Sleeping bag

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:40
ThreadID: 55000 Views:2942 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at updating my old sleeping, it has served me well for many years.
I have had a first look around and the choice is huge but based on your experiences are there any I should stay away from, this will help me narrow down the list.
What I am looking for will need to fit in my sway and I prefer a full size as it will probably live in there, warmth is a major consideration as a warm bag can be opened for fresh air whereas a cold bag will make camping a bad experience, weight should not be an issue as it will be carried in the vehicle and I believe that some of the synthetic fills are very good or should I concentrate on down etc.... Price will have a bearing but not a determining factor as being comfortable and happy is much more important.
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Cheers Walter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:10

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:10
G'day,

take a look at Roman Big Man bags. I have five and recommend them. Non tapered, full size, fully zipped, hooded, etc.
AnswerID: 289772

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:39

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:39
Jeez, you must be a big bloke to need 5 sleeping bags :)

FollowupID: 555125

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:41

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:41
Forgot to add, I also have a Roman Big Man sleeping bag, have had it for more than 20 years.

FollowupID: 555126

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:08

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:08
ditto.
My clients sleep in Romans - we have winter ones and summer ones.
They have probably done 50 client nights each, including washing in between times and I slept in one summer one last night and was admiring how well they have stood up to it.
This has included folks who might get hot and sweaty and be doing without a shower for a day or so...
Cheers
Andrew.
FollowupID: 555208

Follow Up By: Groove - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:18

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:18
I will put in my vote for ROMAN, I've had one for years, its roomy warm and has stood the test of time.

My girlfirend bought one last week from Rays outdoors very reasonably priced.
FollowupID: 555212

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:23

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:23
funny that Groove... I forgot to say you can zip them together too. You might want to watch that she doesn't leave the two bags unattended together without adult supervision - they might start mating ;-)

I bought all 12 of mine from BigW.
FollowupID: 555213

Follow Up By: HowdyDoody - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:09

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:09
I'll vote for Roman too. Been sleeping in them summer and winter (snow) for years. Warm, comfy, easy zips, and you are right, about using them in the heat. Easy to unzip and let the cool in or open right out and just lay on top of you.
FollowupID: 555352

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:42

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:42
Walter,

I have serveral different sleeping bags which I used when I was teaching in the outdoors. They are all expensive 'walled', 'super-down' bags. The one I used in the snow for lightweight snow-camping cost over $800 and is fantastic for it's intended use.

I also have a swag and find the down bags quite poor, due to the fact that the canvas is quite heavy and sits on top of the bag and over the night compresses it and 'pushes' out the air, which is what keeps it warm.

I also have some MUCH cheaper synthetic bags and a single doonah which I find much better for this purpose. I guess my point is that for car camping/swag use, you don't need to spend a fortune on a sleeping bag. The suggestions above about the Roman bags is a good one.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 289774

Reply By: Member - John H (WA) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:57

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:57
As others have mentioned, try some of the Roman sleeping bags. I use one called 'The Beast'. Full size bag (not tapered), zip out cotton linner for ease of washing/cleaning, rated to -10. Have slept many a warm night in my swag whilst the ice formed outside.

Hope the info helps.

John
AnswerID: 289778

Reply By: mfewster - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:10

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:10
I completely agree with Mark E re down bags and swags. Down is great for bushwalking due to light weight, but not best choice for swags. Synthetic bags also much easier to clean. I don't see the need for a bag at all inside a swag. You already have a matress under you which insulate very well. The bag just constricts you in a swag. We have a double queensize doona from Target for the swag (and down bags for hiking). The Target doona cost about $60 a couple of years ago. I don't mean a double bed size. The double doona has two lighter weight doonas that can be clipped together to form a double thickness doona for cold weather. Then, it is REALLY warm. During warmer months we use only one doona and that is plenty warm enough for all but the very coldest nights in mid winter. The double doona is a versatile, and cheap, way to go.
Re synthetics. The type such as Hollowfill where the strands of the fibres are actually hollow give a bit more warmth for the weight.
AnswerID: 289784

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 20:44

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 20:44
Walter

I agree with Mark. A Super Down bag is by far the best option. However, their very expensive, and not suited to flat swags. Compressed Down is totally useless.

You should also be aware that there are some pretty dodgy products on the market.

If you decide to buy a high quality Down bag, test it first by compressing the bag with your hands. If you hear a lot of 'crunching' it will indicate goose feathers or some other material you don't need.

The other problem with Down bags is washing the damn things. It's a five day process if you do it properly.

Having said all that, if your arse is freezing, there is nothing like Down.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 289882

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 22:08

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 22:08
I agree also, dont scrimp if your buying a down bag. Try places such as Mountain Designs, Katmandu, Mainpeak etc- gear designed by people who use it, in climates that test it, and quality to boot.

add a silk liner- less need for washing of the bag and toasty warm...plus who doesnt like the feeling of silk on their skin- I have said too much already
FollowupID: 555228

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:14

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:14
I bought a Mac Pac down bag over 25 years ago and it has traveled with me around the world to hot and cold climates being used as a doona or a sleeping bag. Back then the rating was -15 bag and I have never had a problem with it. It is rare I do have to zip it up and climb inside.
This bag gets used on every trip and I estimate I have slept in it for more than 6 years. It now gets rolled up in my swag and yes the canvas does compress it sometimes but if I know it will be cold I will string up the swag to a tree or ute.
AnswerID: 290012

Sponsored Links