Portable solar

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 19:52
ThreadID: 55184 Views:3762 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to buy a 80w portable solar panal with reg to help the 80w panel on the family van charge the 2x 120 amp batteries and then when im swaging it on my own it can top up the 105 amp blue apple thumper pack that stays in the ute hooked up to the 80 ltr waeco and a light. im very green on this subject there seems so many types (uni, kycera , crystal, ) so any advice on a which brand is good value would be great. Are there any i should keep cleer of Thanking you all Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 19:57

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 19:57
This subject has literally been discussed alot on this forum so you will find a wealth of information if you do a search through the archives under 'solar'. Cheers.
AnswerID: 290805

Reply By: blue one - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:27

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:27
G'Day Balko,
I reckon that an 80w + 80w + two times 120 amp batteries have good bones for a reliable power supply.

The constant theme with this issue is to talk to the experts; ie 12 volt shop, ABR (Derek) etc as their experience is invaluable.

You will get some wonderful replies from the forum which most will be very helpful, use what you can!

So with the information you have gleaned from all responses you should be able to construct a system that works for you.

Cheers

Personally,
You should be able to run two fridges and a moderate amount of lighting off what you have.
AnswerID: 290807

Follow Up By: blue one - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:30

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:30
Balko,
Unisolar don't break like glass ones do.

LOL
FollowupID: 556212

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:59
Yes, you can even walk on a Unisolar panel with-out breaking it !!

However, if you buy a Unisolar panel to recharge a battery, instead of using it to walk on, you won't be getting one of the best performing panel available.

Some interesting Solar panel *performance* numbers

64 Watt Unisolar panel
3.8 Amp (sq mtr)

62 Watt Sharp panel
12.2 Amp (sq mtr)

Even a 60 Watt Suntech panel will put out in excess of 5.5 Amps (sq mtr)

Unfortunately, you can't walk on the Sharp or Sunteck Solar panel, but they will recharge a battery a hell of a lot faster, and some people actually find that usefull, they put the Solar panel on the vehicle roof and don't use them to walk on :-))

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 556284

Follow Up By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:36

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:36
Suntech is more efficient than Sharp according to US DOE tests published January. Suntech silicone finger technology raised panel efficiency 2%.
You can walk on Suntech 85w panel with no fear.
I have Suntech and my twin brother has Sharp identical installation same reggie and Suntech pump out more power same conditions parked next to each other.
Ordered new van yesterday and getting 3 Suntech 85w fitted. With high Aussie $ price for 85w down to $595. Will have 2 85 on vehicle for 30l Waeco as freezer and 3 85w on van.
FollowupID: 556364

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:47

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:47
Paul
please supply the link you are using for your reference !!

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 556367

Follow Up By: blue one - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:34

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:34
Maingy,
You are a seriously unstable pest. The last thing I heard from you was that you wanted me to smash your glass panel!! Fool.

Get some professional help, double the dose and get a life as your opinion counts for little, other than you have a serious short man's complex.

$#@$$T^wit

FollowupID: 556415

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:04

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:04
Paul,
You posted:->
""Suntech is more efficient than Sharp according to US DOE tests published January.
You can walk on Suntech 85w panel with no fear""

Still waiting for the link to the 'US DOE' test you mention !!
Any further relevant information as to "us doe" is most welcome.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 557640

Reply By: Tim Owen - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:50

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 20:50
My suggestion is consider the physical dimensions including weight of the various alternatives. There is quite a bit of variation. If you are after portable - meaning getting it in and out of storage, the easier they are to handle the better.

I had in the past (it got nicked) a Sunpower SPR-90 (90W) which was a baby compared to the Uni-Solar 62T (62W) panels I just bought. It was much smaller, and lighter. Much easier to handle. But in my case I needed thin and the width/breadth of the Uni-Solar 62W suited my needs regarding mounting. Horses for courses.

I can't comment on the alternatives, as I've not owned them, but I was impressed with the build quality of the sunpower panel.

Tim
AnswerID: 290813

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:57

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 at 21:57
Yes, SUNPOWER is one of the best performance Solar panels available, hence their very, very small physical size for the much larger power capacity.
(they possibly have the SMALLEST physical size per Amp capacity)

There are many manufacturers of Solar panels, some are just copiers of quality made products and made in China to cut production costs and use thinner frames and lesser quality components than the original product does.

However the TOTAL performance, not only the MAX output is important, as some won't get to full performance till the sun is shining right on the panel.
Some better quality and higher performance panels will work at very early hours in the morning and still be working at late afternoon, giving more total Amps produced in a day than the cheaper panels.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 556230

Reply By: Member - Frank (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:29

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:29
You might also want to check out http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/

They have a lot of good information about Solar Power and batteries on that site and are very well known on the solar panel subject for the purposes of powering fridges.

I don't work for them or anything, just had great service from them and was impressed with the knoweledge and experience and good advice I have received.
AnswerID: 290856

Sponsored Links