Permits required for Innamincka

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 14:43
ThreadID: 55173 Views:4345 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have been doing my homework about what permits are needed for the July gathering.
To drive from Brisbane to Innamincka - no permit.
To camp on Town Common - no permit.
To travel in Innamincka Regional Reserve - Permit.
To visit Coongie lakes - permit.

You can buy a one day permit at the Innamincka Trading Post for $7.50.
Looks to me like 3 or 4 of them might be the best way to go if not visiting anywhere else in SA.

The Desert Parks pass is going up to $105 on April 1st - a lot of money for 5 days.

If any of this is wrong please let me know.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:09

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:09
Don't ask Willem- He's not a 'permits person"....

AnswerID: 290754

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:17

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:17
I went to Fraser Island many times for a lot of years and religiously bought the permit to traverse and the permit to camp and never had to produce them. The one time I decided not to bother and guess what, on the beach outside Eurong there was a road block. Driver's side, Mr Plod, blow in here, Passenger's side, Rodney, show us your permit. Passed the breathalyser, failed the permit. LOL.
AnswerID: 290757

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:37

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 15:37
Had a similar experience-
Camped about 20km West of Vokes Hill Corner, a squillion miles from anywhere, enjoying a morning cuppa- along came Mr Ranger (on 'camel elimination' patrol)..invited him for a brew, and he asked for our permits.
With pleasure we showed them, and he was appreciative.
If traffic lights are Red- I stop...If permits are required I obtain them.

FollowupID: 556173

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 16:42

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 16:42
I think you have this a little bit wrong.
You can travel through the Innamincka Reserve without a permit, but can not stop of camp.
We have had our SA permit for the last 3 years and have never been asked by anyone. BUT< if I didn't have it a ranger would appeare out of the back of my truck & ask.
AnswerID: 290767

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:05

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 17:05
Hi Vince,

Extracted from the Parks SA website:

"Park Vehicle Entry: per vehicle $7.50

Camping prices are for one night only.
Campers are also required to pay a once only park entry fee where applicable.


Cullyamurra Waterhole $15.00
Kings Marker $15.00
Minkie $15.00
Policemans $15.00
Ski Beach $15.00
Wills Memorial $15.00

The parks people on the phone said I would need the entry permit too. They suggested buying a daily one as needed from the Trading Post.

If you can confirm what you are saying, it would be valuable information for the July gathering, I don't want to buy a permit I don't need, that is for sure.

FollowupID: 556189

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:06

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:06
You can travel in and out of Innamincka and camp on the town common and no permit is required.
Camping on the town common is on an honour system, put your money in the tin.
If you wish to visit the 'sights' then you require a permit.
AnswerID: 290816

Reply By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:08

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:08
I must be an acception. I refuse to purchase permits to travel and camp in my own country. I am happy to pay a "camping fee" as there are mostly toilets available but to travel thru any land I refuse to pay for a permit. Why should I pay to travel thru land that belongs to all Australians. If a service like toilets are there and I do camp I am happy to pay a "Camping Fee" as I have said.
I travelled and camped arouind Innamincka about 3 years ago and never saw a ranger or the like. I did not get a permit either and NEVER will in the future.
That's how it is for me.
The Bigfella
AnswerID: 290817

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:40

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:40
FollowupID: 556281

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:21

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:21

We were up there a few years back camped by a bit of water off the Coongie track. Having a quiet time, bit of a chat and a few beers. Next thing we know there's a Nissan coming at us with a bit of speed under the belt.

Mate an I looked at each other, and collectively thought this fella was going to ram the camp site. The shirlas took off.

The car came to a stop and two belligerent Rangers got out demanded to see our permits. I suggested they inspect our windscreens.

However, that wasn't the end of it. They wanted to know if we had a generator. Yes I said, but we're east of the exclusion zone.

This didn't seem to matter, they wanted to see it, and ran their hands over it to detect any heat. We were then hassled about all manner of things.

I'm pretty much an easy going fella, but starting to get annoyed with all the crap. All of a sudden my mate lost it, and told them, in no uncertain terms to f.... off.

I don't mind paying for a permit, but we're not going to put up with this sort of attitude.



AnswerID: 290821

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:29

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 23:29
I buy my annual Desert Parks Pass and don't fret about needing a permit here or there. Invariably I go somewhere in the desert regions to justify the annual cost.

I seldom see a ranger but came across some in the Territory last year while accessing a closed track. I feigned innocence and did explain that there was no sign up(there wasn't) and after an amiable chat I was waved along my way.

Contrary to what Signman states I do obtain permits and am at this very moment in negotiations with a Land Council for access to a remote area. However, I disagree with the system :-) and have run foul of 'authorities' from time to time

Mikee5...Interesting about your 'Alot of money to spend for 5 days' I take it that you would willingly spend that eating out at a restaurant?

AnswerID: 290848

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:06
Come on

we all know that your real name is Clark Kent of the 4WD people's... :-)

People read too much into what we say,, (sorry I meat you say).. LOL


FollowupID: 556266

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:22

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:22
Hi Willem,

$105 for a couple of laps around the block is a lot. If I could use the pass more during the year it would be better value but as this is a once off trip this year it doesn't add up. And no I would rarely spend that much in a restaurant, I am a fish and chips in the park type of bloke. All I am trying to do is make what little money the government lets me keep go as far as I can.
FollowupID: 556289

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 11:30

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 11:30
By the looks of your rig pick the govt lets you keep enough I'd say ;-))
FollowupID: 556305

Sponsored Links