Can a canvas tent be cleaned ?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:03
ThreadID: 55105 Views:3883 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Trying to salvage my Tanami canvas tent after a flood.

I put it up yesterday and had the typical musty smell , but also stained badly . I tried scrubbing with a broom and also the gerny . I have now soaked it in soapy water overnight and will try the gerny once more.

Has anyone had this issue before ? or is it a bin job and time for a new one ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:05

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:05
Eric,

Have a read of this thread from about 6 weeks ago

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 290368

Reply By: RalfR - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 15:24

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 15:24
Rock Crawler

Use one kilo of salt per bucket of water and soak overnight. hang to dry. Once it dries, a salt crust forms on the fabric. Brush it off.

Worth a shot.

AnswerID: 290594

Follow Up By: trainslux - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 18:33

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 18:33
What Rock Crawler said.

Our neighbours used bleach, well that ruined the canvas, and the mould stains are still on their awnings.

Ive either used a stiff nylon brush, and dry brushed it, or added a high content of saline solution, and brushed it off.

Some canvas suppliers will sell you canvas wash too, but its pricey.

Trains
FollowupID: 555984

Reply By: RalfR - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:34

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:34
I probably need to follow up on initial my response. There is a lady called Shannon Lush who has a background in Fine Art Restoration

www.shannonlush.com

who is a guru of chemaical applications and cleaning, particularly related to domestic cleaning. She has a number of books in ABC shops. Whilst I haven't tried this salt application myself (no need to), there are some folks who treat her advice as being reasonably close to the gospel. She often pops up on talkback radio. Is Australian (not sure whihc state?).

It's definitely worth a try, at least before attempting something irreversable like bleach.

Just my two cents work. I recall that one of cleaning solutions required a significant quantity of stale concentrated urine but for the life of me I can't recall.

Cheers
AnswerID: 290675

Sponsored Links