Night Driving

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 14:55
ThreadID: 55079 Views:2958 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Broke one of my rules this week by driving late at night and towing a van. Could not sleep because of the nearness of road and truck noise so I moved on. Just on the fogline I spotted an echidna and moved over to hopefully avoid it. Unfortunately I did not and awoke the next morning to find a caravan tyre expired. $250 later and another new tyre I was on the way again. But this time with the no night driving rule highlited to remind me.
JimDi
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:10

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:10
Profound, very profound as well as deep and meaningful.

Just can't for the life of me decide whether its a wildlife, wallet, weather(fogline), morning person or self discipline issue.

AnswerID: 290241

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:22

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:22
A combination really.
1. Sorry I hit the echidna.
2. The tyre was destroyed beyond repair,was new, and had to be replaced.
3. I think you appreciate that "Fogline" is the white strip on the outside edge of the road.
4.Last but not least discipline/morning person...dunno...just wont drive at night again. Fingers crossed.
JimDi
FollowupID: 555563

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:19

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:19
Mmmm, I assume your car has lights, if you couldn't avoid the echidna at night why do you think you could have avoided it in the day time.
AnswerID: 290242

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:29

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:29
Reasonably confident on that point as during the previous two days driving I had managed to avoid...wait for it,two kangaroos a snake and four lizards.
JimDi
FollowupID: 555565

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:26

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:26
I take it the tyre expired for drifting off the road and not for hitting the roadkill?
AnswerID: 290246

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:35

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:35
No ,car and van stayed on the bitumen at all times. Swerving off road is not a habit of mine.
On inspection the next morning the tyre was full of quills and pronounced unrepairable. Happens all the time according to the tyre service owner.
JimDi
FollowupID: 555569

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:51

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:51
Should have added that the tyre was an almost new (less than 10000klm) Dunlop Grandtrek AT2.
JimDi
FollowupID: 555572

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:52

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 15:52
Interesting... saw plenty of echidnas on the road in tassie and didn't realise what a hazard they were.
FollowupID: 555573

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:01

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:01
Nor me until now. Generally try and avoid hitting anything with my rig. The damage to make it worse is not apparent but the tyre service bloke saw it almost immediately.
Even when removed and replaced the tyre looks undamaged, but the quills on closer inspection absolutely riddled the tyre. Most of the quills from what I could see penetrated thru the tyre tread and not the walls.
JimDi
FollowupID: 555576

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:30

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:30
Towing our van after dusk is deffinitely a no no with us too JimDi, after a hairy drive through a 100k kangaroo alley, whilst running late for our first nights stop at Gulgong N.S.W. one trip.
Just diverting, a mate was coming back from W.A. a couple of years ago, and ran over a very dead and very bloated wombat on the Nullabor, and the mess to the underside of his vehicle, not to mention the bloody caravan was sickening to say the least. This was in broad daylight!!! Realised at the last minute it wasn't going to move off and swerving by then was not an option.
Fred.
FollowupID: 555583

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:41

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 16:41
Usually stick to say 9am to 3pm. But was camped beside the road in the Pilliga NSW. Trucks were noisy and could not sleep because of them. Just too close to the road.
But live and learn as they say.
JimDi
FollowupID: 555589

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:19

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:19
Our bush camp in my rig pics is in the Pillaga off the Newell H'way..will be there at Easter..
FollowupID: 555595

Follow Up By: Muddy doe (SA) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 22:54

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 22:54
Can we safely assume, based on the amount of quills embedded in the tyre, that the echidna didn't make it?

FollowupID: 555655

Follow Up By: Camoco - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 14:41

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 14:41
I bought a motorbike fairly cheap a long while ago after the owner hit an echidna. Both Front and rear instantly deflated. He thought something had hit him from the side it went over so fast.

Never the less he survived and so did the bike as it was mostly only side grazing and mostly on the side of the road. Couldn't get his nerve up again to go back riding so I got it at a good price.

Since then I have always given a wide berth to the mobile pin cushions. Although I did run over a small piece of tube that I didn't see that had a very similar effect (on the same bike as well) without the road acting as a cushion.

My nighttime memories of the Pilliga are one of arriving very late one night and setting up camp only to be carried off by the mozzies. I used a mozzie net but had to wear work boots to keep them from biting my toes. It was so hot I couldn't do much else. Beaut spot though.

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 555937

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:02

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:02
A good many years ago, we were on a working holiday around the island and only travelled once at night. Car coming towards us, dipped lights and hit a big black cow that couldn't be seen. Luckily, I slowed down because of the car and wasn't going too fast.
Damage done, Cow nope it ran off, Front grill/bonnet Yep,
Radiator Yep Tow hitch to caravan Yep. Cooked headgasket delayed proceedings for a few days.
Luckily damage was fixed for under $500 but that was back in 77
AnswerID: 290290

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:15

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 15:15
Try and avoid running over any part of a carcass on the road.

Even the tips of the legs or tail of a roo can and will go through your tyres.

If you are parking overnight just off the road a bit, just look up and down the road and imagine trucks coming along with high beam on.
Are they going to light up your camp during the night with their lights on high beam

Also,bear in mind the trucks with their compression brakes, they might keep you awake at night if you re camped near a bend on a hill or a big corner.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 290398

Follow Up By: Member - Patrol Geoff (QLD) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 22:21

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 22:21
Back when I was young, a friend and I drove in my Telstar from Brissy to Gladstone to catch a ferry to dive at Heron Island. Being too stingy for accommodation we decided to leave at midnight and get there about 6am.

On the trip I noticed there were quite a few roos around, so when I ended up behind a big truck I was happy to sit there since he was doing a good speed and I thought that it would ensure that the road was clear of roos.

Well, it turns out the clearance of a truck is somewhat greater than a telstar and I don't know if it was old or new, but all of a sudden from the middle of the truck I see this roo carcass on the road. I decided I'd rather hit it in the middle of the car rather than risk swerving and bumping a wheel. There was a scraping noise and a squishy thunk.

After pulling over to assess the damage, the car was fine, but you could see tufts of fur on one of the bars underneath. And it smelt for quite a few days afterward.

-geoff
FollowupID: 556061

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:31

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 23:31
Coming back towards Cairns from the tablelands, my daughter and her flatmate were in flatmate's boyfriend's Pajero (he didn't know - he was out on a dive boat). We were following a good way behind because i had a camera. The girls couldn't avoid a roo carcase on a corner, and got a flat - a piece of bone embedded in the tyre. Driver was panicking as she had to get back and meet the dive boat. She was English, and didn't know what to do; especially when my husband asked about and described the lock nut key - 'oh i think i took in inside when i last cleaned the car; i didn't know what it was'. Luckily she was wrong and i eventually found it in the car.

Luck of the draw is if the tyre is terminally ruined, it is always the newest.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556077

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:35

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:35
Why should you not drive at night?

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 290528

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:18

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:18
Hi JimDi

We were warned of how much damage those spikes can do. We also have a rule of not to drive at night when towing, or at all in any area where there is a danger of hitting wildlife (or farm life if in station country). Your unfortunate experience reinforces this wisdom.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 290607

Sponsored Links