Nissan Pathfinder 2008 tow bar

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 19:57
ThreadID: 55260 Views:4363 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Do anyone know why Nissan do not recommend the use of levelling bars in combination with their tow bar?
If levelling bars are not used then how much drop can be expected at the rear end with a 250kg ball load?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunaruna - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:17

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:17
Because the genuine nissan towbar twists when levelling bars are used.

If you haven't purchased yet, get it without the towbar then fit a hayman reece. Problem solved. The hayman is designed slightly different and heavier duty than the original. It's an easy towbar to fit, can be done by anyone with spanner swinging skills and a jigsaw.
AnswerID: 291228

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:22

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:22
They don't recommend levelling bars because the original tow bar was a poor design which allowed it to twist and they were snapping off attachment bolts. The tow bars have been redesigned, but are still not up to the standard of the Hayman Reece style of bar.

A bit of light reading: PCoA R51 towbar thread.
AnswerID: 291231

Follow Up By: Member - John L (WA) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:32

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 22:32
Hoyks Thanks for the link, my Van has very similar loads but is a smaller Kedron 17ft that I intend to use on off the bitumen on dirt roads.
Nissan now state in the 2008 Pathfinder info booklet:-
"Nissan does not recommend the fitting of load levelling or weight distribution devices when used with a Nissan Genuine towbar. When fitted and used correctly the Nissan Genuine towbar is capable of meeting the towbar/towball capacity stated in the above table"
This to me means they admit to a design deficiency in their towbar for all common recommendations of setup for caravanners using levelling bars.
Do you think the Pathfinder is solid enough for dirt road use?
My present tug is a Terracan CRDi manual but its problem is that 4WD low cannot be used on hard surfaces due to front and rear drives being locked therefore it is very difficult to get off the line on hill starts and negotiating tight parking turns up ramps on van sites otherwise it is a dream to tow with.
FollowupID: 556661

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:18

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:18
"My present tug is a Terracan CRDi manual but its problem is that 4WD low cannot be used on hard surfaces"

The only vehicles I know of that you can engage low range without locking the centre diff are Land Rovers.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 556671

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:38

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:38
John,
"My present tug is a Terracan CRDi manual but its problem is that 4WD low cannot be used on hard surfaces"

That problem is an easy fix!!, the Terracan has a system whereby the front hubs are engaged via vaccum at the same time as the transfer case (in fact just prior).

A modification can be done using a very simple vacuum/electric switch (like those used in many cars like falcons and commodores to turn vacuum operated things like EGR and other things etc)

The vacuum switch can be operated via a dash switch whenever you want this function and you can engage 4wd with the front diff dissenaged.
Check http://forum.australia4wd.com/ some guys have done it there...
In vehicles like the old (manual operated hubs) Patrol and cruisers it was easy, you just don't engage the hubs.

If yours is a Highlander then you can't do this but I believe the highlander allows you to engage 4wd low on hard surfaces.
FollowupID: 556738

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 18:12

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 18:12
I suppose they are up to dirt, the guys in the club with them love them. Personally, I haven't ever even been behind the wheel of an R51.

The wanting low range 2WD, I'm not sure they are capable of doing that. I think engaging low will engage the front diff and lock the centre diff. The front hubs are either fixed or auto too, so unless you can overide/bypass the solenoid on the transfer case then it's going to want to drive the front wheels.

One guy tried looking for a plug to bypass the 4x4 solenoid, I don't know how he went.
FollowupID: 556794

Reply By: Angler - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:31

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 20:31
Change it quick to a hayman reese before you tow anything heavier than a small tralier. Same price ten times better.

Pooley
AnswerID: 291235

Sponsored Links