Spotlights

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:39
ThreadID: 55228 Views:1627 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again. I am looking at buying a set of spotlights for my 02 Prado as I have trouble distinguishing low contrast objects at night. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a suitable spotlight? I've told I don't need driving glasses. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:50

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 21:50
Lightforce or Roo Lights (cheaper) will fix your problem...and how :))
AnswerID: 291018

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:16

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:16
Lightforce produce a very white light and are excellent. I would be thinking of bigger lights, 240 blitz for example. If you still have problems after that, then you probably do need glasses!

Barnesy
AnswerID: 291072

Reply By: Zodarp - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:53

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:53
Hi Poppyg2

I too suffer from slight night blindness and was always reluctant to travel at night before I fitted IPF spotlights to my prado. Now its a pleasure to drive at night knowing I can see clearly. It's amazing how far this lights will penetrate the darkness. Only drawback is when the light hits a roadside sign the reflection can be quite bright.

Regards Zodarp
AnswerID: 291074

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:24

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:24
Over the years I've tried various brands, starting with smaller sized Hellas on my Kwaka 900 m'bike many many years ago.

IPF, Cibie and more recently Lightforce 240 Blitz, then XGT. Each time , the lighting was better than before. My latest and current set of lights are the same XGT bodies, which I've modified to take 55w HID kit (with ballast mounted remotely under the bullbar). These things simply blow-away everything else I've ever had before.....there is no other way to describe them.

I would seriously suggest you look into HID lights as a better alternative.....check out the Iron Man range.
AnswerID: 291088

Follow Up By: BMKal - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 15:10

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 15:10
Have to agree strongly with what Roachie has posted. If you have difficulty distinguishing low contrast objects at night, then you need "white" light. All lights with conventional Quartz Halogen globes, no matter what the price or quality, produce "yellow" light. The only lights on the market today that produce a true "white" light are HID's.

When selecting your HID's, it's probably best to stick with the better brands. Light Force do a good product, as does Hella.

It's also possible to convert conventional spotlights to HID by fitting an after-market kit from e-bay or elsewhere. However, if you go down this path, you need to start with a decent light to convert. There's no point fitting HID globes to a light which has crappy reflectors and lenses to start with. Again, I'd suggest Light Force or Hella.

But as Roachie has said - there's nothing else out there that compares with a decent set of HID lights. A good set of HID's will cost you more (possibly quite a lot more), but if you want to do the job properly first time, there is no realistic alternative.
FollowupID: 556771

Reply By: poppyg2 - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 23:54

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 23:54
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a good base to start from and will check all the ranges mentioned and HID. It may save me from having to get glasses.cheers
AnswerID: 291509

Sponsored Links