100 series Sahara trip to Cape York

Submitted: Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 16:58
ThreadID: 55049 Views:3906 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have 12 month old 100 series Landcruiser Sahara and we intend to head up to Cape York in September towing a 4WD camper trailer. I have been up there before in my old 100 series GXL but have not done the trip with the Sahara with its airbag suspension. Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice on setting up my Sahara and whether or not I should do anything to beef up the suspension. When i tow my boat on the highway, it can drop down to the lowest setting and Toyota have told me the suspension has a weight limit of 180kg over the rear wheels. I do not want it dropping down up the cape as we will want clearance for creek crossing etc etc. Any tips and pointers would be welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:41

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 20:41
Allan,

I have one of these. Firstly, it does not have airbag suspension, the leveling is done hydraulically via the shocks. And yes, it will drop to the bump stops with too much weight on the back, AMHIK. The solution is a set of polyair/coil rite air bags for the rear springs.

I have had them fitted because I tow a race car trailer with a full load of tools/spares in the back and had it go down to the stops on a regular basis. I fitted the Polyairs and problem solved.

Also went on a trip to the Kimberley a couple of years with a mate back who had an LX470 with the same suspension system we have. He was recommended the Polyairs by the dealer and had no issues towing a CT through all the rough stuff. His truck was standard otherwise other than BFG AT Tyres.

I would recommend you get polyairs and a set of AT tyres, otherwise you will be OK.

OT
AnswerID: 290098

Follow Up By: AllanH - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:20

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 22:20
Thanks for that. Roughly how much would you expect a set of Polyairs to cost?
FollowupID: 555454

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 08:08

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 08:08
I got mine from www.truckspring.com in the US. The way the $ is at the moment you should be able to get them for a bit over $100.

OT
FollowupID: 555495

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 10:22

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 10:22
OT is right on what he says but the lowest setting is only available below 20 kph and normal is the standard. You can get a heavier set of springs too for the rears but the Polyairs or similar can provide the flexibility. Kath has Polyairs to keep her bum up.

I think you can get a switch to keep the high suspension setting but I haven't gone that way yet and I believe a wheel alignment would be advisable if you are going to do that for long.

OT, just a question, I see the reference to towing a trailer, are you the guy who has the chipping and exhaust mods I have seen reference to elsewhere? I may be interested having driven another 100 near by.
FollowupID: 555529

Follow Up By: AllanH - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:27

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:27
That was my next question. Will i need to disengage the current hydraulic suspension that is standard on the vehicle if I fit the Polyairs or does it still all work together? Also, how easy are they to fit yourself?
FollowupID: 555549

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 13:16

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 13:16
JohnR, no I'm not the guy, my 100 is standard other than the polyairs and a tow bar. I'm on the lookout of a 2nd hand Dtronic if one pops up though. Re your comment about the lowest setting being only available up to 20Kph; that is certainly the case if all is good but if you get into an "overwieght" situation as we are discussing, it will go to the lowest setting and stay there regardless of speed because the system does not have enough puff to keep it at normal height.

AllanH, no you will not need to disengage the hydraulic suspension, the polyairs simply fool it into thinking it has less weight on board than it actually does. The 100 is not the easiest fitment of polyairs because you have to remove the bumpstops and drill a dirty big 3/4 in hole in order to fit them. If I had not had the experience putting them in my Patrol (much easier) I would not have tried it and even now having done it, would not do it myself again. The pro's can do it in no time and saves you skinning your knuckes.

OT
FollowupID: 555555

Sponsored Links