bt50

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:42
ThreadID: 54997 Views:2480 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
anyone had experience towing with a bt50 I have a 2tonne kedron, is 5th gear a overdrive or should i use 4th gear
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wingwang - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:22

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:22
ask Mazda if you want a qualified answer
Mitsubishi gave me a letter saying the 3.2L Triton is rated to tow rated load in 5th gear.
AnswerID: 289797

Reply By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 13:46

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 13:46
Ford Ranger(same vehicle) owners manual says don't tow in overdrive. We had no problem towing boat and tray top camper to SA and back August 07 with Ford Ranger auto in 4th gear.
AnswerID: 289808

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:04

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:04
Hi Colin & Becky,
We have a 4 X 2 manual BT 50 and there is no mention in the manual about not towing in fifth.
About October 07 I phoned Mazda customer service & asked the
question and was given a very emphatic "Do not tow in fifth"
This question was raised again very recently on this Forum & it got me thinking because I did not understand the mechanical reason as to why I could not do so.
So only yesterday I again phoned Mazda on 1800034411 and spoke with a technical representative who advised me that there was no transmission issues with towing in fifth, just to make sure that you change back when pulling up a hill or similar. His comment was simply that you do not labour the motor. I also spoke (yesterday) with the service Dept. Mazda here in Cardiff and asked the same question. There comment was the same, no transmission issues, just don't labour the motor.
We are very happy with the vehicle towing a pop top loaded weight of about 1450 Kg. Pulls it with ease & power to spare
FollowupID: 555182

Reply By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 20:39

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 20:39
Mazda advise sounds OK not labouring the engine sound logical. Our Ranger is a 4x4 auto TD so not sure if that makes a difference, sorry can't be more technical.
AnswerID: 289879

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 00:01

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 00:01
Is it Auto or Man?
Generally, the main issue is that overdrive need to to use multiple gears, where as forth gear is straight thru the center of g/box, that is to say, basically no gears are being used, just a shaft straight thru.
Some gearbox's use and idler gear and Third to achieve overdrive, thus loading up thrust bearings and planetary shafts, all of which create heat.
I would guess that Fifth in your BT50 is most likely Overdrive (auto or manual) and I wouldn't worry about making the motor work (peak torque around 2000RPM) any less than that change down,
That big caravan may tow best in 4Th IMHO, come to a hill and you will have plenty of rev's in reserve thus not needing to be constantly changing down (or "hunting"in auto ),Flat road ,no headwind , 5th may be more suitable, this rule of thumb applies across the board, not just to Mazda/Ford.
There are plenty out there who tow in fifth with out worry, there are also some out there who have shelled out big $$$$ for g/box rebuild, each to ther own, I had to rebuild a g/box at 80k and never towed anything, you either get a good one, or not.
Shane

AnswerID: 289941

Sponsored Links