How do you secure the jockey wheel?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 14:55
ThreadID: 55248 Views:4775 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have just purchased a Trailermate jockey wheel/jack and am thinking it might attract opportunistic theives.Has anyone worked out a way to secure your jockey wheel from being undone?
A couple of holes through the top of the bracket and a padlock maybe?
Grateful for any suggestions,
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:11

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:11
Mary ,
I had one attached but took it off due to it hitting the ground in low level caravan park sites.
However this was basically the set up.

Fit a Jockey wheel coupling to inside of drawbar at the back near van with bolts.

On handle used to tighten the coupling up weld a link of small chain

Through this link attach a shackle and to the shackle attach a length of chain.

When affixing the bolt to hold the coupling on
1.put a small section of chain on the inside (before the nut),so that it can be connected to the other piece of chain coming from coupling handle , with a padlock.
2. Make up a small metal bracket with a hole drilled so that head of bolt will hold the bracket to underside of drawbar . Attach when fitting coupling

1 above will provide security so that trailer mate cannot be removed without a key or cutting the chain.

Attach a small length of chain to the metal bracket and at other end attach a small snap shackle (? one you can open by pressing with fingers)
In base plate of Trailermate drill a hole in one corner big enough to take the snap shackle.
When snap shackle is connected via this hole it will hold the trailermate up whilst travelling.

Hope that makes sense

Pedro

AnswerID: 291167

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:20

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:20
Hi Pedro,
thanks for the ideas.
I am not concerned about when travelling but when in situ.I think i get what you mean about putting some chain inside the coupling before thightning and attach to a welded link in the handle with padlock.I am finding it hard to picture the skackle and bolt bit though.Any chance of a pic?
As mine is a small van it's not the weight of it that matters just makes it all a lot easier at the end of the day's journey,
Mary

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556586

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 19:05

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 19:05
When affixing the bolt to hold the coupling on
1.put a small section of chain on the inside (before the nut),so that it can be connected to the other piece of chain coming from coupling handle , with a padlock.
2. Make up a small metal bracket with a hole drilled so that head of bolt will hold the bracket to underside of drawbar . Attach when fitting coupling

Mary
It is with the no 2 section i'm having difficulty.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556600

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:06

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:06
Right Mary with you now.

No photos so will explain as best I can

Imagine a square (though it need not be square) piece of metal say 1 .5 inches each side.

Through this drill a hole, towards one edge, big enough to allow the bolt to pass through
When affixing jockey wheel coupling ensure bolt passes from outside of drawbar through this metal square before it is bolted on the other side of drawbar.

So there will be the Bolt head then the bolt going through the metal square through to the inside of the drawbar where nut is attached to hold coupling in place.

You may need to adjust the metal square so the chain which is attached to it reaches the base plate of Trailermate to make a snug assembly via snap shackle.

When responding to this message I suggest you send it as a reply rather than a follow up as I nearly missed your follow up post.
Siing out if still not clear.

Pedro
FollowupID: 556607

Follow Up By: blown4by - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 23:27

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 23:27
Get one of those swing up/down pin/ lock in place swivel plate mounts that weld to the 'A' frame and then weld the jockey wheel to the plate. Comes with a pre-fitted grease nipple too. That way it is pretty hard to steal and once the weight is off it you just swing it up 90 degrees out of the way of the ground and fit the locking pin that locks it up or down and it wil lnever hit the ground when travelling unlike the idiots that leave their jockey wheel 50 mm off the ground because they are too lazy or too stupid to remove it and store it elsewhere when travelling.
FollowupID: 556878

Reply By: normglenda - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:20

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 16:20
Hi Mary
I have a trailmate. I have seen a couple of people weld one or two
chain links on the handle of the bracket that holds that trailmate/jockey wheel and then weld one chain link to either the trailmate or A frame then join together with a padlock. EG the chain links are so tight the bracket handle can not be undone without undoing the padlock.

I have not done mine yet, partly because I have never run across a thieve that has taken anything (yet any way). But I should get around to doing it particulary as I have a welder and piece of mind
Regards
Norm
AnswerID: 291170

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:25

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:25
Thanks Norm,
Will put the thinking cap on tomorrow and have a try at these ideas,
Cheers,
Mary

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 556590

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:25

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:25
Just thinking.....some electric fences run off 12v, pretty hard for a quiet, sneaky thief to remain quiet grabbing the live.....
AnswerID: 291203

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:54

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 18:54
Mary,
you said

".I am finding it hard to picture the skackle and bolt bit though."

Please copy and paste the bit you need clarified.

Pedro
AnswerID: 291206

Reply By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 17:02

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 17:02
Many thanks to Pedro and Norm,
My Trailermate is now safe from all but the angle grinder in hip pocket type of thieves!
Cheers ,
Mary

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 291413

Sponsored Links