Short Trip Report

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:43
ThreadID: 55269 Views:2295 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I had booked a week's long service leave for Speed Week 2008. Due to the event being postponed/cancelled as Lake Gairdner is wet, I said to a couple of mates, lets go for a trip anyway. We have a common friend at Marree so that was the destination. We left the Riverland last Sunday Morning, travelling through Chowilla to Dangalli Conservation Park where we stopped for morning coffee with Mate Osborne the ranger at Canopus Station. We then continued on through Lilydale and Panaramatee to Yunta where we stopped for steak sandwiches at the Roadhouse. Very dry and dusty through that country to Yunta.
We then moved along quickly;y through Waukaringa and Frome Downs to the Gammon Ranges, going into the National Park to Grindells Hut campgound. I cooked T-Bones, mushies, fried spuds and a salad for tea then an early night. Despite sleeping only about 2 feet from my front right tyre, I didn't hear it leaking, but in the morning it was flat. A small, sharp stone was the culprit, it was extracted and a plug fitted and pumped back up, no worries. Monday morning we travelled up to Arkaroola, (as an aside we wanted to go from Grindells Hut through the Park to Yankaninna, buit there is now a sign saying no access to Yankaninna without prior permission. ) so from Arkaroola we went north to the Wheal Turner mine site. We explored a couple of side tracks which was fun and exercised low range through some narrow, rutted and loose rocky tracks. I tore off a rear mudflap here. We then left the Arkaroola Sanctuary and followed a faint track through, Yankaninna and Mt Searle back to the main road to Copley, then quickly moving on to Copley for lunch and fuel. After quick beer at Lyndhurst with the publican Mr No Personality. we arrived at Marree in the late afternoon, catching up with our friends. On Tuesday we went to Mungeranie for lunch, I had the opportunity to drive my mates V8 Troopy work car there, was quite impressed with the performance but not with the fuel consumption. We had drinks and lunch there, great hamburgers as tall as a beer can.Image Could Not Be Found
Returning to Marree my off sider fractured a tyre, two plugs wouldn't seal it so it was changed, another sharp rock was the culprit. Tea in the Marree Pub then an early start to come home Wednesday, travelling through Hawker, Peterborough, Burra and Morgan. No probs but a funny smell around Peterborogh like home brew gone wrong, maybe other forumites may know what it was. Great trip only 4 days but around 1800 km, and numerous beers, beats working any time.
Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:08

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 23:08
At a guess, I'd say the "funny smell" would correlate very closely with the 8 inch hamburger!

Thanks for the report...
AnswerID: 291295

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 21:51

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 21:51
Boy Garbutt, only one reply, thats not very fair...
AnswerID: 291484

Reply By: Garbutt - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 08:39

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 08:39
Yeah, Richard, thought there may have been a little interest particularly re the no access to Yankaninna from the Gammons Ranges NP.

Not to worry.

GB
AnswerID: 291545

Sponsored Links