Kulumburu with Bushtracker !

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:44
ThreadID: 55201 Views:4369 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are presently planning a "big trip" to the "Northern Island" and seek guidance on the road to Kulumburu from the Gibb River Road.

Does any member have comments on the suitability of this road to take us to Kulumburu in June/July? Will be towing a 20' Bushtracker with LC 100TD.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated along with any fishing tips!

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:56

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:56
Peter

I'd be surprised if Member Motherhen hasn't been that way with her Bushtracker. You could send her a MM.

Probably stating the obvious, but you could also contact BT owners group forum.

good luck JD
AnswerID: 290897

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:00

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 15:00
Hi JD - No not yet, as we are planning to go to the Kimberley this winter. I had considered this would not be a caravan road, but welcome the experiences of others here.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 556331

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:45

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:45
Hi Motherhen,

Not a BT owner yet but not far away!Well I pondered that question when selecting a BT and I would contemplate such a trip in a BT after our trip there in 2005. Careful does it would be the go. As far as the fishing goes how about these,

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Kind regards
FollowupID: 556343

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:36

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 18:36
Hi Beatit

Looks like Peter can take the BT AND catch some big mainland fish.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556363

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:58

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 13:58
Hi Peter S, We were on that road last August, the weather was lovely but the road not good, IMO there is no way I would be taking anything that size up there if you want it to remain in one piece. Then again they might grade the road just before you get there then you would be laughing.

Having said that I am not familiar with Bushtrachers but some-one else will probably be able to help you with that.

Perhaps for that part of your trip you could leave your Bushtracker in a safe place and camp up there for the time you wish to stay.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 290898

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:07

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:07
Agree with you D, when we travelled the road as far as the Mitchell Plateau turn-off in 06 the road was disgusting and by all reports the section from the turn-off to the Mission was even worse. That was early June and the grader hadn't started on the road after the rains.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556401

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:00

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:00
Hi Peter

I'm unfamiliar with the Bushtracker, but if it helps we had no troubles towing the 17' boat in the rig pics to Kalumburu, as with the time of year, should be ok, depends whn the rain stops and the work starts!

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 290900

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:05

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:05
Sorry, didn't read the fishing tips, taking a boat?? The bigger the better, it does chop up a bit. guessing a rooftopper towing a van. There are a few inlets etc, and reef fishing around you can get to with a smaller boat. We went out to Pearly Shoals and got nice red emperour and cod, but be prepared to deal with a lot of sharks!
FollowupID: 556322

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:31

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 20:31
Not going to say a thing .....grin
FollowupID: 556412

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 14:06
While up that way in 06 I took a few pics around Drysdale River - see.....
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~darian/drysdale/index.html
There is a pic down the bottom of that page of what is a road surface common to the whole journey north...... (we turned off onto the M Falls road but).....
Bushtracker would suggest I'm sure (amongst many other things they suggest, assiduously, and at length) that driven with due consideration, their van should suffer no ill-effect on such roads !
It may be true. One thing is for sure, even quality shockers find those corrugations a trial.
AnswerID: 290901

Reply By: kym111 - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:53

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 16:53
Hi Peter
My hubby also wants to do that trek, and has been talking with a co-worker who has recently moved down from that region.
Firstly, the advice is you won't get anything bigger than a camper trailer up that way, due to the many crossings etc, although being the dry season, the conditions of the roads themselves should be dry at least. Plenty of corrugations the size of swimming pools
Secondly, don't park the van somewhere to travel in with a tent! By the time you get back, it will be stripped inside and out! Again, this is coming from a local.

This exploroz site has some great information regarding the area, but if you have internet access on the road, you can log onto the Main Roads WA website to get up to date road conditions. www.mainroads.wa.gov.au. On the left hand menu, select Regions, Kimberley, Road Information, then in the main window, Traffic & Road Conditions.
Good luck!
Kym
AnswerID: 290931

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:29

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:29
Travelled the road up to Mitchell Plateau last August. Coming out, passed a Bushtracker camping just in from the main Rd. Whilst you probably wouldn't take a BT into the Mitchell falls because of the narrowness of the track, [the last 5 km] I would think a BT would handle the main Rd to. Isn't that what they're built to do?
AnswerID: 291004

Reply By: Austravel - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:06

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 02:06
Hi,

Was up there late 2006 and saw stacks of vans up there. A number of BT and phoenix but also may others. The smaller vans were being towed by stock standard vehicles and the big BT etc used modified patrols and cruisers. The patrol had significant mods. When coming back I passed the patrol and BT and he was doing it very tough and still recall the van was throwing the patrol around like a tail wagging the dog.

Not sure what the roads are like now but in 06 I though they were pretty ordinary but a couple of locals said they were in the best condition for years. Damn!!!

If you were ok with going nice and slow then I reckon it'd be fine but only if you intended staying for a few months. It's a lot of work and wear and tear to head up for a couple of weeks in a heavy rig.
AnswerID: 291069

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 14:01

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 14:01
Hi Peter

As reported above, people are taking their caravans to Kalumburu, although most say the road is pretty bad, so let the tyres down and take it slowly. Bushtrackers having been going there since 1998. Others take the option of leaving the van at Drysdale River Station, which is a popular stop along the way, to go to both Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu. Anne of Drysdale River is a regular contributor here, particularly giving us up to date road conditions.

We have set up the F250 for camping in the back for trips without the caravan, and last September tried it out going away for 2 weeks. Worked well (except when it rained!).

May see you in the north

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 291595

Sponsored Links