Weber Q BBQs

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:01
ThreadID: 55282 Views:16337 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can I please have some feedback on either the Baby Weber Q or the Weber Q BBQ. They look good - I don't know what size would be better - and if they really are as good as they say. Ta.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:20

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:20
Hi Straddie,
I have a Baby Q and it is fantastic. Best thing I ever bought. Use it all the time. Accessories are expensive but I bought the travel bag and hot plates. The stand is nice but too dear.
Very happy chappy.
Steve
AnswerID: 291350

Reply By: cackles - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:01

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:01
we have a Baby Q and rarely use our butane burner now.
My partner made a ply box for it to travel in and at camp the box turns into it's stand.
You can stirfry, roast, bake cakes, does the best sunny side up eggs, toast, pop the lid off your tinned veges and put them in for
5-10mins while carving the roast. Honestly does the best, melt in your mouth roast.
As for size, we have done a large leg of lamb and a LARGE christmas ham in it with ease, although it will only feed 4-6 if you use it for roast and vegies.
HINT - I try to plan our meals around the weber, that way dinner is cooking while I enjoy afternoon drinks.

You won't regret it.

cackles
AnswerID: 291359

Reply By: porl - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:31

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:31
ditto the above, but beware, the age old practice of watching your stuff cook with tongs in hand and beer in the other is not for this BBQ, it's lid down all the time. Drives me crazy when people get tongs and feel they have to turn the sausages every 3 minutes, they release the heat and wonder why it takes so long to cook them ...
AnswerID: 291375

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:39
Hi Straddie,

I have to agree with the other replies. I love my Baby Q. I rarely use the camper stove now as I take the Baby Q away everywhere. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner and cooks magnificent roasts. The accessories are expensive, as is the bbq itself, but you cant lose with a Weber. Saving my lunch money to buy the stand next and I love the idea of it all packing up and fitting in the travel bag. Only problem I have with it all is the aroma of cooked fat that permiates the travel bag. To ease this I remove the bbq when I am at home and let it air.

I did recently see a bbq of similar size at Rays, I think it was a coleman, that was $200 cheaper, so maybe have a look there too.

Cheers

AnswerID: 291376

Reply By: hazo - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 13:54

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 13:54
We have the baby Q in our caravan and its bigger brother for home use!
The main difference is the lid height (so a bigger roast can fit in) and the webber 200 uses slightly more gas having a bigger burner.
The one stand fits both, but I have seen stands home made to fit side of caravan.
We cook almost everything in ours. The coleman is IMO no comparison ! and yes we did try one but it never seemed to heat up properly!
Our baby Q has a longer hose and fits into a bayonet point on side of caravan so you do not need to take the extra gas bottle either.
It is not just a barby but a camp oven so anything you can cook in an oven will cook in the webber.
Bread, damper and cakes come out superb!
AnswerID: 291386

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:36

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:36
The Weber BabyQ 100 is the best gas BBQ I've ever bought or used. I took it with me on a 5 week trip around Tassie during Xmas 06/07. It allowed me to easily cook a lamb roast on Xmas day that was just superb. I did this in the rain at the Richmond van park outside my tent and the heat was never affected. It fitted easily in my 4WD along with my tent and all other camping equipment and allowed me to also BBQ a number of meals as well. (steaks done this way are just amazing as are chops.

They may seem expensive but what they produce for the price is just brilliant. The most important thing to remember is that they are set and forget. If they cook slightly overtime your meat will not be affected because of the unique cooking methods that Weber seem to have conjured up. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the manual and you have foolproof cooking. In other words - don't lift the lid before time

I also own a Weber charcoal barby and this is also amazing if you have the time and patience to set it up properly.
AnswerID: 291446

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 00:59

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 00:59
Holden4th,
I am interested in the fact that you have a Weber charcoal BBQ as well as the BabyQ. I have resisted going over to gas as I prefer the taste of charcoal (Heatbeads actually) for steak,chicken, satays etc. We rarely cook roasts. Do you think the gas Weber gives the same taste as the charcoal unit? We have the big kettle at home and the smaller square box ("Go Anywhere?") with a lid for travelling.

Kingo
FollowupID: 556882

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 08:55

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 08:55
No, you will never be able to replicate that Weber Charcoal taste but you can come close. You do get the taste of the cooking meat being circulated and the carbon build up inside the BabyQ adss as well but never to the extent of the Charcoal Weber. What BOTH give you is beautifully cooked meats that are tender and juicy and this is the main reason I use a Weber for nearly all my cooking. The BabyQ saves you all that preparation time if all you want is a couple of steaks or chops or similar for your meal. I still use the charcoal Weber for my roasts at home and for smoking chickens, my own home made sausages and for when I have guests.
FollowupID: 556896

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 01:47

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 01:47
Straddie,
I have tried all sorts of cooking methods in the bush and the best I have ever used is the Baby q........ I can pull up get the Q warming up, set up camp, cook dinner Steak and Peas on the Q, tin of spuds on the trangia, eaten washed up and in bed within 45mins.....
I have cooked a roast for 7 including veg.....
Just used it for 2/1/2 months in winter every night and it is the best barbie eva.... Am using it all the time at home now......
GET ONE.... YOU WILL NEVER BE DISSAPOINTED
Peter
AnswerID: 291525

Sponsored Links