3Ltr Diesels

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 11:44
ThreadID: 55195 Views:2483 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I’m trying to finalise research prior ordering a replacement tow vehicle and new van. As a consequence I would welcome information with regards the following.

Has anyone out there any reasonably accurate fuel consumption figures from recent model 3Ltr common rail turbo diesels? Naturally I’m interested in trip/touring consumption figures. Was the terrain flat/hilly etc? What vehicle?

I anticipate the van I intend to purchase will finish with an all up weight of about 2100Kg. It will be a full height van, probably with a six inch lift. Is there anyone out there with consumption figures on a somewhat similar rig?

I would also welcome input as to the pros and cons of manual versus auto. I tend to manual myself in the belief that there is less to go wrong, a tendency to cooler running in high temp climatic and/or mountainous areas. Christine of course prefers auto even though she drove manuals for years. Needless to say she has never driven the current Bravo whilst towing our somewhat heavy tent trailer.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:09

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:09
Ian
I have towed about 2200kg with the latest hilux diesel manual and have found it to be a very good unit indeed. The fuel consumption with the trailer was about 15/18l/100 and without about 9l/100.
I did about 10000km and under different conditions from Maralinga, Port Lincoln, Leigh Creek, Broken Hill, Dubbo, Coffs Harbour and all the way to Townsville. The only time I noticed the weight was over the Blue Mountains and Mooni-Mooni hills. It will sit on the legal speed limit easily if necessary with this weight.
It is the same engine in the new Prado. My choice for towing would be the auto as I have an auto Nissan 3L Patrol but as I have not towed with it I have no figure except what I get on a trip 12L/100.
Hope this helps.
Graeme
AnswerID: 290913

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:13

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:13
Thanks Graham.

Ian
FollowupID: 556334

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:00

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:00
Hi Ian

We have successfully towed with an auto 3 litre Patrol. The limiting factor is the towing specifications of a maximum 2.5 tonne for auto. Engine is the same as the manual, but the braking capacity of the auto is the issue i believe. It towed a heavy caravan very well, but the gears did limit us a couple of times on a standing start up a very steep incline. Legalities were the reason we changed, as with a tare of 2.2 tonne, fill the water tanks and we are up to the limit, without packing anything. No good packing for the big lap.

It is not just the weight of the laden caravan, but there is also a gross limit specified for each vehicle, and put a family and their gear in the wagon, load up the caravan, and all together you have quite a weight which may be above the species for what ever tow vehicle you consider.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 556338

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:11

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:11
Thanks Motherhen,

Yep! combined mass is something I'm keeping in mind.

I also prefer the better engine braking effect from a manual.

Ian
FollowupID: 556339

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:44

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:44
Hi Ian

The braking wasn't an issue for us, as we have electric caravan brakes (they will pull you up faster than car brakes), but we used the lower gears in the auto as well. In a worst case scenario, coming down a mountain and electric brake cable fails, the auto may be struggling to assist with a very heavy load. I think this is why they have such a low specified carrying capacity.

If you have a manual, and have a good safety margin below the specified weights, you should be happy with the 3 litre vehicles. They may have a shorter engine life if heavy towing most of the time compared with a bug V8 that barely notices the load, but even this is speculation.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 556366

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:06
Have towed with the Patrol and Prado and both gave about the same consumption worst was 5k's to the lt and best was 7.5 to the lt on both vehicles pulling a 1.5 tonne van, they both performed well and both did good on consumption,
regards,
Dave
AnswerID: 290950

Reply By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:42

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:42
Works trailers spot on 2T towed with Mitsi Triton 3.2 average 14L per 100km. Power of the Triton up hills and ability to tow in 5th gear magic. Thankfully we are now allocated vehicles and no longer have to put up with Hilux or Navara. Navara all going next 2 weeks as dont comply to OHS and kill to many people.
AnswerID: 290961

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:10

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 19:10
Hi Paul - sounds like you have some experience with the Navara's. Could you explain a bit more please, re the OHS and deaths, as a mate has one (Diesel 2.5) and tows a 1.5t van.
thanks........................Keith
FollowupID: 556376

Reply By: Avan - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:26

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:26
Have towed a 1.2 tonne van with a diesel auto Prado 2005 and comsumption is about 19 mpg. Without a van about 24mpg.
AnswerID: 291044

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 07:56

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 07:56
Thanks to all for your contributions.

Ian
AnswerID: 291082

Reply By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:49

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:49
G'day Ian,

One aspect not mentioned in the above replies is clutch frailty in these vehicles.

We spent several months last year towing a CT through FN & Outback QLD with our new hilux. Being an extracab model, there was no alternative to a manual offered.

With the vehicle moderately loaded and the CT around 1000Kg, we were unable to do a standing start on steep hills without engaging low range. Even moderate hills caused the clutch to smoke and stink out the cabin.

Our hilux was one of the first of the current models and our Toyota dealer agreed to change the clutch at 65K. I have not had a chance to test it under towing conditions yet, but I suspect there will be little difference, although I believe they have change the friction compound.

From threads on this and other sites, I see Toyota is not the only one with this problem. The new generation intercooled, common rail turbo diesels appear to have outpaced the clutches in development.

If it is available in the next model I choose, I will be going auto.

Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 291122

Reply By: Bill13 - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:42

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:42
Hi Ian,
I currently tow a 2300kg RoadStar Trakvan with a Pajero DiD. I have had a fair bit to do with 4 WD's, having been driving them every day in hard conditions for the past 25 years in the mining industry. The Pajero is a underestimated tug and people who tow with them all give them big raps. They are great on power and give good fuel economy. Have a serious look at them before you buy anything else. The 5 speed auto is a great draw card in itself.What other car company offers a 10 year guarantee to the original owner???
AnswerID: 291239

Follow Up By: kahziem - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:42

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:42
Listen to this man he knows what hes talking about. Forget the manual trans as this will prove to be the weak link. Nissans, toyotas and mitsubishis have some of the best auto trans you can get.I have had extensive experiance with nissan, mitsubishi and a little with toyota, and I can tel you that in 20 years of patrols I have maybe replaced a handfull of auto trans, whereas manual gearboxes I have lost count of how many hundreds of fifthgears I have personally replaced. The Pajero I believe is a towing machine, you wont even know its there(the van), these things are the ultimate in 4wd, I have given these things the hardest of times in the north west of wa and they have never let me down, ever (I recently towed my racecar from victoria back to perth and honestly you would not even know its there.Its also hard to go past a 100 series turbo diesel auto, a very nice car.Pajero is the way to go. It S*#TS on all else.
FollowupID: 556688

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 08:34

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 08:34
Thanks again to all who have taken to trouble to reply. Lots there to sift.

Ian
AnswerID: 291343

Reply By: blown4by - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 23:54

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 23:54
Unable to comment on fuel economy towing heavier loads. I too wanted a manual but "wanting a quieter life" also, I went auto and am glad I did because of two main reasons: Presumably when not towing the van you will want to do some exploring in the 4x4 and the auto can change gears "on the fly" in deep sand, mud, etc which the manual cannot. Secondly with a turbo you dont get any boost until the engine spins up to 1500 to 2000 RPM. With the auto you just put the foot down and the auto allows the engine to spin straight up to match how far you put the pedal toward the metal. In a manual you have to wait until the road speed increases enough to allow the revs to build up giving you some turbo boost. In effect the manual is a bit gutless off the mark and not that you will be "dragging off" HSV's at the lights but the turbo lag delay in a manual can be a bit of a worry if accidentally pull out into traffic and the guy heading towards you is travelling a bit faster than you estimated before pulling out. I havent found the engine braking to be an issue when descending steep inclines in 1st gear (held) in low range and I havent had to descend any hills front first while the transmission is in reverse yet:-) I believe the Patrol 4-speed auto is built very tough despite many knockers on here going on about its shift quality and lack of "tiptronic" ability and ageing design. Sorry but I am a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and other bawdy variations of that adage and the vehicle is in effect a light commercial vehicle in size so I don't expect the smoothness of a "pretend" 4x4. There are othe minorr benefits as well such as being able to concentrate fully on the road and easier hill starts including in reverse while towing (or would that be "pushing")
AnswerID: 291510

Sponsored Links