Is it Kerosene to add to diesel to make Alpine mix?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:01
ThreadID: 55017 Views:13933 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy Folks, hows things?

Just a quick one...

Is it kerosene that you add to conventional diesel to make Alpine Diesel? If so, how much ? (i have a 90 litre 80 series)

Cheers in advance...

Rowen

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: herkman - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:06

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 21:06
In the mercedes owners book say ML270, is a chart which shows at what abrient temperature, how much kero per tank you can add.

Our ML is long gone, but MB dealership should be able to help.

It is common practice in Europe to do what you are wanting.

Regards

Col
AnswerID: 289891

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 23:30

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 23:30
G'day Col

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 555255

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 23:09

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 23:09
G'day Rowen,

I've heard of the kero mix but can't help with the mix.

If I can't get alpine diesel when I need it I use a commercial product called "Ice Breaker". The 1 litre bottle will treat 2000 litres for memory. It prevents freezing, gelling and conditions. Never had a problem with it and have had the truck parked overnight at -5.5c.

Cost about $30 for memory and lasts a fair while as I only use it during cold snaps when I can't get alpine diesel - can only get it round here after June - still gets bloody cold in May.

I got the ice-breaker at a larger fuel outlet/distributor.

Tim
AnswerID: 289930

Reply By: 93 Navara - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:48

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 08:48
From memory, 5% has been mentioned in previous posts. DON'T take this as gospel, just passing on consensus of previous post!
AnswerID: 289984

Reply By: Member - dock - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:23

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:23
This is an article i wrote for our 4WD magazine a couple of years ago. I got the info from a local fuel operator.

WINTER DIESEL

Diesel has a tendency to freeze when reaching the low temperatures encountered in the High Country of Victoria in Winter. The wax content of the fuel is what actually blocks the filters pumps and fuel lines of diesel vehicles. For this reason service stations near the High Country and on the snow routes sell a modified diesel, usually beginning at the start of April. Some fuel retailers at Mansfield and Myrtleford sell “winter diesel” all year round, but you have to ask for it out of season.

There is actually two winter diesels available. The first one called Highland Diesel is the one you will get out of the pump of most servos’ in the foothills of the High Country. The second is called Alpine Diesel. Both of these have had heating oil added to the fuel to dilute the wax content of the fuel. Highland has 20% heating oil added. Alpine diesel has 40% heating oil added and is only suitable for extreme weather conditions or machinery left stopped for extended periods in the cold. The addition of heating oil lowers the octane rating and hence the punch of the fuel and is why truckies’ avoid it like the plague.

While frozen fuel doesn’t damage the engine, it will make it run rough or not even start. The solution to this is to warm any areas where the fuel runs, ie. the pump, the filters and the fuel lines. The easiest, if you have time, is to push the vehicle into a sunny spot lift the bonnet and wait until all the fuel lines, pumps, filters etc. warm up enough to allow you to start the motor. You can also pour warm water over filters, pumps and lines to help speed up the process. If near mains power, I’ve also heard of a hair dryer been used.
It seems the filters get blocked the easiest, so trying to warm these is the most effective.

The simplest way to avoid having this happen when you are overnight in the High Country is to get fuel at one of the towns at the foothills. You should plan to get more then half a tank of Winter Diesel. This also pumps dollars into the local economy, especially when you see the price you will have to pay. You can also put in fuel additives that claim to lower the freezing point. The use of 2% or more of unleaded petrol into a tank of diesel is not recommended as you could possibly burn out the tips of your injectors.

Hope it helps
AnswerID: 290003

Reply By: Ted (Cairns) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:06

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:06
I'd go for the following options, in this order:
1, commercially available "alpine" diesel
2, diesel fuel additive off the shelf
3, kerosene - can't find any recommended % for this, but Iveco was recommending up to 50% in extreme cases (-30 or below), and that's for (mechanically injected) trucks. I'd stick to 10% or so.

Don't use unleaded, maybe 5% max in a 1HZ engine should be ok.

Cheers
Ted
AnswerID: 290016

Sponsored Links