storing diesel in drums.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:09
ThreadID: 55042 Views:2808 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I have a 60 litre drum originally used for thinners in a crash shop. It has been drained and left to air out the fumes. I want to use it to store diesel. Its dry but still has a huge smell of thinners coming from it. Should i rinse it out with anything before i fill it with diesel.
Cheers
patrolman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:23

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:23
If it is dry now, why wet it with anything ?
Just fill with diesel. The smell could be in a concentration of parts per billion of air so will not effect the diesel.
Most noses are very sentive instruments.
Vince
AnswerID: 290040

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:27

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:27
Gday,
Just rinse it with a bit of diesel.
Even if your not ready to fill it, rinse it with diesel to stop any rust.

Cheers
AnswerID: 290042

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:30

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 15:30
You should not need to wash it out however if you must then use about 1 ltr of diesel and put the cap on roll the drum around mt and use the diesel for killing weeds etc. When you store Diesel add some Pro-Ma diesel product to it to stop algae etc, this way it will keep for a long time.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290044

Follow Up By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:01

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:01
Dodger

Reading the datasheet on Pro-Ma diesel treatment, it doesn't mention anything about prolonging the storage life of diesel. Do Pro-Ma make a stabiliser product to inhibit the diesel molecules breaking down/changing, so that diesel can be stored longer than about 6-months? Which is what I was told by the guys at a couple of bulk fuel depots I asked a while back.

Cheers

Snowy

FollowupID: 555951

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:17

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:17
Snowy,
I do not know about storing beyond 6 months as far as diesel breaking down/changing. Just that I have used diesel from my drums that has been stored longer than 6 months and it has had no algea and had no noticable difference in performance.
Just my experience.
I have a 4.2td Gu patrol and they will practically run on any type of diesel.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 555958

Follow Up By: trainslux - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 18:25

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 18:25
Nulon diesel additive has claimed antifungal, and extended storage life for fuel. We have used it for a few years now.
as too does chemtec

I contacted BP regarding storage, as we have bulk in tanks for the ag equipment, and the new low sulphur diesel, especially the winter stuff, will last alot longer due to its chemical make up, as the alge feeds on the sulphur in the fuel, so low sulphur= less chance of alge explosion.
Still the best is to keep it free from moisture.
We run cheap z14 fuel filters in the air vent lines, so we can see any moisture in them first, then check the tank.

Just a bit of useless info for you.

Trains
FollowupID: 555976

Sponsored Links