Trucks and loose loads

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 09:51
ThreadID: 55386 Views:2031 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Brethren

Driving home from work Friday midday, just having topped up with diesel, I had the utter misfortune to have my TD6 in a traffic lane that suddenly became the deposit spot for a bloody heavy and largish steel box that had ejected itself from the bed of a truck in the lane beside me.

To make a long and terrifying story short, the TD6 needs a new front passenger side guard and door, and the door (front of the door) pillar is out of shape meaning that the passengers door is out of place. Bits of the thing somehow flung themselves far enough to wipe of the perspex dust deflector thingie over the back tailgate doors, and the sheepskin seatcover on the drivers side will need replacing I suspect as well!

In all of this, my foot came off the brake and I hit my leg on something that provided a nice cut to my ankle.

Not happy - repairs believed to be in the order of $4-5,000.

Of course, truck continued on its merry way, and I was left perched nicely over the corner of the steel box, with the damage to contemplate.

I know truckies are busy guys, and I know we all have a soft spot for them out on the roads, but around town they are often a danger.

I now have to get the TD6 to NR<MA to have it assessed. This is my third accident in 37 years, two now caused by things falling of trucks; the third was me inserting my Austin Healy Sprite under the arse end of a double decker bus in Hong Kong.

Regards,

Len
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ole Grizzly - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:38

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:38
You can relax now...as things always come in 3's

Pleased to know that only the sheep skin seat cover got hurt.

What was in the steel box..any good as a shed tool box?
AnswerID: 291887

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:59

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:59
Len any vehicle with an unrestrained load is a danger....not very PC to single out trucks....keep that up and we fall into the same category of the ANTI 4WD brigade. Ban anything that is not the same as what 'I" drive!!

I feel for your misfortune but iressponsible drivers drive all types of vehicles and many truckies are VERY professional and very careful. I would hate to not have them in a city...the freight costs of everything from vehicle parts to groceries would skyrocket the purchase price!!!!

I hope it all works out ok in the long run... I would be very dissapointed too if my old rig was damaged in the way yours would be!

Any chance the servo cameras picked up the vehicle as it passed??

Matt.
AnswerID: 291899

Reply By: downtools - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:58

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:58
G'day Len,
We have our TD6 booked in for a new bull bar on Wed!!
Similar story. My wife was in traffic in Castle Hill (NSW) when a large truck with large trailer carrying a road side generator, pulled off the road in front of her. As the truck and trailer went over the footpath, the trailer detached itself from the truck and rolled back cross the raod and into the ARB bar. Bent the front corner back a little and AAMI have agreed to supply, fit a new bar, after some exchange of words on my part! They wanted to repair the bar!? No thanks.
Good luck with getting it fixed and I know far more good truckies than bad.
Cheers Nifty.
AnswerID: 291908

Sponsored Links