Generators

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:04
ThreadID: 55085 Views:4514 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking of buying a 2-3 kva generator some people are saying Honda but they seem pricey or the next option is Kipora does any have any thoughts or does anyone use on them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:30

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 17:30
Hi Derek

I was in the Varsity Lakes / Reedy Creek Camping store to day and
I noticed a Engel generator which was powered by a Honda motor,
it was to power Tv / Lights/ Power Tools / Fridges / most 240 volt
equipment, the price was $1600.

Cheers

Daza
AnswerID: 290259

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 18:27

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 18:27
Derek, I won't presume to tell you what you should do. Instead, I'll share my experience and that of friend.
Mine:
About 2 years ago I was in the market for a generator. Honda at the time were even more expensive than they are today. I read about Kipor and at half the price, I bought one. Worked well for just over 12 months, then died. Warranty was 12 months. I had it checked out at a local generator place that deals with Kipor and they said it was the the inverter and it's the most expensive part in the generator. Their price to repair it was about $100 less than I paid for it.

I eventually got onto the importer (Primus) and they agreed to have a look at it if I got it to Melbourne (I'm on the Gold Coast). After some argy bargy, they agreed if I got it to their Brisbane warehouse, they would get it to Melbourne. After a few weeks, they contacted me and said, yes it is the inverter. As the warranty had expired, they would not fit a new one, but would take the part out of another that had a siezed motor and repair it free of charge. I was happy with that, and got it back a couple of weeks later (total about 7 weeks). Despite the time taken, I was happy with this service and said as much on this forum.

Went on a 12 week trip a couple of months later. Gennie worked well for first 10 weeks, then started to play up. Would not hold load. By week 11, it was dead.

When we got home, my first stop was a Honda dealer, where I got a 2KVA Honda. Honda warranty is 4 years and the dealer endorsed my receipt that he would provide a further 12 months after that; 5 years total warranty. Honda has run perfectly since.

Only cost me about 1.5 times the price of a Honda to get to where I am today. I'f I'd bought the Honda up front, I'd have had less stress, probably no generator problems, and I'd still have 3 years left on my warranty.

Friend:
Through another friend he was offered a great deal to be part of a bulk buy of 2KVA generators to be imported from China. I think the price was around $450, so it was a great saving. when the gennie arrived, it worked well (but was a bit noisey). After two short trips, the gennie died. He is still trying to get it repaired I think.

If you are interested in getting a Honda, look on the web, there are some reasonable deals available. Good local agents will match these deals if you push them.

I do camping in very remote areas and at the moment don't have solar. Apart from charging batteries for the camp site (2 fridges, lights, etc), we carry laptops, cameras etc and I carry an electric motor for the tinnie. Not being able to charge batteries is a real downer on our travels.

In our travels, Honda is far and away the most common generator. They are the quietest by far and I'm yet to come across anyone who has not been happy.

We are heading off again for 4 to 5 months in a couple of weeks. Generator is now the least of my worries.

That's my experience. Hope it helps in some way with your decision.

Norm C

AnswerID: 290272

Follow Up By: wazzaaaa - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 20:43

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 20:43
Hi,
I'm on my 3rd Honda now but would like to try the yamaha.
As I use mine at the beach mainly I don't seem to get much life out of them, but anything you take to the beach doesn't seem to last. I had problems with my 1kva, as they have an alloy bore carbon had scored it even though l had done all the proper services. After some arguing with Honda they eventually paid half the repair bill,one year later problems again so I traded it in on the eu20i. That was Jan 2006, Jan 2007 it got rained on briefly in a storm but kept on working fine, in June inverter stopped working properly from corrosion $1400 repair bill (not covered under warranty) claimed on insurance and they bought me a new one. This time I have sprayed Liquid Lanolin everywhere inside it and also bought a Sendec hour counter to help with service timing I'm hoping this one will last a bit longer.
I would like to mention what a great experience I had with "The Generator Place" that is where I bought both the eu20i generators. When I told them about $1400 bill to fix my 17 month old Genny they offered to sell me a replacement for $1750 and I also got $200 cash back on that. It was not their fault in any way that the first one had corrosion but they looked after me on price and I was happy and even happier when the insurance company reimbursed me

Wazzaaaaaa
FollowupID: 555623

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 18:38

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 18:38
A few of us here have the blue Yamaha versions of inverter gennies - made in Japan - exactly the same specs as the more common Honda - usually a few hundred to be saved (maybe more on the bigger ones) and it appears no less quality or expected lifespan. I got my EF1000iS around caravan show time - specials are quite keen then in most brands - even if the retailer is not at the show, they have specials anyway - whatever - discount promos in any respected brand are the target of course.
AnswerID: 290273

Reply By: 80seriescruiser - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:30

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:30
Dude I know went out on the Oodnadatta Track, up to Birdie and beyond and had a cheap Suyama or something generator.

Bought it brand spankers before he left. I think about $600 it cost. He hadn't used it for the couple of weeks it took to get to Birdie and it was lashed into the back of the 4wd.

By the time he got to Birdie and unlashed it, there was a rattle inside the generator. Pulls it apart to see what's what and several parts had come loose and broken off inside the generator.

Some parts had just worked loose, others had broken off.

Never used it and it was already junk, unuseable.

You get what you pay for I guess. If you have the $, stick with Honda or Yamaha, or even the Engels which are just the Honda's with an Engel badge on em.
AnswerID: 290297

Reply By: Member - Wilgadene (Bundaberg) - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:57

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 21:57
Hi, Derek try this site. They have got the engel 2.0kw (honda motor) for $1195 plus $25 freight anywhere in australia.

www.olbis.com.au/ap_template/subcat_generators.asp

also Discount camping has the Yamaha 2.4kw for $1799 plus $30 freight. (quite a large size but runs most things including aircon).

www.discountcamping.com.au

They also have the Engel 2.0kw but a bit dearer at $1299

AnswerID: 290307

Follow Up By: Big Nick - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:12

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:12
Hi Wilgadene
My SIL was looking for a gennie and decided Hondas were too pricey she found a 2.4 Yamaha for $1799 but if you go for the 2.8 it doesn't have the flash plastic cover but is $150 dollars cheaper and has a very much larger fuel tank . Worth a thought if you have the room.
FollowupID: 556092

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 01:52

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 01:52
Derek,
Have you considered looking at Solar power ??

Have you been told you can use Generators in all National Parks now??

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 290328

Reply By: Waza & Wend - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:50

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:50
Hi Derek,

I guess it is the old saying, you get what you pay for. We are about to head off for a 4 month trip and after a fair bit of searching, and for peace of mind, have decided to get a Honda.
That said, shopping around can help as I found a place here in Perth that has the E20i for $1890, and the guy told me to wait till next Tuesday and Honda are doing a $200 cash back offer.

Cheers

AnswerID: 290341

Follow Up By: Featherfoot - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:10

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:10
Hi Waza,

I live in Perth and in the market for a Honda 2 kva and was wondering who you got that price from.

Cheers

gary
FollowupID: 555954

Follow Up By: Waza & Wend - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 18:52

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 18:52
Gary,

I got the price from Hempfields in Welshpool.

www.hempfieldsmallmotors.com.au

Cheers
FollowupID: 555992

Follow Up By: Featherfoot - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 19:10

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 19:10
Thanks for that Waza.

I'll go in and see them Tues.

Cheers

Gary
FollowupID: 555997

Follow Up By: Featherfoot - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 13:59

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 13:59
G'day Wazza

I rang hempfields today and the best they would do for me was $1980 so I rang prestige Honda around the corner from me and they said $1970 so price is very similar, pluss $200 back from Honda makes it $1770 was happy with that so lashed out and bought one.Won't be game to ask at the caravan show comming soon what they have them for might be sorry I jumped in already lol

Regards Gary
FollowupID: 556143

Follow Up By: Waza & Wend - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 00:28

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 00:28
Gary,

Good work. Let me know how it goes.

Waza
FollowupID: 556487

Sponsored Links