on road / off road campers???

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 20:02
ThreadID: 55124 Views:4001 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Looking at a Jayco camper.
Can someone tell me the build differences between a on road and off road model.

Is the frame the same? or just suspension?

They look very similar apart from ride height.

ta in advance - GC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 00:03

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 00:03
The chassis is heavier, the axle is heavier, the tyres are bigger, the tow hitch is heavier the rest is unchanged
AnswerID: 290510

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:32

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:32
According to Jayco's current brochure, the Jayco Outback Range has the following features:

ALKO outback leaf springs
Double step
Shock absorbers with guards
Jerry Can Holder on "A" frame
15 x 7 aloy wheels with 235/75R15 tyres
150mm x 50mm RHS main chassis members
125mm x 50mm RHS "A" frame
longer ALKO corner stays
Underslung axle (improved ground clearance)
Bumper Bar
ALKO off-road electric brake magnets
Aluminium checker plate finish on sides
12v internal power point
Moulded wheel arch surrounds
Jayco mud flaps

OPTIONS available being:
16" wheels (265/70R16 or 235/70R16) max size 780mm (d) x 275mm (w)
Shockproof swivel coupling

NOTES
Overall length including bumper bar & spare wheel increased by 155mm
Overall height increased by 250mm
AnswerID: 290536

Reply By: mfewster - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:25

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:25
In my opinion, having looked at Jayco Off roads, they are only suitable for relatively light off road work. I don't think the frame/bodywork etc is strong enough for heavy/sustained corrugations, rock crawling etc. I wouldn't want to tow that lightweight panelling anywhere where I was likely to get scraped by branches/scrub either.
AnswerID: 290555

Follow Up By: Doggy Tease - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:48
Do not undersetimate the power of the Jayco my friend.......they are alot more off-road than you imagine.
Ours,,,a Dove,,, has been more than happy to trundle along behind the Patrol to some out of the way places and come back unscathed.
It is as with all things towed,,,a simple matter of tyre pressures,,,speed reduction,,,,driver attitude and care of wheel placement that will determine how far off-road a Jayco/Coromal/Goldstream/any other brand of camper trailer that you may wish to mention,,,will go.
If you are an idiotic speed demon,be prepared to pay big time to get the thing recovered,,,use common scence and you generally will have little if any problems.
This all must take into account that they are wider than the tow vehicle amongst many things,,,,the most important of which is that no matter what type of trailer you own,,there are limitations to where it will go. It is up to the individual owner to determine his/her skill level and competentcies as to where or not a trailer is suitable for the terrain they are intending to travel.
After all that,,,we never had a problem with our
Dove,,just slowed down and enjoyed the scenery as the camper trundled along behind us.

meow.

rick.
FollowupID: 555968

Reply By: GC04 - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:49

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 21:49
thanks folks.

I guess you could understand for the uneducated (me!) they all look pretty much they same.

GC
AnswerID: 290677

Reply By: Member - Thomo - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:13
The first question that needs to be asked is the definition of "off road". I have the luxury of owning a caravan and a hardtop camper trailer and i can tell you from experience over many years my friend caravans are only good for sealed roads and your normal dirt roads. If you are planning to do the serious off road trekking thru. the real outback of this great country with it's hundred and hundreds of Km of corrugations, sand dunes and crossings, you should consider very carefully how they construct a caravan (so called off road with the beefed up suspensions ) and then take a look at the Off Road campers like, Kimberly, Campermatic, Pioneer to name just a few. You can go as slow and as careful as you like but you will eventually find caravans (beefed up or not) eventually fall to bits in these conditions as they are simply not designed for these conditions. Just take a look at the market and the number of campers sold each year and it ain't because they are cheap.
"I suggest you get a copy of the publication by Collyn Rivers called The Camper Trailer Book" and do your homework caravan Vs Camper. I will be a very expensive decision if you get it wrong.

Apologies if I have offended the Jayco faithfuls out there
AnswerID: 291038

Sponsored Links