Redline Water Wetter

Submitted: Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:06
ThreadID: 55046 Views:3167 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there people
I have a problem with my 2.8 td hilux overheating when in fith, with the a/c on and going up slight hills, i have had the water pump replaced, radiator checked out and turbo checked out just before summer, long story short turbo guy said try Redline Water Wetter in my cooling system, i am just wondering of anyone has used this and to what effect it had on their vehicle

Cheers Nigel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:34

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:34
never heard of that stuff but I got my radiator professionally cleaned and it made the world of difference in my Patrol
AnswerID: 290062

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:37

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:37
Buy 3 vials of silicone oil from toyota for the viscous hub and pull it apart drain it and put new vials in. I used a square shafted screw driver with a shifter on it to get the screws in and out.

Stuff the water wetter do this and I will almost put my house on it that your problem will be solved unless there is some other fault such as head gasket. (get it chcked 4 fumes in coolant)
AnswerID: 290064

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 17:35

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 17:35
I reckon your right on there howesy, they seem to be the main cause of any hilux,cruiser overheating. The turbo could be an issue as mentioned on exploreoz before when I looked at putting one on my old lux and decided against it from people on here who have been there and done it. But then you get people who like to play with either turbo or pump and have no idea what there doing and create there own problems. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 555383

Reply By: patrolmann - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:40

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:40
i had the same problem with my 2.8 l patrol after i spent $1100.00 on a new radiator for while touring in qld. Turned out a heavy duty radiator was fitted and being an aluminium 3 bar the water would drain through faster than it could cool. Soon as it looked at a hill up went the gauge.
Spent another $420.00 on a standard recond one for it and has never looked back.
AnswerID: 290065

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:48

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:48
patrolman,
If it's any comfort I did exactly the same with my 4.2 turbo. I bought a new 3 core radiator when I installed the turbo, didn't spend that much I must admit, had the same problem the extra core plus the air con rad restricted the air flow to much. Like yourself I went back to a standard radiator and never had a problem.
If the person who initiated this thread reads this, wetting agents do work to a point, they use them in drag vehicle engines to get maximum heat transfer between the metal and the cooling agent (water). As mentioned by others, a wetting agent is treating the symptom rather than the cause, could well be a problem with several bits, radiator, hoses, fan etc etc. Fix all the other stuff then start looking at wetting agents, you'll probable find you don't need one. Air circulation around the engine bay is something to watch. Lots of people get a truck load of air in but getting the hot air out of the engine bay is another issue often overlooked.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 555406

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 17:31

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 17:31
Check the viscous coupling on the cooling fan. I had to replace this on my 2.8D. Expensive from Toyota but the best. I was going to get after market but was advised against it by the bloke in the spare parts shop,would have been half the price of toyota. Other then that when did you last have the injector pump calibrated or have you played with it to get a few more herbs out the 2.8. If not set correctly will make it run hot and eventually stuff the motor. Should not need to add Water wetter. Just running the genuine coolant is enough (you are running coolant, arn't you ??). The 2.8's seem to have issues with turbos on them relating to running hot when using air,pulling up hills or towing. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 290072

Reply By: nigilor6 - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 18:08

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 18:08
Well the radiator had been pulled out and checked when the new water pump was put in, i quizzed the turbo guy today about the turbo and he said they set their turbo's too run up to no more than 500c exhaust temp, i asked the mechanic at work and he said their was no visible signs that the head gasket is going, im gonna flush the system this weekend and check the operation of the thermostat too see if it is opening fully and i might look at doing the viscos fan coupling thingo
AnswerID: 290081

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:18

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:18
having used the stuff before....it will compliment a healthy cooling system. But won't fix the real problem.

cheers Stefan
FollowupID: 555398

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:56

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:56
The short answer is ... it doesn't work!
AnswerID: 290104

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 21:57

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 21:57
Adding to whats already been said, using some "wonderstuff" would be at best, a band-aid solution, It would be far better to find the CAUSE.
I firstly check to see if the fan is working.
Shane
AnswerID: 290125

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:10

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:10
Shroud around fan ?? They come in two pieces on the hilux and when alot of them pull the radiator out they deside not to put the lower half back on as its a pain in the rear. I had a new radiator put in mine up north when on holidays and wasnt till I pulled the radiator out some time later to flush the mud and crap of it that I noticed the bottom half missing. Instead of pulling cool air through the front of radiator its just pretty much pulling air from around it instead of through it. If missing try a wreckers as they are $70 just for the bottom half and thats cost price. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 290130

Sponsored Links