Garmin GPS permanent mount

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:21
ThreadID: 5510 Views:2062 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to remove a Garmin GPS mounting bracket from the dashboard of a 100 LC which has been stuck on using the "permanent" adhesive pad. Garmin distributor in Brisbane has no idea. One of their retail shops suggested using something which doesn't have a sharp blade, such as a putty knife , rather than something sharp like a kitchen knife, to cut through the adhesive pad while pulling up on the bracket to expose the adhesive pad. Once I have the bracket off, I reckon the adhesive will clean off with methylated spirits. But somebody out there must have done it already.

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 20:51
Simon,

I didn't use the adhesive pad that came with my mount - used commercial two-sided tape on a roll (from Hardware Store) instaed - and I don't know if they are different in stick-ability!

However, I just pried the base off using gentle force and a paint scraper. Just concentrate on not wrecking your car - you wont be able to wreck the base. Then, as you say, the adhesive pad that remains can be worried off with metho.

Hope all goes well.Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 22821

Reply By: Magic - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003 at 21:01
I removed garmin mounting braked from the dashboard with guitar string you can use any thin wire just put the wire between braked and the dashboard and move the wire from side to side with little force, all the glue removed with methylated spirit no damage to dashboard.
AnswerID: 22822

Reply By: Member - Lex - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 08:08

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 08:08
Try heating with a blow dryer[make sure your wife is not home first].The heat should soften the adhaesive enough to use any of the above methods to prise it off.
AnswerID: 22850

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:53

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:53
Some good ideas raised but use eucalyptus oil to get rid of the glue as it dissolves the adhesive far better than metho. Used it on dashboards before and never had a problem plus you won't get a cold either!We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 22872

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 13:36

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 13:36
Had to do this recently. I prised the edge up carefully with a knife and found the whole thing then lifted off with moderate pressure. Cleaned up with White Spirits (have found does a better job than metho).
Cheers,
Mike.
AnswerID: 22884

Sponsored Links