Ford Territory

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 22:25
ThreadID: 55235 Views:14813 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Don't blow a gasket guys! I know it is not a serious fourby but someone out there must own one and take it OTR. Could I get feedback on fuel consumption, power, ride height, replacement tyres (for gravel), behaviour off road, 4WD performance in mud, gravel, marbles, water, sand etc, impressions of body strength etc.
Before you get sarcastic, I know its a 'fake' but for a general trip with excursions down a gravel/sand track, pulling a medium caravan/camper it should be adequate.
Be kind!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:03

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:03
Image Could Not Be Found

If your Territory is similar to this one not sure about off road!!

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 291059

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:39

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:39
Looks brand new!! and the bonnets up LOL!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 556481

Reply By: Member - keith P (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:45

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 23:45
stick with something that has a chassis i wouldn't be game to tow anything on even gravel in a vehicle such as this. the suspension drive line and all other parts will not handle it. speaking to people who have traveled with this "CAR", i have been told that in mud they slip around so badly that it becomes dangerous. because the center transfer case cannot be locked it is essentially a 1x4. for travels i would use a real 4WD.
Regards
Keith
AnswerID: 291066

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:56

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:56
I currently have a HJ60. Is my centre diff lockable? I don't think so but not that knowledgeable. It doesn't slip around in High Range - but the tyres are good AT's. Went to Mungo after the road was closed by rain (torrents) and was up as soon as it opened and apart from a potential swap ends when I hit a wet sticky patch, the old girl was stable.
FollowupID: 556644

Reply By: traveller2 - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:18

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:18
My BIL bought one to replace a 3l Patrol, couldn't sell it quickly enough after one trip with a small camper trialer on the back. Found it couldn't handle wet forestry roads, was dangerous in slippery conditions as like Keith said the centre diff can't be locked so is essentially one wheel drive.
Also drank fuel like an alcoholic, trip computer regularly was on the wrong side of 40l/100k!!!
AnswerID: 291085

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:23

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:23
Makes you wonder by some of the replies!

Places people have been in 2wd, the territory should be able to go a few places worthwhile, even it not as far as some 4wds with more clearance and heavier duty transmissions.

My observations, not owning one, is that they are limited by ground clearance. Have seen one try the dry tracks on Fraser Is, and was getting hung up on the middle mound and the very soft patches of sand.
One thing I did learn though, is that the 4wd recovery hook is an optional extra well worth while getting. This bloke had got it from Ford, and removed the plastic cover at the front and screwed it in.
I wouldn't try a recovery off the tie down hooks.

As you noted, standard tyres seem to be it's other weak point.
Not sure what fits.
AnswerID: 291086

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:46

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:46
Yeah. Thats what I thought. I have had an XB Ford in some funny places (auto, fat tyres) and it was stopped by clearance.
FollowupID: 556634

Reply By: Spotty - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:28

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:28
I guess I will bite.
I have a Territory and have taken it out to Birdsville etc on all the reasonable dirt and rock tracks. No problem at all except (and it is a decent except) its low height means it does scrape quite a lot.

Fuel economy similar to friends petrol Prado (ie not too good).

Had less tyre problems than the 4wds I I travelled with but a bit of luck I think contrributed. Not many tyre options given its dimensions are available.

I bought mine for outback trips, towing a large boat and for a car the wife likes to drive. For this it has been successful.

Stability on dirt and sand exceptional.

Try http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=85 for more information.

Cheers

Spotty
AnswerID: 291089

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:48

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:48
Interesting about the stability comments. Wonder if it swaps ends because of the tyres? Is there are way to raise it a couple of inches and put some AT tyres on? The play boys get their rigs up a metre or so! Looks like it anyway.
FollowupID: 556638

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:41

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:41
If the Morris Minor club can do picnic runs to Innamincka and Birdsville, you can post queries here about soft roaders ! It's your right under the constitution !
AnswerID: 291121

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:56

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 15:56
A mate bought one, fellow farmer, 40k of dirt road to town, loves
everything about it except that it drinks 30% more syrup than the
V8 Fairlane he traded on it....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 291164

Reply By: Member - Mottleman (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:13

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:13
I have a TD 100 series and have done lots of the "name" tracks in AUS but over Christmas just gone I rented a 4wd territory for 20 days to tour NZ south island.
What a nice car. Powerful, easy to drive, very sure footed on slippery/wet gravel roads.
I had to be careful with wheel placement due to height but not hard to do.... and I would have preferred more A/T style tyres but I was extremely impressed. Fuel consumption was 12-16L/100km...fully loaded with gear and wife and 2 kids.
My sister and husband tow a 15ft caravan with their territory...no problems.
For what its worth.
John
AnswerID: 291168

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:52

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:52
I was thinking that the diesel version should be a winner, if it comes. The torque available with a high range 4WD should take it anywhere, height permitting.
Must be a way to raise it a bit.
FollowupID: 556643

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:37

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:37
A friend has a 60 series and a Turbo Territory.

He's a Ford nut, but reports that the Territory is useless off bitumen and he loves its thirst - not.

The 60 series has a 350 chev, and uses less fuel.

AnswerID: 291302

Reply By: BMKal - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:59

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 14:59
I seriously considered buying one as I do like the look of them and they are bloody confortable. At the time of looking at one, I had a 120 Prado GXL (work car) parked out the front of the dealers.

When I asked the salesman the price of a "mid spec" (not Ghia) Territory AWD, the price he quoted me was virtually the same as that of a new GXL Prado. When I pointed this out to him, he said (there's no way that the Prado even comes into the same class as the Territory". He's right there. For the same dollars, I think that anyone who would buy a Territory in preference to a Prado really doesn't know too much about cars. The Prado will beat the Territory in every conceivable comparison.

And no - I'm not a great Toyota fan - I ended up buying a Discovery.
AnswerID: 291398

Reply By: howcanhegosofast - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 21:33

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 21:33
Hi all, found this very interesting thread by chance, and no other Territory owners have come forward so far... So here's some info :
I have owned an AWD Territory, middle of the range TS, the current model SY with the 6 speed auto since Feb 2006. It has clocked up 89000km with no problems.

Sorry to be a pain to any die-hard 4wd owners out there who think this is a pretend 4wd. Maybe it is, maybe it doesn't have a full chassis or low range. But I have moved across from owning old school 4wd's and won't be going back any time soon ! It is all a matter of looking at what you want to do with the vehicle and knowing the vehicle's limitations and planning accordingly.

Off road - for a start the Ford is great in soft sand, there is plenty of grunt from the DOHC Falcon inline 6. You just need to turn off traction control and use manual mode to use the power. Hop in and drive in sand with the default traction control setting and you won't move, due to the torque reduction to any wheels that are spinning. Turn it off and you get the benefit of the full rev range... Just take the time and effort to drop your pressures.

Muddy tracks seem fine with traction control and stability control left turned on, there is obviously less wheelspin with the electronic assistance on, but you still have the option of turning DSC and traction control off. For example, the new 4wd park just out of Beaudesert has some nasty slippery clay tracks that would test any vehicle. I had much more control in here with traction control left turned on and the vehicle went just fine.

Steep rocky tracks are great going up, a pretty low first gear in the 6 speed auto with plenty of torque, just watch the wheel placement. There are two ways to go here, first you can use the default traction control setting and crawl your way up any very rock or difficult slopes. Or, turn it off and use momentum +/- wheelspin to get up the slope. I prefer to let the electronics do the work. For example, a washed out and rutted track might see a front wheel lift up, the traction control cuts in and you will hear a loud grinding noise from the ABS system. The computer reduces torque to the spinning wheel(s) and applies the brakes to any wheels it needs to, and then the vehicle moves forward...

Take the average joe in the street, they may never use the vehicle off road and probably have not even read the manual. If they went up a steep slippery track in the vehicle with the default traction control setting on and suddenly hear a loud grinding noise, what do they do ? They back off and think there is something wrong with the vehicle. There isn't, you just need to know how the stsme works, and how to make it work for you. On a really hard bit of track it may take 4-5 seconds before the vehicle regains forward momentum once the ABS and traction control system takes over.
Going down steep tracks without 'hill descent control' needs concentration. being a petrol engine it tends to run away so you need to work with the ABS and control the speed properly.

Snow and ice - last winter here in Tassie we had the usual black ice and slush on the roads on the west coast. You get the occasional electronic intervention happening on frosty mornings. At one time I hit a patch of black ice at about 100km/hr on a supposedly frost free straight stretch of road, and before I knew it the stability control had intervened and corrected the vehicle. I don't think I would have been able to correct the drift manually in a 2wd or part time 4wd without stability control, so that has to be a plus.

Fuel consumption usually averages around 11-13.5 l/100km for normal driving, this obviously depends on how you drive.

Servicing is scheduled for every 15000 km according to the Ford service schedule, which seems a bit too long for me. I have been doing intermediate oil and filter changes every 5000km as a bit of a safeguard.

Tyres : at the moment I am running Cooper Discover ATR's in the standard tyre size 235-60R17. The Goodyear Fortera's that the Territory AWD comes with are a bit too road biased for my liking, though very quiet. The Goodyears have way less tread depth when new, so if you are after tyre wear the Cooper must come out on top. I think they are about $10 cheaper per tyre than the factory specced Goodyears. The Coopers look more resistant to cuts and sharp rocks, but that said the Goodyears will handle plenty of rocky gravel and dirt as long as the pressure is right.

So what's on the list for this vehicle : a weak point as I see it is the large centre muffler which hangs down quite low. I plan to get a muffler shop to fit a smaller unit and re-route the exhaust from the converter back so it runs closer to the floorpan of the vehicle.
Next, I will fit a set of polyairs to the rear to reduce sag with the camper trailer on the back or when fully loaded. This vehicle has the raised King springs front and rear, so it's a little higher than normal anyway.

A sump guard and transfer case bash plate would be handy, I will make one to fit shortly since the genuine item is only plastic and is at least $400. A little more protection for the oil pan on the transmission is in order as well.

I have the option of going up one size in tyres to 235-65 r17, but that seems like an expensive option to only gain a few mm by the time you buy 2 + spares etc. Maybe one day, but for now the stock tyre size is fine.

A bullbar would be nice, ECB does a big tube bar for $$$$ but this may affect clearance slightly in the front, I will have to check this out. The nudge bars available all hang down way too low. The genuine Ford bullbar is $2k+ fitted, once again I will have to see if the clearance at the front is an issue.

So that's a 'quick' rundown on the Ford, sorry to bore you all. In case anyone is interested I am planning a trip this June/July in the Ford,the itinerary is still pretty open but will include Menindee lakes, White cliffs, Trilby station, Culgoa NP, Lightning Ridge. The usual Innamincka, Cam Corner, Birdsville and Simpson will be in there in some order as well. Time permitting.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me swisscheeseonrye@dodo.com.au

Cheers,

Matthew

AnswerID: 291680

Sponsored Links