2.5kg Lemair washing machine issue

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 23:27
ThreadID: 55127 Views:6753 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we are after a cure for our 2.5kg Lemiar washing machine continually syphoning the water while filling. We have raised the drainage hose, levelled the machine perfectly, with little improvement. Any advice???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 23:53

Sunday, Mar 02, 2008 at 23:53
Hi yakodi
I did all what you have done, but still problematic. Latest fix was to install a relief valve that fits top of raised drainage hose - got a valve (U shaped from boat shop). They have a one way valve at top that lets air in to stop syphon action. The valves are designed for marine toilets - they have three sizes, Large, Medium and Small. That latter fits the Lemiar hoses. It cost me about $45 and took about 10 minutes to install - will try it out this week at Maroochydore.
Lots a luck
TD
AnswerID: 290509

Reply By: yakodi - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 00:05

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 00:05
Thanks for your advice, sounds like it could work - let us know how it goes. Not too many boat shops in Alice Springs.....
AnswerID: 290511

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:09

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:09
Many washing machines have the drainpump running continually and start the water emptying by opening a valve.

There could be something stuck in this valve or the rubbers could be damaged. If the valve shuts properly then it can't siphon.

To test if it's siphoning or a leaky valve, fill the machine and run it until it starts to pump out water, then switch the power off. If water keeps on flowing, it's siphoning.
AnswerID: 290531

Reply By: 2grumpy - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 10:30

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 10:30
Hi Yakodi,
We have had the same problem, it took a while to solve it. You must have your drain hose at about 1.2m off the ground, as per instructions in your manual. Next drain your hose into a larger diameter drain hose to drain away your water. If there is a solid join where you join a drain hose to to your washing machine hose it will most likely siphon the water out of the machine as it fills with water as you know. By draining the hose into a larger one, air is getting into the join and it will not siphon the water out of your machine.
I hope you can follow this, I'm not too good at explaining what I'm trying to get across.
AnswerID: 290545

Reply By: hazo - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 13:06

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 13:06
You must have what is called an "air break" to stop the syphoning.
The hose must be higher as stated and a simple method I was shown for zero cost is just drill a smaell hole in the top of the hose, just past the "u" bend, and install a drinking straw into the hose and down into the outgoing flow section, leaving the straw about 25mm sticking out.
It doesn't leak and problem solved.
The other way is to install a small length af 25mm white re-tic pipe on side wall with a 25mm coupling on end, and a hose connector on other end then just hang hose "u" bend into it.
The small difference in pipe sizes allows the air to enter and stops the syphon action again.

Brian
AnswerID: 290575

Sponsored Links