blades will help as will a layer eg mesh between the radiator and fan, but this does not address the problem. After having spoken with several others that have been affected I believe that one of the main common contributing factors is the large plastic inspection plug in the front bash plate missing. I have now replaced my bash plate with one that covers the area between the bottom of the radiator and the cross member and does not have a hole where the original plastic bung goes, this has now eliminated the space where water could have entered originally and have had no further problems in water crossings. I guess you will do your own studies and make up your mind as which way to go, I originally was also going to use some form of barrier between the fan and radiator but decided against this as the risk of vibrations causing punctures to the radiator or breaking blades away from access to spare parts was to risky and would also reduce the efficiency of the radiator, I believe that I have read somewhere that Toyota advises not to use a mesh in front of the radiator as it could cause other problems.
Just my 2c worth and I hope that the others that have used the mesh have also cured the problem with that fix.
AnswerID: 289746

Reply By: Member - Rodney B (NT) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:56

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:56
Did a trip with mate up Cape last year and his 75 broke two fan blades on water crossings (two seperate occasions) and he managed to get a replacement fan at Siessa. I did the same crossings in my 80 series petrol and never had any problems.
My theory is that I go into the water slow on idle and dont accelerate until the fan blade touches the water by which time the water has stopped the blade rotating. I have done many top of the bonnet water crossings this way. Works for me.

Rod
AnswerID: 289770

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 14:33

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 14:33
Those hero's that drive into the water flat out, generally end in tears.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 555146

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:49

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:49
you don't have to be going fast to bust a fan in a 100 series cruiser. i did mine in 2nd gear lowrange up the cape in 2006, i was going slowly and taking it easy. since then i have heard of heaps of other 100 series cruisers doing the same, whilst up the top i knew of 5 other vehicles doing it around the time i was up there. on several other forums it is well documented aswell, so whilst i have no sympathy for the speed freaks, it does happen to alot of responsible drivers aswell.

have heard of a few people saying the 80 series fans are the fix, is currently a thread on LCOOL about this with all the details if anyone is interested.
FollowupID: 555221

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:58

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:58
I have seen several 75/78/79/80 series take out their radiators the same way, so myth Busted.

I have actually seen more of the others do it as apposed to the 100 series.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 555222

Reply By: tuck 01 - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 15:18

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 15:18
A bloke told me once that he fixed this concern by drilling a small 1/8" hole in the end of one fan blade and simply tied the fan in place with an occy strap before deep crossings.
Did not see it in action but he said he used it several times on Cape York trip and no problems.
Was planning to do same for Cape trip this year.
Cheers
AnswerID: 289819

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 15:59

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 15:59
I know a guy who has holed two rads in his hzj105. I took him an 80 series 1hz fan and coupling,. and the 80 one has a shorter shank, therefore moving the fan away from the rad by half an inch...he didnt give it back :)
Andrew
AnswerID: 289827

Sponsored Links