Electric Brakes and ABS

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:24
ThreadID: 55162 Views:1966 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Have done a quick search on this and found nothing specific.
A friend was driving his mates near new Nissan Navarra STX and towing his camper in the wet. Unfortunately he rear ended another vehicle when the brakes locked up and just slid down the road, he was travelling slowly at the time due to the weather and in built area. The trailer is fitted with electric brakes that were working at the time, I do not know the make or type only that it was not a professional instalation. My friend the driver is an very experienced driver and he is sure the ABS did not work. My question is can electric brakes interfere with the ABS system, I am also interested as I have recently had electric brakes fitted to my STX for towing the new Venture Fifth Wheeler.

Thanks in advance
Rocky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:39

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:39
They should not interfer, if there was a fault the ABS light on the dash would come on.

He can get it checked by pluging in a scan tool and seeing if there is any fault codes logged.

The only sure way of knowing if ABS is working is try it.

Chances are the ABS was working but the trailer brakes locked up and the vehicle tyres could not get enough grip with out locking up.

All trailer break controllers are wired upstrean of the ABS and the ABS systen electrics is seperate the the braking system electrics.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 290710

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:27

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:27
I would hazard the guess that the trailer brakes locked up as they would with a hard application of the pedal. This would have the effect of the trailer adding to the weight pushing the combo ahead. The ABS would be trying not to let the car's wheels lock, but because of the wet road, unrestrained trailer weight adding to the effort required to stop, would increase stopping distances substantially. In the wash up, not enough stopping distance allowed for the conditions.
AnswerID: 290720

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:53

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:53
Rocky.. you said the brakes locked up and he slid down the hill...was this the trailer brakes or the vehicle or both that locked up.

I would expect the vehicle barakes to only lock if the ABS was disabled and it would show a dash warning light if so. The trailer could lock up if the elec controller was set too high.

Is the driver certain he engaged the pedal hard enough to get the ABS to initiate?

This is a perfect scenario as to when ABS would prevent an accident over a non-ABS vehicle so apart from a total brain-fart...like not engaging the pedal hard enough.... then it comes down to physics....mass and speed greater than co-efficient of friction(no matter how good your ABS is) = collision

Sorry

Matt.
AnswerID: 290763

Reply By: Paul G K (vic) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:13

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:13
Rocky

On some cars the ABS do not work when travelling under a certain speed.

Paul
AnswerID: 290772

Reply By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:21

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:21
Is it possible for you to find out if the red wire from the brake controller is connected under the dash to the brake light switch?
AnswerID: 290775

Follow Up By: Member - eerfree(QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:37

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 22:37
Dunaruna
This is not a professional installation so I think you are on the money!!!

eerfree
FollowupID: 556242

Sponsored Links